Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you respond... Your loosing weight? What are you doing are you ok?

Personally, I tell people. I made the decision that I refused to have shame about this.

I believe the "secrets" that we keep take a significant toll on our mind, body and spirit and keep us stuck in behavior and thought patterns that suck the life out of us (and probably had something to do with why we ended up needing WLS in the first place.)

People at work ask however I have no interest in explaining my health hostory or health decisions to them. I tell them that I cut calories. I focus on eating Protein and lower carbs as well as exercise.

at first I kept it to myself.. I didnt want everyone to know my business.. that was before the surgery.. but after the surgery and the weight started dropping off.. and I went back to work.. everyone was so WOW.. you look great.. what did you do? So I manned up and told them.. and I was afraid at first of the responses I would get.... but you know.. everyone I worked with.. but one.. thought I was doing the right thing and I looked great at that point... both my jobs.. I have great support from them in telling me keep up the good work..and how great I look..and they are calling me skinny.. (never heard that before lol) they looked out for me in the beginning to make sure I didnt hurt myself at work or anything to damage the sleeve with lifting or anything.. they are wonderful people.. only had one person..and I think she was just jealous is all.. she stated to me that she will lose her weight the old fashion way.. by dieting.. and doesnt need surgery to do that... im like ok good for you.. wish you all the luck.. that was 4 months ago.. she says she is down 15lbs.. even tho I dont see it on her.. I tell her "great job".. im down 98lbs in 6mo and smile sweetly at her... LMAO Jealous I tell you.. I dont let people like that get to me.. I just know how well im doing and how healthy I am choosing the right things.. I still see her eating things not good for her..and she makes excuses.. just this once.. yeah been there done that.. thats why I needed to have surgery... so I look people in the eye..and tell them Ive had the sleeve.. they are amazed and happy for me.. maybe there might be that one time I tell someone..and they decide they might want to do that.. and lose the weight and become healthier.. .maybe they might be diabetic.. .or have high blood pressure..and come off those meds.. I will feel that I have helped someone... I was on no medications before surgery.. I had no medical issues other than being overweight.. the word morbidly obese opened my eyes.. I dont ever want that title again... huge eye opener.. so I tell everyone what I had done.. and then you would be surprised the storys people will tell you about a family member that had the same and are doing well too.. its not like we have cooties or something... we saved our own lives... we made a difference in ourselves..and hopefully with telling people.. maybe make a difference for them or a loved one... best of luck to everyone.. I just know.. Im 38lbs from my goal weight..and im very happy I had the surgery.

I tell some, some I don't. If someone asks and I feel like my story could help them, I'll tell. If it's someone I don't want to tell, someone who is just nosy, you can always honestly say, I'm on a doctor supervised diet or I'm working with a dietitian. Both are true.

I tell some, some I don't. If someone asks and I feel like my story could help them, I'll tell. If it's someone I don't want to tell, someone who is just nosy, you can always honestly say, I'm on a doctor supervised diet or I'm working with a dietitian. Both are true.

I think that's eventually going to be my approach, once I'm further down the line.

I know several people who had weight loss surgery, and it seems they are always defined by their surgery. Example: "You know my teacher Ms Kendra? She is the one who had weight loss surgery...", or "Oh, I just love her. She had weight loss surgery, did you know that?"

I don't want to be defined by that. I know many people who are talked about long before I meet them, and the first thing I learn about them is that they had weight loss surgery. You tell one persona t work, and soon people you don't even know will know your medical history. Sad, but true.

I lovrvwhen people say its dumb or the easy way out. I believe this is tge hard way out of obesity. We are just brave enough to take that chance. Not only is it a new"diet" that involves way less than the normal diet. ..at first there is no cheating at all. You physically can't handle it. Then you've gone through major surgery so it is incentive not to ever get out of control. We all know how the old fashion way works. Its a never ending cycle! My brother wasnt supportive. He thinks I can just eat less. I told him that I don't need judgement or opinions and he has no clue. I just need his support. He said he was sorry!

I lovrvwhen people say its dumb or the easy way out. I believe this is tge hard way out of obesity. We are just brave enough to take that chance. Not only is it a new"diet" that involves way less than the normal diet. ..at first there is no cheating at all. You physically can't handle it. Then you've gone through major surgery so it is incentive not to ever get out of control. We all know how the old fashion way works. Its a never ending cycle! My brother wasnt supportive. He thinks I can just eat less. I told him that I don't need judgement or opinions and he has no clue. I just need his support. He said he was sorry!

This is an issue I'm having trouble resolving. I'm still pre-op but trying to decide how I'll respond to people saying I took the easy way out. Your idea is brilliant. WLS is the hard way out given that we are willing to undergo major surgery in order to lose weight.

I tell them I stopped eating so much and stopped drinking soda. That is the truth! I don't feel it's anyone's business what my medical history is.

Look at you 1 lb to goal!!!!!!!! Congrats!

I also tell the truth. I tell them I Needed Medical help. Everyone has been very supportive.

I also tell the truth. I tell them I Needed Medical help. Everyone has been very supportive.

This is a very personal question to me. It is my BODY, and I don't allow my body to become a topic of conversation. When people tell me I look good, I say thank you and immediately change the subject by asking them how they have been, etc. When they ask me what I am doing to lose weight, I say "starving myself" and change the subject. I just don't engage people in conversation about my body.

Gr8 suggestions all, bc it is a personal journey. Just bc we choose not to tell someone the EXACT nature of the weightloss doesnt mean we r ashamed or lying about it, unless you flat out lie, lol. My hubby nd I talked about it, nd like we said, its no ones business as to how I started my journey, but if I choose to say somethn, its like everyone has said, I've had my eating habits changed, Ive limited my calorie intake, I exercise more, blah blah...its all the truth. But I've told people at church and my neighbor that I'm seein a nut, and will be put on a low cal high Protein way of eating, for life. So when they see the weight comn off, they won't be so curious to pry any further. I mean, no one asked how I got fat or how I did it, so don't be nosey now tryn to figure out how I'm tryn to become healthier!! Just my thots. But right now I'm still hoop jumpn preop:/ but gl to u all:)

I think what you tell people is a personal decision. I have been very open about having had surgery but told very few people (only very close friends and immediate family) prior to my surgery. I waited until I had my surgery date to tell my parents because I thought my Mom would be very worried and upset and try to talk me out of it. I also had concerns with my brother and thought he wouldn't be supportive but to my surprise they were all supportive and no one tried to dissuade me. Guess they figured I needed the help of the surgery to lose the weight, and of course that is true. Once I was about a month post-op I put it on Facebook so deffinitely not a secret! LOL! I am appalled by some people's experiences of such hateful negativity from so-called friends, co-workers and family members. I haven't experienced any negativity at all. I am proud of my choice and speak openly about itis someone asks me. It takes courage and determination to go through with the surgery and even more determination to stay on track once you are fully healed and as you can begin to eat a bit more. This is just my experience, thus far. As I said, everyone has to decide for themselves who, what, when and if they tell others about their surgery.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2

I have been up front about my surgery. I only had one person say that they thought I didn't need it, and a brief explanation of my medical issues swung them into my "support" group. Now folks tell me how much my weight loss shows and ask me how much I've lost which feels really good. AND, two people are considering the surgery!

This isn't the answer for everyone, but was for me. Best of luck in whatever you choose to tell people.