Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for all the "Oh my god, what have I done?" people...

Okay, I'm a pre-sleever going thru all the hoops right now (twice since I changed hospitals after being disappointed with the first one.) They (thankfully) will accept my psych eval tho from the the first hospital. Anyway, I also passed my psych eval but I don't think it's an eval to see if you're able to cope with the sleeve, I think it's just an eval to make sure you're really not "out there" mentally. I could be wrong but in theory, you won't know if you're ready for the sleeve before hand since you're not living the "sleeved" life. They also don't want you to think that after being sleeved you're going to become a super model or be beating men/women off (altho that could happen ~ haha!) I think they just want to know if you're in a "stable" place mentally & if you are, they get to check off that part of the insurance or program requirement.

Will people have regrets? Of course! food is a HUGE part of our lives...or we wouldn't be here. I'm guessing it will feel like a death in the family, there will be mourning to go thru until you finally start seeing changes in your body & I'm assuming that eating healthier will give you more energy & feel better, exercise & then the endorphines kick in. It's a win win once you get to that other side, but I'm guessing that the "getting there" part is really sucky.

Oh Lordy...please remind me that I'm going to mourn food & it will be yucky for me the first part of this journey. I know in my head right now that it's not going to be a picnic. I'll have to work hard & I'll miss certain foods at first, & at the very least I'll miss chewing food the first few weeks, but am I ready? Maybe. Will I have regrets? Maybe. Will I be healthier & live longer? Maybe. Will I like the new me when I'm 100+ lbs down? DEFINITELY! (Even if I have to toss my excess stomach skin in a wheel barrow & push it ahead of me & toss my loosey skin boobs over my shoulders!) Will this all be worth it? Most likely. Is it time for me to shut my trap now since I really don't know what I'm talking about? Absolutely! :wacko:

Yeah! What Pixiedust said!!!!!!!

And I could be wrong but you are asking about the people that have true regrets not just the first week or two of "what the f**k did I do?"

Yes, exactly! I'm pretty sure everyone has doubts for a while after surgery, but I"m talking about the people that really, truly believe they made the wrong decision and are unhappy with their choice to have the surgery.

I think if you wake up and realize 85% (or so) of a non diseased major organ was removed and don't ask, what the eff did I do? you probably have much larger issues than your weight! But the people who "this didn't get real for" until post op ... What do you say ? The reality is that it's gone and ain't going to grow back

I didn't ever feel this way...I read up on the surgery for 3 years before having it done, and never doubted my choice. When I woke up, all I could think was "Finally!"

I had an eval and I had some regrets the first week but I didn't find it to be abnormal or a sign of mental instability. The surgery is a major shock to your system and as much as everyone tries to prepare you, you don't really get it until you are in it. I was panicked because I couldn't get enough Protein in. I couldn't drink a lot so it was a sun up to sun down project. I couldn't stand the taste of the clear liquid Protein Drinks. I was also nauseous most of the time the first week or so. Once I got past that I was fine and now couldn't be happier.

I regret mine very much so and I did have not one but two Pysch exams prior to surgery. They both said I was a candidate for the surgery.

(Even if I have to toss my excess stomach skin in a wheel barrow & push it ahead of me & toss my loosey skin boobs over my shoulders!)
LOL!!! This is my new favorite quote.....

I think if you wake up and realize 85% (or so) of a non diseased major organ was removed and don't ask, what the eff did I do? you probably have much larger issues than your weight! But the people who "this didn't get real for" until post op ... What do you say ? The reality is that it's gone and ain't going to grow back

Really? Perhaps you could explain to me what my larger issues would be? I'm a week postop and I have yet to ask "what the eff did I do". I don't have any regrets and I'm well aware it won't grow back.

Okay' date=' I'm a pre-sleever going thru all the hoops right now (twice since I changed hospitals after being disappointed with the first one.) They (thankfully) will accept my psych eval tho from the the first hospital. Anyway, I also passed my psych eval but I don't think it's an eval to see if you're able to cope with the sleeve, I think it's just an eval to make sure you're really not "out there" mentally. I could be wrong but in theory, you won't know if you're ready for the sleeve before hand since you're not living the "sleeved" life. They also don't want you to think that after being sleeved you're going to become a super model or be beating men/women off (altho that could happen ~ haha!) I think they just want to know if you're in a "stable" place mentally & if you are, they get to check off that part of the insurance or program requirement.

Will people have regrets? Of course! food is a HUGE part of our lives...or we wouldn't be here. I'm guessing it will feel like a death in the family, there will be mourning to go thru until you finally start seeing changes in your body & I'm assuming that eating healthier will give you more energy & feel better, exercise & then the endorphines kick in. It's a win win once you get to that other side, but I'm guessing that the "getting there" part is really sucky.

