Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's this "soda" y'all are talking about? Doncha know its called "pop".

A midwesterner if ever there was one! I bet you sit on the davenport too!

Takes one to know one! :)

You must be very young. Being pregnant with. Just being sleeved and now you want to fill your stomach with pop. Think of that precious gift God has given you and eat and drink for that baby.

A midwesterner if ever there was one! I bet you sit on the davenport too!

Takes one to know one! :)

Pacific Northwest too.. From southern Oregon over to you guys it's "pop"

I'm waiting for the foreigners to chime in with "fizzies" .. I think that's what they call it lol

I think an occasional soda is fine, just like an Occasional drink is fine. You aren't gonna die if you have a diet coke! I used to be really bad with them though, and now four months out I can tolerate maybe a half of a diet coke , but the carbonation does fill you up quickly. I've learned to obey the signals when my stomach is full - when I first feel full, I better stop. When I get the hiccups I really really should stop, and then anything beyond that, I'm in danger of puking....but I'm sure it's different for everyone...

In the south we said Cold Drink and everyone knew you weren't talking about lemonade

One of the few things I have missed is good beer. So after many months I decided to try it. I hadn't had anything carbonated in 8 months. (Not just the calories in beer or the chemicals in diet soda, but for reasons of insulin resistance.)

I had several beers during two different weekends. What happened? The carbonation felt trapped in my body. It made me feel bloated and uncomfortable. It felt like it made a huge air bubble in my system that had to slowly work itself through my intestines, which was not comfortable. I also realized that I didn't miss beer as much as I thought and don't really care to have more.

I quit smoking almost 8 years ago. I inadvertently quit drinking pop as well. Once I got through detoxing from both it didn't make sense to me to pick up a bad habit again.

But still, once every 6-9 months I get a powerful taste for diet coke. My previous poison preference. Here in good ole Ohio we have this marvel called Polar Pops. For $0.69 you can buy any size fountain pop they have ranging from 16 oz to 64 oz. I've been known to partake in a caffeine free diet coke, heavily iced. I made sure to do that right before surgery to get my fix. And it was a whole 64 oz, as I do not plan to revisit pop anytime soon. Down the road, who knows. But it's not in my plans.

I guess my biggest point is this. I don't want to "plan" on food or beverages any more. I don't want to anticipate eating or drinking. Right now that whole concept, for me, is a trigger.

Maybe my brain will be effectively retrained down the road, but for now I'm trying my hardest to tow the line. Walk the walk. I need to know without any doubt that I'm confident in my decision making. I know I'm not there at 7 weeks postop. I don't see me being there at four months postop either. But that's me.

the short answer (for some) is never. Probably this is the most debated topic on this board. I think that most Drs. and nutritionists put soda on the never again list. However, many on this board believe that soda is okay and have the occasional sip. Some also drink soda with abandon. I guess if you feel that it is something that you must do, I would say go for it and see what happens. I would suggest that the gas and bubbles are going to make you feel just a bit uncomfortable. For a lot of us, the commitment to get healthy and shake off the shackles of obesity means that certain bad habits and bad nutritional choices must be eliminated from our worlds to help ensure the success of our surgeries. I personally didn't climb spread eagle on an operating table to let a group of strangers cut out an otherwise perfectly performing stomach, without making the commitment to become the healthiest I could. So I said goodbye to soda. But I've come to realize that I am a different type of mutant on this board. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

John you are so correct.......

If you want to drink soda then drink the soda. If your stomach doesn't like it, it's not going to be our problem. I know that if I take a drink of soda, I will go back to drinking soda all day long. I also have witnessed my cousin having an addiction to pepsi and now she has alshemier (misspelled). I am addicted to food and soda's so I chose to stay away from them. It was really difficult at first, you go into a convenience store and 90% of the cold drinks are soda's.....Now my addiction is chili peanuts..... At least they are healthy. Our minds are very powerful and talk ourselves into anything. Here's to making personal choices.......CHEERS!

In Texas we call it coke no matter what the brand!

Soda, pop, fizzy drink! You're all wrong... DownUnder we call it "soft drink", as in, not an everyday drink (despite how frequently one may drink it) but not hard liquor (alcohol) either. And like the rest of the world we say "Coke" for any version of that brown coloured soft drink and "Fanta" for any orange coloured soft drink.

I started drinking diet coke at 10 weeks post op with no problems at all. If you don't have discomfort, go for it.

So..help me understand....you say that wheat products are the devil for you, and you wouldn't want to eat them, but do not understand why someone wouldn't want to drink a soda that contains mostly sugar and chemicals that have more letters than the alphabet? I agree there is no one size here, but you admit that there are foods that you avoid, why can't soda be avoided as well. I'm really confused? :blink: BTW I avoid most processed wheat products as well as soda...

I'm talking about the ones who preach that NONE of us must ever drink soda ever again and if you do, you're somehow not dedicated to the process or you are somehow automatically backsliding into emotional eating or binging.

I think it's fantastic if an individual chooses to avoid certain foods that are a problem for him/her... but what I'm saying is that these foods are not the same for all people and you should not be measuring others by your own yard stick. Soda is legitimately a big problem for some people and they can't have "just a little" so YAY for them for giving it up completely! If you don't want to drink it anymore because of chemicals then great. We should all give up soda, artificial sweeteners, natural sweeteners, wheat, commercial meat, deli meats with nitrates, excess sodium, imported grapes with black widow spiders in them, all refined grains, brominated bread etc.. But the truth is that 99.99% of us are not going to do that.. I've given up a lot of these things but I'm choosing my battles and for me, soda consumed in moderation (which for ME moderation means about two sodas a month) is something that I will choose to do if I want it... while other things are definitely on the "no go" list for me!

I'm talking about the ones who preach that NONE of us must ever drink soda ever again and if you do' date=' you're somehow not dedicated to the process or you are somehow automatically backsliding into emotional eating or binging.

I think it's fantastic if an individual chooses to avoid certain foods that are a problem for him/her... but what I'm saying is that these foods are not the same for all people and you should not be measuring others by your own yard stick. Soda is legitimately a big problem for some people and they can't have "just a little" so YAY for them for giving it up completely! If you don't want to drink it anymore because of chemicals then great. We should all give up soda, artificial sweeteners, natural sweeteners, wheat, commercial meat, deli meats with nitrates, excess sodium, imported grapes with black widow spiders in them, all refined grains, brominated bread etc.. But the truth is that 99.99% of us are not going to do that.. I've given up a lot of these things but I'm choosing my battles and for me, soda consumed in moderation (which for ME moderation means about two sodas a month) is something that I will choose to do if I want it... while other things are definitely on the "no go" list for me![/quote']

No grapes??? Wow that is some commitment!

No grapes??? Wow that is some commitment!

Nah... I still eat the black widow infested grapes.. I'm just not dedicated enough to give them up yet. :P

Nah... I still eat the black widow infested grapes.. I'm just not dedicated enough to give them up yet. :P

Hehe.. That's good! Although.... I will say, I will be shaking my grapes a bit more before I take them home! :P