Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon is TOO SOON for a little alcohol?

I'm not a big drinker, but when I go out with friends, I do like to enjoy a drink or two. I am three weeks post surgery. I am going to a concert soon (I will be almost six weeks post surgery by then). I would just like to have a margarita or two with my friends. Do you think I'm pushing it? Has anyone else had a drink that soon after surgery that could give me some advice?

It's really a personal decision that you can only make after discussing it with your surgeon..

When you ask people here they usually end up fighting because some where told by their doctors NEVER to drink again and don't.

Some people were told to wait 6 months.

And some don't care what they were told and just drink when they want after several weeks out..

In addition to Laura-Ven's great advice, I strongly recommend trying out anything new at home first. You never know how new things may affect you and a little trial run at home can save you from a lot of discomfort and embarrassment in public.

For me personally, I didn't drink for 6 months, and I started with wine because I couldn't take the acid in a margarita that early out. But everyone is different.

Lynda

This was a post I made in December last year (2012) just before we went to an all-inclusive resort for a holiday:

I am approx. 7 months post-op and we will be going on vacation to an all-inclusive resort in mid-January for 2 weeks. There is a good chance I will have a couple of drinks while there, but probably only part of a drink at a time and not every day.

I wasn't really a drinker before surgery (social drinking, maybe 1 time per month for 1-2 drinks). So not having alcohol since surgery hasn't been any sort of an issue for me. I have had 1 glass of champagne (last week) and part of a cooler a couple of months ago. That's it. I did find the effects to be much faster and more potent than before surgery. I didn't really like the feeling that much, which probably contributed to my not really trying it very often.

I would not have had anything if I was not at least 5 months post-op. My surgeon did not advise when we could or could not start drinking again if we wanted to (ie. no 1 year rule), but there were alot of questions about alcohol consumption in my pre-op medical assessment papers. I think they find it a concern (and switching addictions from food to alcohol is a VERY real problem and must be closely monitored and avoided at all costs!).

It's not a problem for me and I can do 1 drink socially if I choose and stop.

My advice is to carefully assess your tolerance and pre-op drinking habits, take all of your physician's guidelines into account and then make a decision for your own circumstances. And be prepared to adjust your choice if the outcome is less than desireable!

Now, with greater experience, and most than 1 year post-op, I feel I can elaborate a bit more.

I would STRONGLY advise against drinking ANY alcohol so early after surgery!!!!!

Alcohol dehydrates your body. At the moment, your everyday battle is staying hydrated and allowing your surgical site to heal. The lime in the margarita will likely irritate your stomach lining, causing great discomfort. The alcohol will get you drunk VERY fast in VERY small quantities, and you will not be in good control of your decision making regarding other foods, which could lead you to make dangerous decisions around what is safe to eat so early on.

Feel free to go out with your friends, but take on the role of designated driver (if you don't want them to know WHY you're not drinking), or just tell them you are staying away from alcohol for a while because it conflicts with some meds or supplements you're taking.

Of course that all assumes they don't know about your surgery. If they know, tell them the truth! Your surgeon and nutritionist have strongly advised....NO DRINKING for min. 6 months post-op.

You surgeon may not have spelled that out to you (though hopefully it was discussed). The physical effects of alcohol are bad, but the psychological possibilities of developing a new dependency or addiction (alcohol vs food) are very real and serious and worse than the hangover and illness the booze might temporarily cause you.

Even if the addiction part is not "in play" here, the possibility of your having less control of your decision regarding food at the concert is still very real if you've been drinking. You really can't afford to slip up and eat the wrong thing this early post-op. It could have serious repercussions and land you in the hospital with a leak or complication you could have easily avoided.

You made a smart choice with this surgery. Keep up the good choices and stay away from alcohol until you're better healed and in a more normal eating/drinking routine.

You will get very different opinions. I was given the all clear by my surgeon and NUT for a glass of wine at 6 weeks out. However, like with coffee, alcohol can be dehydrating. I was advised if I have issues getting in my liquids, then it's not ok.