Oh Lordy...please remind me that I'm going to mourn food & it will be yucky for me the first part of this journey. I know in my head right now that it's not going to be a picnic. I'll have to work hard & I'll miss certain foods at first, & at the very least I'll miss chewing food the first few weeks, but am I ready? Maybe. Will I have regrets? Maybe. Will I be healthier & live longer? Maybe. Will I like the new me when I'm 100+ lbs down? DEFINITELY! (Even if I have to toss my excess stomach skin in a wheel barrow & push it ahead of me & toss my loosey skin boobs over my shoulders!) Will this all be worth it? Most likely. Is it time for me to shut my trap now since I really don't know what I'm talking about? Absolutely! :wacko: [/quote']

Yes I think it's mostly to see if you understand the procedure, the risks, complications, lifestyle change, what bad habits relating to eating you have so you can face them and don't go down that path again etc.

There's a few people on here that are "out there" and some how they....oh nevermind.

There's also people that get this surgery for all the wrong reasons so when they don't wake up looking like beyonce...they feel disappointed.

12 weeks out here...and still regretting it. Yes, I had evaluations. It was required by my insurance and dr. I passed everything. From talking to people who have had wls and reading posts on sites such as this, I think most go through the "OMG!" - regret stage. I have found that there are very few of us who do truly regret it & we are in a tiny minority here, but we do exist...I am accepting my decision each day more, but I still regret it every day...eating/drinking has gotten somewhat easier & losing weight is great...but if I could have it to do over, I wouldn't do it. I do not promote wls. I promote WW and exercise because it does work - consistency is the key. WLS - in my opinion - should only be for extreme circumstances. My extreme was mobility, or I wouldn't have considered wls and had wls. I've went into detail on other threads, and I have private messaged with those who want to know more about my regret..but in a nutshell for those curious, my life - unhealthy or not - was my life...and life is more than my clothing size or what Mr. scale says...and I didn't truly get that until I woke up from this surgery, regretting it.

For those who will have something negative to say to me yet again about me speaking my truth about my regret - Yes, I read, researched, and prepared for nearly a year ...my eyes were wide open...and I know exactly what my dr told me about the risks, consequences....and I know what I signed my name to on all my consent forms...and what those forms inform all of us about...

Really? Perhaps you could explain to me what my larger issues would be? I'm a week postop and I have yet to ask "what the eff did I do". I don't have any regrets and I'm well aware it won't grow back.

I think what he was saying is you have woken up from surgery and during the first part of the healing process, it's natural to second guess ourselves. I know that I did, several times.

I've seen enough of your posts so I can tell you what your major issues are, if you really want to know! :):D:P

Seriously, speedy recovery to you. I do enjoy your posts!

There is nothing wrong with those who don't question what they just did. There is a reason why insurance companies have certain req including psy evaluations. This is NOT an easy way out nor a simple process. You have to work at it. Some have it tougher than others but given time, any issues will pass. Granted there are exceptions. For those who are pre sleevers, do good research and ensure you are mentally ready. Surround yourself with a good support system. Ultimately if you go for it, best of luck. Remember that no one forced you to do this. You did.

Ps some of are very happy with our choice.

I think it's interesting how the "regret" posts come in clusters. They are all over this forum right now. It's like they feed on each other. I will get flamed for this but sometimes I wonder. Those posts sure do attract a lot more attention than " I'm feeling great and obeying all the rules" posts do. Maybe it's a weird kind of bonding or popularity? At least the ones that regret without any complications?

I think it's interesting how the "regret" posts come in clusters. They are all over this forum right now. It's like they feed on each other. I will get flamed for this but sometimes I wonder. Those posts sure do attract a lot more attention than " I'm feeling great and obeying all the rules" posts do. Maybe it's a weird kind of bonding or popularity? At least the ones that regret without any complications?

Misty, I'm fairly new to the forum but I've noticed what you said is true. What surprises me is the lack of serious research. I went to support groups and looked up the good and the bad. One can't be guaranteed anything in life, but you can be prepared.

12 weeks out here...and still regretting it. Yes' date=' I had evaluations. It was required by my insurance and dr. I passed everything. From talking to people who have had wls and reading posts on sites such as this, I think most go through the "OMG!" - regret stage. I have found that there are very few of us who do truly regret it & we are in a tiny minority here, but we do exist...I am accepting my decision each day more, but I still regret it every day...eating/drinking has gotten somewhat easier & losing weight is great...but if I could have it to do over, I wouldn't do it. I do not promote wls. I promote WW and exercise because it does work - consistency is the key. WLS - in my opinion - should only be for extreme circumstances. My extreme was mobility, or I wouldn't have considered wls and had wls. I've went into detail on other threads, and I have private messaged with those who want to know more about my regret..but in a nutshell for those curious, my life - unhealthy or not - was my life...and life is more than my clothing size or what Mr. scale says...and I didn't truly get that until I woke up from this surgery, regretting it.

For those who will have something negative to say to me yet again about me speaking my truth about my regret - Yes, I read, researched, and prepared for nearly a year ...my eyes were wide open...and I know exactly what my dr told me about the risks, consequences....and I know what I signed my name to on all my consent forms...and what those forms inform all of us about...[/quote']

Can you let me know why you have such regrets? I expect you to post when anyone has doubts. I have tried Atkins, WW, and many others and lost 50-100lbs each time but always gained it back. I am not being negative but trying to understand your rationale.