Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I am in the process of getting my life insurance in order and all of my paper work and DNR stuff ready. I am not trying to be negative, but I have 5 children and 2 grandchildren to think about. I think it is the organizer in me that wants to cover all the bases and make sure that my family does not have to deal with anything if something does go wrong. Is there any other feeling the same way that I do?

I don't have any kids, but I have been thinking along those lines, just in case. I don't even have a will, and I'm not planning to tell my parents about the surgery (I'm 38). But heavin forbid something happens, I'd hate for them to have to figure it all out.

I don't have kids but I have a lot of assets so I made sure my will was updated before surgery. It's not over reacting or anything it's just being smart and planning.

You never know what could happen and it's better to be safe then sorry. As you said you don't want your family dealing with extra stress if something happens

So I was feeling the same way...I'm 30 years old w/ no kids but I take care of my mom and wanted to make sure she would be financially ok if something happened to me...turns out if I start a life insurance policy now, knowing that i'm having major surgery soon and something happens....life insurance will not pay out. Who knew...

My bank accounts, brokerage accounts, and the assets of my mom's estate are all TOD to my oldest son, with the understanding that he shares it equally with his brother - he'll share because i've threatened to haunt him if he does'nt. But seriously, this is major surgery and unfortunately there is a chance of death, whenever there is anasthesia involved.

I've had my DNR/health care power of attorney for a while, but I double checked to make sure it still says what I want it to say. I've never had a will and probably don't have enough assets to make it truly worthwhile, but I'm going to do a quick one just in case. I've also cornered various family and friends and made them swear they will take in one of my pets (3 cats, 1 dog) in case I die or am permanently incapacitated. I don't have any family in town so I am going to make sure one of my sisters and my parents know how to get in contact with my housekeeper -- she has a key to my house and can take care of anything that needs taking care of at my house.

I'm also doing a financial information list (bank, insurance, and retirement account numbers, passwords, etc.) to my brother in law and parents so that they can deal with stuff in the extremely unlikely event that I die/am permanently incapacitated.

The risk is really small, but I also feel in a superstitious way that I am kind of warding off anything bad actually happening by making all these plans. Kind of like it never rains when you actually bring your umbrella.

The pets are my only true worry (no I don't have children). Anything else is just stuff, and the family who would inherit from me don't actually need my money, but the thought of my pets spending their last days at the county pound and then dying there, or getting adopted by someone who abuses them, anything like that, really does cause me severe anxiety.

I did the same ,I made a folder for my husband so all the papers he would need were in there. :D .. but You will be just fine !!!!!!!!!! Good Luck in your journey

I'm not married and do not have kids, but the day before surgery I showed my mom where all my important documents and insurance info was. Also made her promise that if something happened to me that she would keep and take care of my fur babies herself and not get rid of them.

Funny I should run across this posting because 2 days ago I had my Will, power of attorney and health directive drawn up. I'm single with no kids and I do have a mother that I handle affairs for however she would not know what to do if something happened to me. It's already bad that I'm not going to tell her about my VSG because I don't want to feel guilty or get talked out of it, but sometimes you just gotta prepare incase something happens but I speak good vibes and blessings to all of us on this board who had the surgery or getting it :-)

I've had my DNR/health care power of attorney for a while' date=' but I double checked to make sure it still says what I want it to say. I've never had a will and probably don't have enough assets to make it truly worthwhile, but I'm going to do a quick one just in case. I've also cornered various family and friends and made them swear they will take in one of my pets (3 cats, 1 dog) in case I die or am permanently incapacitated. I don't have any family in town so I am going to make sure one of my sisters and my parents know how to get in contact with my housekeeper -- she has a key to my house and can take care of anything that needs taking care of at my house.

I'm also doing a financial information list (bank, insurance, and retirement account numbers, passwords, etc.) to my brother in law and parents so that they can deal with stuff in the extremely unlikely event that I die/am permanently incapacitated.

The risk is really small, but I also feel in a superstitious way that I am kind of warding off anything bad actually happening by making all these plans. Kind of like it never rains when you actually bring your umbrella.

The pets are my only true worry (no I don't have children). Anything else is just stuff, and the family who would inherit from me don't actually need my money, but the thought of my pets spending their last days at the county pound and then dying there, or getting adopted by someone who abuses them, anything like that, really does cause me severe anxiety.[/quote']

Yes I have 2 pets too and they are my babies, I have no kids and I love them as if they were my kids :-) lord forbid anything happens I just wanna make sure they are taken care of :-)

I just wanted to add: my father passed away two days ago, and it is the worst thing in the world for mourning family members to feel "out of the loop". Everyone who's taking steps to eliminate drama or bickering, or even to just make sure paperwork is easy to locate, is definitely doing the right thing, IMO.

No kids here either.....but will sure my will is up to date, DNR, and medical POA are in place...I have siblings, so anything I have from my grandparents will go to them, otherwise everything stays with hubby)

(Vixynne....sorry to hear of your loss)

I have a 4 yr old daughter, God forbid anything happens but if something does I wouldn't want her dad to have full custody of her since he lives out of state due to being in the military. I want my mother to have joint custody. He says he wouldn't keep my family from seeing her but I know how he is and he wouldn't go out of his way to make sure they're in her life. :(

I just wanted to add: my father passed away two days ago, and it is the worst thing in the world for mourning family members to feel "out of the loop". Everyone who's taking steps to eliminate drama or bickering, or even to just make sure paperwork is easy to locate, is definitely doing the right thing, IMO.

I'm so sorry for your loss...I can't imagine the stress and sorrow you are dealing with right now.

(Vixynne....sorry to hear of your loss)

I'm so sorry for your loss...I can't imagine the stress and sorrow you are dealing with right now.

Thank you both. It's definitely a whirlwind of emotions. We had a rocky relationship at times, but he was still my dad. Right now I'm trying to reconcile myself to the idea that he's gone, in addition to understanding that what he wanted (no funeral, simple cremation, ashes to go to relatives out of state) trumps whatever idea I had about what his end of life arrangement should be. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it. One way I'm doing that is by putting a lot of thought into what it is I would want to happen after my death--which are really the only arrangements I have control over anyway. ;)