Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well my surgeon said he wouldn't consider surgery until my BMI was down :( ... I was @ his office @ my highest weight 296 BMI 57 I'm 40yrs old and 5" !!! Well can I just say I left there and cried ... & then went to an all u can eat buffet and stuffed my sorrows !!! Then I went to see my NUT and she made me feel better she gave me this list !!! She said pick 1 every week till I get them all !! Then she gave me the amount of calories she wants to at !!! It's changed as I've started to loose weight now I'm @ 1200 calories a dAy !! In the beginning it was 1800 ;)

Weight loss tips

1) weigh yourself once @ day

2) limit TV 2hours a day

3) call a friend 3 times a week

Or nutritionist

4) more Fiber in your diet

5) 10' date='000 steps a day

6) track food and diary

7) sleep 7 hours a night

8) drinks 8 glasses of Water a day

9) stick to a 8hr work week

10) cut sugar read labels

Well as of this morning I was 258 lbs I have an appt with the surgeon next week to set up my surgery date :) ... Baby steps you gave up soda that's awesome !!! If I can do this Lord there's Hope !!! I wish you luck :) ... We are here to help each other

Kat[/quote']

Wow 57 wonder what chart he used or you really short? I started at 293 and my bmi is 54 5'2"...do you have health issues also for him not to even consider it? Losing weight is a condition of my program not because of my weight...either way your doing great! Best of luck :)

O love the tips lol its not good to weigh yourself every day imo and would love to only work 8 hours a day oh and sleep 7 hours ya ok but everything else I have been doing for years: )

O love the tips lol its not good to weigh yourself every day imo and would love to only work 8 hours a day oh and sleep 7 hours ya ok but everything else I have been doing for years: )

LOL .. I've actually finally getting @ least 7hrs of sleep ... But yes I'm really short I'm only 5 feet so my BMI was exactly 57.7 a heart attack waiting to happen as the surgeon put it !!! My BP is high and Asthma ...

Oh yeah I second the fibre Kat. Long ago my 1st pregnancy nutritionist gave me analogy that was really helpful. The chain links on a bike chain are sugars that your body is processing now. The plastic sheath represents the fibre. So any extra sugar has to breakthrough the fibre in order to deposit themselves. By the time they work through the fibre, your body is now ready to process rather than store them.

LOL .. I've actually finally getting @ least 7hrs of sleep ... But yes I'm really short I'm only 5 feet so my BMI was exactly 57.7 a heart attack waiting to happen as the surgeon put it !!! My BP is high and Asthma ...

Amazing how an inch or two changes things lol I sleep in a moving truck so its not very restful but nights im home I do get between 6 or 7

Im sure the weight you have dropped has helped

Ditch soft drinks, chips and bread. Cut out ALL Snacks, that was hard for me, but I did it and lost 23 lbs prior to surgery. I only had to lose 15 lbs. LoL

Ok soda chips gone. I'm trying to get myself mentally prepared for my food funeral! In my famy food equals love and I love to cook home style meals. But I know this is the right choice! I'm 5'4" 236

I've lost 10lbs. in about a month by just giving up my waaaaay too calorie-heavy coffee (20 oz. cup each morning with cream and flavor Syrup, total of 350 calories), and having a Protein Shake for Breakfast instead of a fast food egg/sausage/cheese sammich on a bagel (which had to have topped 500-600 calories). lunch is Greek yogurt with a side of cut melon chunks or a dozen almonds to crunch on. dinner is a light meal and I use Protein Shakes to fill in as a snack in the afternoon if I need it.

I didn't increase exercise or do anything else, and I lost more than 2lbs. per week.

I just KNOW you can find a few small changes, like I did, that will add up to the magic 10%--you can do it!

Giving up chips and soft drinks are a good thing, surgery or not!!! :) You will have to make very wise choices during the honeymoon period, to make the most of that time. After you reach goal, you can eat what you enjoy cooking. You may change the way you prepare food though. If you are use to frying food, high calorie gravy a lot of bread, those are probably things you'll want to do much less....healthier for everybody. I cook and eat like I did before, nothing is off limits other than cokes, but there ARE things I CHOOSE not to eat. I seldom eat chips, I do not keep them in the house. We were at a church bar-b-q two months ago and along with my hamburger patty, I had six or seven Fritos. I have been maintaining for 2.5 years now, you'll get use to your new life and you will be in control, food will not be!!!!

My advice would be to do Medifast--I was very successful losing weight that way, and it comes off pretty quickly. Worked really well for me since I wasn't capable of making good choices with "regular food". You just eat 5 of their meals (shakes, bars, Soups, oatmeal, etc.) and 1 "regular" lo-carb meal per day. I lost about 2-3 pounds per week.

I tried that through kaiser and I was not successful I was soooo hungry and cranky

But if I've never been successful at loosing weight how am I supposed to loose 10%??? I've never been able to loose that much :(

Grrrl...I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I took so long to start losing weight that I had to start Kaiser's Options program AGAIN (boo). Kaiser NorCal has a lot of requirements, including the 10% TBW loss to start...but if you need the surgery to lose weight, but have to lose weight to get the surgery, it becomes kind of like the chicken or the egg, LOL. The most frustrating part about it for me is that Dr. Baggs (bariatric surgeon at KP Richmond) specifically states & is adamant about his patients NOT using Protein hakes or supplements. He says that they are a crutch and don't prove that you have made lasting changes to your eating habits. I SAY TO THAT: Crutches are fine! They help you STAND fortheloveofGod!! And I also say: HOW ON EARTH are we supposed to get in 70 grams of Protein post-op with our tiny lil stomachs if we don't use shakes or powders?So, I

I'm really struggling with that requirement. Did KP give you any req like that? Please share!

hahahaha exactly!!! Well I have had a fairly smooth ride so far. Luckily the weight has been coming off and I do use shakes often but also real food. y surgeon did require weight loss of 20 lbs. Im 5 lbs away. No options plan here. For me what I have found is the meals are the most important. For Breakfast I do one egg and one egg white scrambled with half a cup of cottage cheese. Its pretty good! If I don't feel like cooking I have one shake and one string cheese. Maybe a fruit. lunch is a spinach tortilla wrap..spread on light cream cheese layer turkey meat, spinach, olives, pickles, and onion...its sooooo good. I try to make lunch my heaviest meal. dinner I have really been enjoying pitas. Take chicken and pound it flat. Marinade in homemade italian for like 15 min then add a little all purpose greek seasoning. Grill and then fill pita with that some tzaziki and feta or just chicken lettuce a little cheese etc