Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else having a hard time with compliments...?

I always thought I was a pretty person… But I guess now maybe I am what other people consider pretty so A LOT of people in my life are making comments and giving me compliments… I understand 70+lbs is a lot of weight I mean it is 2 ½ of my 3 year old and I don’t have that on my anymore. I guess that changes the way my face looks but I still feel like I look like the same person. I feel like I am the same person only smaller… I need to learn to take compliments better. People tell me how great I look and how pretty I am and I get embarrassed and say thank you… But I need to exude more confidence. When people tell me how pretty I am I need to understand that it isn’t that they didn’t think I was pretty before, they just see a different side of me now… Is anyone else having a hard time with the compliments or did you? If you did how did you learn to just accept it?

Ugh, I absolutely hate compliments!! Except from my hubby :)

I have a hard time accepting them from certain people. From People that were positive and joyful from the start I can take tose ones no problems. Its like we are celebrating every size difference and everything positive.

But from Random people or people I don;t know very well, I do say aww thanks and smile and then talk about them to get it off me.

Your right you need to smile, beam and say thank you its been a struggle but I feel great and that answers alot of questions.

I have always had a difficult time with compliments.. Not just about physical compliments, but about food I cook or bake or my decorating. But I'm shy.. Not! Lol.. I don't know why I'm like flustered when someone compliments me.. No doubt it's some disorder.. Syndrome or I wasn't rocked enough as a child etc;)

I'm having a hard time accepting compliments! Of course I smile, which I am smiling 24/7 but even when it's said... I'm like oh no stop, that can't be true. I am a shy person, maybe that is the reason. Maybe it is just something I need to get used too!

I get compliments and then "OMG, don't lose any more weight, your face is so hollow" So mine are a wash. The fact that I'm OLD makes the hidden wrinkles shine through which were filled in with fat before. I think overall I have a difficult time with compliments because I don't feel any different, not any thinner, not any prettier and surely not any more intelligent. I think people who compliment you at times are the same people who wouldn't have spoken to you when you were fatter. I hate those compliments. You all know the ones that come from the prejudice folk against fat, short or not so beautiful people.

Yes, but I've been told to accept graciously and just say "thank you". Still feels weird.

Shel - Olathe, KS

I get compliments and then "OMG, don't lose any more weight, your face is so hollow" So mine are a wash. The fact that I'm OLD makes the hidden wrinkles shine through which were filled in with fat before. I think overall I have a difficult time with compliments because I don't feel any different, not any thinner, not any prettier and surely not any more intelligent. I think people who compliment you at times are the same people who wouldn't have spoken to you when you were fatter. I hate those compliments. You all know the ones that come from the prejudice folk against fat, short or not so beautiful people.

what kind of jerk would say that?!? I'd be tempted to say "I guess my face matches your soul." haha

I do. I started with the thank yous and it helped. I also learned to return a compliment so that the focus is no longer on me. Im not sure how well this will work when I lose the weight.

I work in a very busy Dr's office and many people only come in once a year and you'd be surprised how many people have told me I look older. I have said this before, when I was fatter, I would hear , "you have such a pretty face, if only you could take off a few pounds", now the "weightless and make you look older". I am very pleasant and thank those that sincerely compliment me, but after a day of negative comments, I get thinking about robbing a bank for the facelift. :-) Over all, I am healthier, love being able to shop online and not worry about trying stuff on. I workout 5 days a week and love it. I don't feel any different inside. Same ole me.

what kind of jerk would say that?!? I'd be tempted to say "I guess my face matches your soul." haha

I have a hard time accepting compliments and I too am an only child. My wife tells me how good I look all the time. However, I don't see any changes so its kind of hard to hear/believe them. However, since it's my wife, I am gracious and smile.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Generally people just say "you look great" and I say "thanks, I feel great" that seems to be my standard answer.

Some people give compliments and mean them. "Thank you" is the appropriate response.

Sadly, some people use backhanded or negative "compliments" (your face is hollow, you shouldn't lose any more weight, etc.) that are not meant to make you feel good but reflect something nasty inside of them. Those people generally just get a stare and blank face from me. I'm not into intimidation. I turn and walk away - they know what they've said. It's usually jealousy.

I've been through this my whole life living on the Yo-Yo. To people whom I do not know well and do not consider friends, my response to "How much weight have you lost?" is usually something along the lines of "my body is not an appropriate topic of conversation." You know when someone is trying to be supportive; unfortunately, there are whole bunches of folks who are not supportive. I have no time for them.

When friends ask how much weight I have lost, I am happy to share.

I literally just laughed out loud for like 5 minutes. That is exactly the response I would say.