Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss started

Surgery march 13 th on may 29 th my hair is falling out I am taking prenatal Vitamins and high doses of Biotin any other ideas?

nope just let it happen. Nothing will stop it. Just let it be and it will slow down

try using a good Shampoo and conditioner. i also try to avoid using any heat, dyes, etc on my hair. however i am 5 months out and shedding alot!

im not experiencing that but what I am experiencing is how people think that they know everything and are negative towards people. just keep doing what you are doing with the Biotin it will help.

I was sleeved September 12th, the first 6 months you really do lose a lot of hair..but at just over 8 months, hair is coming back in and no more hair loss..

Stay hydrated, take your Vitamins and Protein protein protein!

I'm also 8 1/2 months out and have lost well over half of my hair. Started about month 3 and didn't let up at all until about month 6. Do not inflict any torture on your hair like color, perms, or other chemicals. Use an all natural conditioner like olive oil, argan oil, heck, even good ol' mayo at least once a week and leave it on for a LONG time (I used some sort of heat and left mine on for a couple hours !) Just stay away from chemicals (which is all commercial conditioners really are: aka chemical Soup with some fragrance) Once the hair is gone, it's gone, so concentrate on a healthy scalp (a rinse of apple cider vinegar works great and the smell is gone with a good rinse and 5 minutes). Biotin and a good multi Vitamin are a big help for sure, but the only thing that really slows it down and promotes regrowth is good old Protein. I still have to drink shakes even at almost 9 months out to get my protein in, and staying hydrated is still VERY hard, but VERY important for everything including hair. I'm so thankful for all the spikey little sprigs of new growth I have (only about an inch long and sticking out everywhere !), but I really HATE looking like a used brillo pad :P But I'll take it any way I can get it ! It does slow down so don't lose hope. Just concentrate on keeping your scalp and your diet healthy and it will come... Hang in there :) Now who has the remedy ideas for thighs that are beginning to look like my grandmother's Austrian curtains ???? :wacko:

Thanks for posting this Lotti. I know we all read it a lot and know it can happen... but when it starts it's startling. I've just started to notice shedding at 4mos out. There's some good advice here. Hang in there.

Thanks for posting this Lotti. I know we all read it a lot and know it can happen... but when it starts it's startling. I've just started to notice shedding at 4mos out. There's some good advice here. Hang in there.

I feel your pain. My hair loss has been a bit nuts lately. I noticed I wasn't getting as much Protein as I needed so I have adjusted my meals to include more Protein. Hopefully that will help. I also got a more layered haircut and that has helped a lot.

Good luck.

I look dreadful with short hair but maybe after loosing a certain amount, and the hair starts falling out, maybe I'll just do a short lil pixie cut and hopefully with the weight loss it will look good. I'm not sleeved yet. Still gotta do the 6 month physician supervised diet but I like to think ahead

... And the thighs... How about squats? I know mine are gonna look funky and I'm hoping squats will do the trick. Hopefully some lotion will help too...Good luck

I would ask your doctor (if you haven't already!) if it's safe for you to be taking prenatal Vitamins. Sometimes the amount of folic acid in a prenatal Vitamin is too high for a non-pregnant person, and can be harmful.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35874922/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/your-breakfast-giving-you-cancer/#.UcTGD7XvtGM

I could knit a sweater with all the hair I have been shedding :)

I plan to cut it short in a couple of weeks.

I am three months out, and I started shedding profusely a few weeks ago. I am thinking about investing in some cute hats. I already have short hair - I am thinking about getting it layered a little. I think the hats may be a good option for me (even though I have never been a hat person) because I am out in the sun a lot at my daughters' swim meets - my scalp often gets burned right at the part, and I am thinking it will be worse with the thinning hair!!

Surgery March 11...and 3 months to the day, my hair started filling my brushes and combs. I wash my hair and it looks like I'm pulling out a mouse out of the strainer/drain. I expected to loose some, but it was a shocker. But, as of today--I don't straighten my hair, avoiding the dryer, and eat even more Protein. And I did get protein and Vitamins in prior this, but I am waiting for the golden time the "fall out" slows down! I know it will....I know it will....I know it will.

I look dreadful with short hair but maybe after loosing a certain amount' date=' and the hair starts falling out, maybe I'll just do a short lil pixie cut and hopefully with the weight loss it will look good. I'm not sleeved yet. Still gotta do the 6 month physician supervised diet but I like to think ahead

... And the thighs... How about squats? I know mine are gonna look funky and I'm hoping squats will do the trick. Hopefully some lotion will help too...Good luck[/quote']

My hair started falling out at 3 months and has slowed at 6 months. My one regret is not starting Biotin sooner.

I also had to do the 6 mo preop. At my pre surgery visit, the nut talked about required and optional supplements. The Biotin was optional so I skipped it. It may not have helped but I will never know since I didn't start until my hair was falling out. My nails are great now too.

If I had it to do over I would take the biotin a month or two before surgery.

My surgery is on Wednesday. I have started using Redken products for thinning hair. Bosley also has a system for thinning hair that can be purchased on Amazon. After surgery, I'm planning on using minoxidil, 5% at night in an effort help curtail the thinning.