Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal Weight

How did you decide what your goal weight would be? Was it is your doctor's suggestion? The BMI, height, age, weight calcualtor? Were you happy at one time when you were at that "magic number"? Or a combination of all those and other things? :girl_hug: I want to know the story. Share if you would, please.

For me, I have no "goal weight." I had a goal, indeed, but it didn't and doesn't involve any particular number on the scale.< /p>

I wanted to he HEALTHIER and have the means to stay that way. My doctors didn't suggest any numbers or measurements to me, because I've been over 200 lbs since reaching my adult height at age 13 so the 154-170 the charts say I "should" weigh is absolutely meaningless.

Hence, my "goal" weight in my signature. I'm ever-evolving and where it takes me, it takes me.

I have decided that I want to weigh 200 lbs. That is probably 25 lbs more than they would tell me but I know my body. I really struggle at 175 to keep the weight off. I have no idea what size I'll be at 200 but I'm thinking I may be as low as a 16. That is good on a 5'9" frame. Good luck.

One time when I was about 20 I went on a long "Eurail Pass" tour of Europe and then down to N. Africa. Toward the end of that trip I contracted something truly dreadful. I'll spare you the detaisl. But by the end of it I weighed about 170. After I recovered from the illness I maintained that weight for about half a year and I was perfectly healthy. It's hard to believe that I could be healthy at that weight, since I'm about twice that now. So, I'm really not sure what my "goal" should be. I'm thinking 199, but that may be too ambitious. Anyway, as Alexandra said, it's the health that matters. I think once I lose 100 plus pounds I will feel so much better I won't care much anymore about the scale. We'll see.

My goal weight for the last several years has been 160 (hence the name), which is right around where I was graduating high school a million years ago, but to be honest, I'd just about kill to know what 145 looks and feels like. :girl_hug:

My goal weight keeps changing as soon as I hit the goals and I see that I actually want to lose more. Right now the goal is 160, but it may get lower once I reach that. My first goal was 206 (100 pounds less than my starting); once I reached that I moved it to 185; once I reached that I moved it to 160. I honestly think I won't be satisfied until I'm at like 145. I know that's fairly low for my height, but I have a bit of an obsession. I'm having a Tummy Tuck and a bunch of Lipo in Feb. I think that should take me down pretty quick.

I was shooting for a weight that I know is reasonable, not extremely thin on me - 75kg (154lb) at 5ft 10. Its in the healthy range and I have maintained that sort of weight for very long periods of time, without extreme behaviours. Its pretty much what I weighed for my entire 20's until I started having babies.

However, I've now gotten to 82-83kg and I dont have the same body that I did 20 years ago. I've had 3 babies, but I've also exercised like a fiend for this past 12 months and I am WAY thinner and firmer at 83kg now than I was when I shot up to that weight once or twice and had to go on a panic diet earlier in my life. I have 25% body fat or so. I'm also not losing weight at all at the moment despite a really heavy exercise schedule.

So..... this may be where I stay. I'm not overly fussed. I'd look absolutely GREAT at 75kg and I want to get there, but I"m not going to get stupid over it. I suspect I'll just mosy on down to that sort of weight over the next year, I really think my days of 1lb per week are firmly behind me. I"m really really happy with what I've achieved and if I never lose any more then so be it.

My original goal was set by my doctor based on average weight loss with the band. he set it at 226. I then set my personal goal at 190 because I wanted to see the scales read under 200 for once in my life :girl_hug:. I have since chaged it. I have lost so well and quickly that I think I can acheive 170. THis would be very close to my ideal weight on the Medical charts.

I think it's all about setting a series of goals. But I'll tell you how I set my pre-surgery goal. I read that a ballpark expectation of lap band is to lose half your excess weight. I had almost reached when I did Atkins (I still believe in that diet, thou I'm doing South Beach right now for a change). I remembered what that weight looked and felt like and then being morbidly obese, it seemed great. So I took 50% of my excess weight and rounded down to an even ten number. I have hit that (for one day...lol). then gained a couple back. I was really happy when I just lost that weight and thought i looked good enough, but now that I have plateaued for a time, I'm starting to look in the mirror and feel fat again. Its only been 3.5 months, and only a month of real restriction, so I'm still hopeful.

You know, that is a tough question. But, I have thought about it and I think I will be happy at about 145. But my main goal is to look good in a bathing suit. No cottage cheese!

Man, I have a long way to go! But I've already lost 20 lbs, WITHOUT the band, and I haven't even started the liquid stage yet. So, hopefully once the band is in place, I will be on my way to onerland.

My doctor set my goal weight at 135, which is about right....even though I weighed less than that in my teens and early twenties. I personally set it at 145 because that is the heaviest weight I will accept, and it puts me within a normal BMI. I dont remember looking or feeling "fat" until I got above 150, so I take that into account also. I guess my goal is a combination of doctor recommendation, BMI, and knowing where I will look and feel good!

My goal has changed so many times I don't know if I can remember them all. I was told at 205 lbs that I looked great and didn't need to lose anymore by my Dr. and by a friend. So, I quit trying to lose weight and quit worrying about it, even thought I wanted to be under 200. Here I am at 186 lbs and I don't feel lost or worried that I may never lose another pound. 186 is not a lot at all in my book. I don't EVER remember weighing less than 250 except when I was in grade school. So, I would like for the charts to say I am a normal weight, but then I would have to weigh 174 and I don't know if that is too little for my frame. I am a large framed girl. There is nothing petite about me.

I am actually considering getting a slight unfill after the first of the year so I won't lose more and I can maintain my current weight.

I set my goal weight by reflecting back to the weight I felt most comfortable and healthy at....125. However, I have now reached 140 and I'm worried that if I push it to 125 my face, shoulders, back and chest will be too boney. My apron has gotten increasingly worse over the years and I doubt that losing 15 more pounds will make that much of a difference in that area...if I lose more I'm afraid that it will come from the body areas already mentioned and it just wouldn't look flatering. So, I'm now just doing 5 lbs at a time and I will stop when I'm satisfied....I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to have the apron surgically removed.

Carol