Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon is TOO SOON for a little alcohol?

I'm not a big drinker, but when I go out with friends, I do like to enjoy a drink or two. I am three weeks post surgery. I am going to a concert soon (I will be almost six weeks post surgery by then). I would just like to have a margarita or two with my friends. Do you think I'm pushing it? Has anyone else had a drink that soon after surgery that could give me some advice?

Don't sabotage yourself. In the long run, you'll be glad you gave up and resisted. I reached my doctor's goal in five months and my personal goal, five pounds less, a month later. I did not have one sip of alcohol until a year out, probably more like fourteen months. This first year is your honeymoon period, get the most bang for your buck.

My surgeon didn't tell me how long to wait before drinking alcohol. He did tell me to say goodbye to Margaritas! :-( He said they have way too much sugar. I think the trade off is fair. I can say goodbye to beer & Margaritas in exchange for a better body & better health. Maybe you could start off trying some wine...

better body, better health and cute, cute clothes!!!!

Sometimes you have to try and learn the hard way like I did. I had 3 1/2 glasses of wine last night and I'm only 6 weeks out. I have the worst hangover because I couldn't slam Water before bed or take ibuprofen. Today I feel totally ashamed. The wine added about 350 calories to my day. On one hand I want to have fun and live my life but on the other, I have to learn new behavior and that is a very challenging but completely possible part of life after surgery.

Sometimes you have to try and learn the hard way like I did. I had 3 1/2 glasses of wine last night and I'm only 6 weeks out. I have the worst hangover because I couldn't slam Water before bed or take ibuprofen. Today I feel totally ashamed. The wine added about 350 calories to my day. On one hand I want to have fun and live my life but on the other' date=' I have to learn new behavior and that is a very challenging but completely possible part of life after surgery.[/quote']

3 and 1/2 glasses of wine at 6 weeks out???

Girl when you go, you go big don't you!

:P

I tried a shot at 4 weeks, burned and I could only drink half. At 6 weeks, I got wasted at a company party and had 5 drinks. It varies person by person. Just be careful not to drink too fast, I get drunk so fast now!

I tried a shot at 4 weeks' date=' burned and I could only drink half. At 6 weeks, I got wasted at a company party and had 5 drinks. It varies person by person. Just be careful not to drink too fast, I get drunk so fast now![/quote']

Girl I know your experiences!

You know the funny thing is when I have a drink.

I get buzzed really fast. But then after a little while poof. It's gone and I feel completely normal even if I drink a bit more.

It has been great reading your thoughts and experiences on alcohol! Thank you for sharing on this touchy topic and staying civil. My surgeon's practice puts alcohol in the "never or very limited" category. Pre-op I might have a glass or two of red wine per month or I might go months without any. Red wine has many benefits to our health and I am not at risk for addiction or overuse. I am four and a half weeks out and I had a glass of red wine last night at a benefit. (I was happily hydrated prior to and drank Water along with it.) It took me 2.5 hours to drink it but I was grateful to enjoy it. At that rate, I felt no effects of the alcohol. My philosophy is that I am gladly giving up many, many things in pursuit of better health. An occasional glass of red wine is beneficial to my heart and my sanity. I am not trying to push my philosophy on anyone else. We all know what is best for ourselves and, beginning with this surgery, we are on each our way to improved lifestyles. I wish every one of you the best and am beyond grateful for this community!

Why not have a "virgin" drink? Then, you're still being sociable with your friends, no one will question that you're not drinking because you have a drink in front of you. Unless, of course, the purpose of the drink is to get buzzed or drunk, but then, you're not really drinking for the social aspect but to get drunk.

So my advice...really THINK about why you're wanting to drink. It's empty calories, it can be hazardous to your healthy, etc. If it really is to be sociable, you can do that without the alcohol.

If you want my opinion over your doctors, which I do not recommend, I would say wait 6 weeks if you absolutely must have a very small amount. Otherwise, wait 6 months until you have a reasonable amount like 1/2 a glass or more. Alcohol may slow down your weight loss so it is best to not start drinking until after you have lost a lot of weight. And even then, it is still good to drink in light moderation because you will get tipsy much faster and the calories are not helping you. At least make sure you are drinking something you really enjoy or is high quality to offset any negative effects from the extra calories. I started at 6 months and finished weight loss at 7 months. I have 1-2 drinks a month and am 11 months post op.

I guess that's the hard part on these alcohol threads we are all at different stages! When I speak I speak as someone 6+ months out!

I should always include that when I'm talking about having a drink...

I went out ordered a small cocktail and requested the alcohol in a separate glass. This way I controlled what I drank. Almost no tolerance. Didnt finish the drink.

I was cleared for alcohol after 6 weeks. I regularly drink now with no issues.

Well, I ignored all of your great advice and had two margaritas. I drank them slooooowly. I felt a tiny little buzz for a few minutes at one point, but it wore off quickly. I didn't react to the sugar, or really even to the alcohol. I still lost a pound a day the whole week. I definitely won't be drinking a lot, but I won't be freaking out about it anymore either. And FYI - my doctor told me that it is ok to take ibuprofen or aspirin SHORT TERM when necessary - it doesn't have to be completely cut out forever. (I asked for that time-of-the-month) and he said not to suffer, but to try and not take a lot. Thanks everybody!

I'm 3 months out and had a strawberry daiquiri last weekend. Drank it at home, just incase it didn't sit well. I will tell you that it was the tastiest adult beverage that I have had in a VERY long time! Ha! Went down smooth... Took my sips and glass lasted me for about an hour. I definitely got a good "buzz" from it. However.. The next morning I woke up feeling SUPER dehydrated! Not a good feeling. I will not consider drinking often... Maybe once in a blue moon...