Like posters said above, try it at home first You don't know how your body will react to it. Also, to add to what was said, the sugar in the margarita could send you to pottyville PDQ. There is a lot of sugar in them. A

small, frozen margarita has approx 500 calories.

I have been enjoying a glass of wine since about 6 weeks. My husband and I enjoy opening a nice bottle of wine on the weekends and trying different ones. He always asks first though, how am I on my liquids? He knows full well that I am like a well. My typical day sees at least 80 oz of Water go into it so hydration is never an issue. If it was I would not be having it. I wouldn't do anything to screw up this opportunity!

Everyone is different and seems like everyone gets different advice fro their Dr.'s. Do you have a NUT that you see? You can ask them if you do.

Now, if you really want a free for all fight, ask about carbonation or not telling the world about your surgery! :P:D;)

Like someone said early talk to your doc I was 2half maybe three months out w my first drink and I drink wine and oh boi do I get buzzed fast try it at home I can only drink about less them half maybe 1/3 of a glass sometimes I take about 7 sips and that is it

Thanks gals - this helps a lot. My surgeon said at least a year or never again...but that isn't going to cut it. I have told all of my friends about my surgery and they are very supportive, so they will understand if I don't drink, and I don't enjoy it enough to get addicted, just hate to miss out on the social aspect, I suppose.

Funnily enough, I'm not even missing my sodas, which I thought I was addicted to, so carbonation isn't a problem for me! I may try a few sips of wine in a few more weeks and see how that goes, but I will definitely try it at home first. Thank you all so much!

I have am three months out and have only taken a sip of something my wife had. Will most likely have a glass of wine during my anniversary dinner next month.

Sent from my iPad using VST

My surgeon's rules were NO DRINKING FOR ONE YEAR FOLLOWING SURGERY.

But he also admitted it was the rule most commonly broken.

However, I did it. I went 1 year and 1 week without ANY alcohol. Yep there were social events where normally I would have had a drink or two, but during that first year post-op I did NOT have any.

I'm not saying you should follow in my footsteps, just telling you my experience. When I did have a drink (glass of wine) at 1 year 1 week post-op it hit pretty hard and pretty quick.

So if you plan to drink early out be ready for it to affect you differently than it did pre-op.

In addition to Laura-Ven's great advice' date=' I strongly recommend trying out anything new at home first. You never know how new things may affect you and a little trial run at home can save you from a lot of discomfort and embarrassment in public.

For me personally, I didn't drink for 6 months, and I started with wine because I couldn't take the acid in a margarita that early out. But everyone is different.

Lynda[/quote']

This is great advice!! I experimented at home and was thankful that I did so. I waited six months. As for margaritas- that's a lot of liquid. I couldn't handle that much that early. Plus I like to eat while I drink alcohol. This is tricky with being sleeved. I made myself sick twice.

Good luck!

My doctor said 4 weeks out, its best to check with yours.

I had a drink at 4 weeks out and I was fine, I get drunk a lot quicker though so be careful!!

I had a drink at 5 weeks out. I had some kind of vodka martini and I was hammered after about half of it. My husband ended up finishing it. I have found that I don't have a "threshold" of a buzz anymore I'm either drunk or I'm not. I get drunk quick and it wears off quick.

I tried it at home first also just because I think it is a good idea to try everything at home first if you can just because you dont know how you body is going to react.

My surgeon didn't tell me how long to wait before drinking alcohol. He did tell me to say goodbye to Margaritas! :-( He said they have way too much sugar. I think the trade off is fair. I can say goodbye to beer & Margaritas in exchange for a better body & better health. Maybe you could start off trying some wine...

I waited 6-7 weeks. Had 2 glasses of wine over 8 hours. No difference to pre-op apart from I just sipped. Now 7 months out I can drink like before, except I do very rarely due to the fact I need to drink A LOT to feel anything, not worth the cals!

I had wine 3-1/2 weeks out. Could only drink 1/3 of the glass and now can only tolerate white not red. I'm in Las Vegas with my husband and had 2 glasses of white last night. I drank them over about 4 hours. They made me feel full so I drank slow but enjoyed them very much! I'm 6 weeks out.