Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failing Before I'v Even Started

WeeWers here.

Please forgive me for posting in the post-ops when I haven't had my surgery, but I did not think pre-oppers would know about this as well as you guys. Thank you.

My surgeon told me I had to lose 19 pounds before my surg. Well, I haven't been doing this well at all !! I'm thinking this is for-shadow of how I'll do sticking to the sleeve diet. I'm scared to death and feel like *such* a failure !! I'm such a wealing when it comes to being able to diet. I know they weigh you the morning of the surg -- and so my surgeon will see that I didn't comply. He could call the whole thing right then and there!

Did any of you have to lose weight before your surg -- and you did lousy? Did your failure continue after surg?

I'm thinking of canceling the surg because I don't think I can stick to anything!

btw, I'm 5-6 and weigh 305 pounds. Hows that for a life.

Thanks for listening,

WeeWers

How much longer do you have before surgery? The diet cycle is what helped put many of us here in the first place.

The first thing, about failing before you've started... Post op the self sabotage will be incredibly hard because your new tummy will be unable to tolerate most anything. You'll be risking your life to fall off the wagon then, that is a huge incentive to stick with guidelines. You won't fail I bet and as you feel better your motivation will increase too guess!

Now, pre op... Get back on that wagon! Your doc wants you to loose weight for a variety of reasons, the greatest of that being safety during surgery. The preop diet helps reduce your liver size making surgery faster and safer... Also, it starts to prepare you mentally for the dramatic reduction in intake you're about to experience.

You got this lady. Your signature says you have faith on your side, lean on it and let today be a new day.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. There will be plenty of folks who will tell you that they were paragons of virtue pre-op. I am not one of those people. I was supposed to lose 12 pounds in the six months prior. I lost 4. I did not diet until the last two weeks before. I did lose some before I started seeing the surgeon. Here are my stats: high weight 257, surgery weight 241, current weight 204. I was sleeved Feb 4, 2013. What I felt before surgery, hunger-wise, and what I feel after is totally different. I am not hungry anymore. Things don't taste the same. I cannot eat bread, rice or Pasta. I cannot give up on this diet because it is physically impossible. I suppose I could eat nothing but potato chips all day, but even then, I don't think at this point I could eat enough to sabotage my weight loss. I could sabotage my health, but making good choices now is much easier. I don't deprive myself of a bite of something non-protein if I want it. But I don't want more than a bite. I am losing an average of 2.5 pounds a week. I hope you will not let your belief that things will not change keep you from moving forward. Good luck.

Now I haven't had surgery yet Im in July 2013 :)

And yes My surgeon hasn't even give me a date yet until I go in to see him on June 5th because he wanted me to lose 30 pounds :( when he said to me he's not gonna even consider surgery for me until I get my BMI down I was mortified he said I was SUPER MORBID OBESE and I'm a heart attack waiting to happen !!! So much for his bed side manner but it's true I'm 40yrs old 5" and my BMI was 57 @ my highest weight of 296 ... So after I went home and cried and went to all you can eat buffet to stuff my sorrows away !!! I prayed on it .. & said I can do this .. I took it one day at a time and I really used my Nutrionist as of today I'm down 37 lbs :) 260lbs and my BMI is 50 ... I can't wait to see the surgeon ... Its not easy but it has been getting me ready for what's to come ... I talk to my Nutrionist alot and I'm seeing a therapist on my emotional eating stuff ... One day at a time ... I will have you in my prayers because LORD knows I understand how hard it is to diet ... Get back on the wagon and think about why this is so important to you :). You got this

Good luck :)

Kat

When is your surgery? I had food funeral after food funeral before the pre op diet. I ate everything I wanted and everywhere I wanted. Was like a food junkie. But when I started the pre op liquid diet I did not cheat one time and lost 15 lbs. you can do this. Just think of how good it will be when you can get around without a walker. Keep this in mind. We eat to LIVE not live to EAT.

I started my 6 month pre op program in January, june 10 will be my final visit I was required to lose 10% which was 30lbs, I have lost 25 so far. There are a few reasons to do this and its not to torture you either lol it helps prepare you for the change in lifestyle and to make better choices, to be aware of bad eating habits but most important to reach your goals....the sleeve is just a tool and if you cant make changes before the sleeve you may have a hard time in long term...So you can either figure out the hoops you have to jump thru for insurance or be self pay and check out mexico.

WeeWers, please don't give up before you've really started. Treat today like a clean slate and a fresh chance to stick to what your doctor is asking. If you stumble a bit, then take it an hour at a time. If that's too much, take it FIVE MINUTES at a time, and try not to listen to the negative voices in your head that tell you that you aren't strong enough or that you're doomed to fail. YOU ARE WORTH THE STRUGGLE, and you deserve the new life that this surgery can bring you. It's not easy, and nobody's perfect, but you have what you need to do this--a desire to be happier and healthier and to live life instead of watching it pass you by, a desire to shed pain and gain confidence instead of gaining pounds.

You can do this. You're not alone. Dust yourself off, lift your chin--be stubborn about succeeding instead of being sad about any mistakes you may make. Pick yourself up and try again; we're all in your corner!

This may not work for everyone pre-op, but personally I find chewing gum is really helpful when I feel like snacking. Stride lasts a long time and juicy fruit has some decent dessert flavours for the sweet tooth. I never thought it would be an effective option but I have been proven wrong as it really does help. I know post-op you shouldn't but by then you won't need to... Good luck and just remember living a better life is much more filling than anything you could put in your mouth. :-)

*Hugs*

Preop diet was very hard on me and I doubted myself the whole time (not the same as the weight loss prior but it's a diet change none-the-less). But, to answer your question, no I'm not failing after surgery. It's so much easier than I ever thought it would be. Yes, the liquid phase has it's moments but now when I eat and I actually feel full .. to get those compliments that you are doing a great job... it's a great feeling!

I can only really suggest a support group and a strong support system. Does your city offer any for WLS? Did they give you advice on how to lose the 19 pounds? I was given a strict diet regimen to follow.

Best of luck! These days will come and go and it's ok to question things.

**the weight loss prior to surgery is more about shrinking the liver. The weightloss to lower the BMI is because they surgery could have risks and they want the best possible outcome.

Wow, you have gotten so much good advice that's there's not really much I can say. Just wanted to let you know I support you. Yes, it's hard, but remember if it was that easy to lose 19 pounds, none of us would be sleevers! I am almost 2 months post op (sleeved March 27) and it is really easy not to cheat. If I eat too much at a meal, I get really miserable feeling and sometimes I will throw up, so I know to stop eating when that first full feeling hits, even if its after 2 bites. I do eat something I shouldn't, like one cookie, but that's better than 1/2 a bag like before. I am still losing weight, getting into clothes I haven't worn in a while and getting compliments all the time. Trust me, IT'S WORTH THE STRUGGLE AND YOU CAN DO IT! Good luck. God Bless!