Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on VST. I have my VSG surgery on June 3rd and I'm two days into my low carb pre op diet (30-40 carbs a day). I have been getting really bad head aches. No Migraines, just head aches. Is it because of the diet? I drink a lot of Water (72 oz/day) so is there something else I can do? Does it go away? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Steph

I am sleever the next day. I am in the Optifast now, and feel OK, at least no headaches (hurrah). Might be something else???

Headaches are probably a sign of carb purging. It will probably improve quite a bit after the 3rd day. Hang in there!

You can do this......

I posted this a little while ago:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/78443-the-pre-op-diet-is-not-a-punishment-its-an-opportunity/

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on VST. I have my VSG surgery on June 3rd and I'm two days into my low carb pre op diet (30-40 carbs a day). I have been getting really bad head aches. No Migraines, just head aches. Is it because of the diet? I drink a lot of Water (72 oz/day) so is there something else I can do? Does it go away? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Steph

I'm on day 8 of my 2 week liquid diet - it's gonna suck for the first 3-4 days then you're gonna be amazed at how good you feel fueling yourself on less than you're used to. liquid Tylenol helps with the headaches and body aches (don't go nuts with it) and if you feel like you can't hold out any longer get yourself a cup of low-sodium chicken broth and cut it with a half cup of Water. It's amazing how something this simple will help!

Keep something in mind - you going through this misery now lessens you having to go through it the first few days you're recovering after surgery. Imagine the people who ate what they wanted until the last minute and then had surgery. On top of dealing with the soreness and all that goes with recovery they have to deal with the headaches and misery from being hungry as well? No thanks!

It gets better - hang in there!

My surgery is June 6th. So today was day 3 of the low carb diet. It is hard. I have always counted calories and now carbs are totally different. I was hungry and headachy today. So I am hoping this is the purge and tomorrow will be much better. Getting excited now. Hang in there. We can do this.

Probably due to diet. Also, were you a caffeine drinker and stopped? The headaches should subside in a few days. Good luck!

I took acetaminophen for the the first 3-4 days. No NSAIDS cuz they are hard on your stomach. By day 7 I had lost 10 pounds - less abdominal fat and a lighter liver to make the surgery go smoother. So keep it up its worth it.

I have suffered from headaches for the first week every single time I started cutting sugar from my diet. It also happened when I did my pre-op diet. I would say they are "normal" for me at least. I agree with the tylenol suggestion. It helped me some, but I just had to suffer through it until my body adjusted. Good Luck!

I think it happens to a lot of us.

Thanks for all of the replies.The headaches stopped after two days and I have much more energy. I've also dropped about 7 lbs! Just had to get over the initial withdrawals from caffeine and carbs. My surgery is in 8 days and I cannot wait!