Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why would u want to go back to drinking soda. You have been off it this long. It has no nutritional value what so ever and the carbonation is horrible for our new stomachs. Please use this tool to your advantage and drink healthy products. It is the major reason for this surgery.

the short answer (for some) is never. Probably this is the most debated topic on this board. I think that most Drs. and nutritionists put soda on the never again list. However, many on this board believe that soda is okay and have the occasional sip. Some also drink soda with abandon. I guess if you feel that it is something that you must do, I would say go for it and see what happens. I would suggest that the gas and bubbles are going to make you feel just a bit uncomfortable. For a lot of us, the commitment to get healthy and shake off the shackles of obesity means that certain bad habits and bad nutritional choices must be eliminated from our worlds to help ensure the success of our surgeries. I personally didn't climb spread eagle on an operating table to let a group of strangers cut out an otherwise perfectly performing stomach, without making the commitment to become the healthiest I could. So I said goodbye to soda. But I've come to realize that I am a different type of mutant on this board. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Okay, how's about we call it a weapon? A weapon in our arsenal to lose the excessive amounts of fat we have on our bodies from drinking sodas and eating crappy food and eating too much food and not moving enough, etc, etc, etc.....

No one said that cravings go away, although many people lose their taste for things they used to love. I was never a "soda" fiend, but did like them on occasion. Now they just taste too sweet to me. I had my first taste about 6 months out from surgery and two sips were enough. The bubbles made me very uncomfortable, not to mention the too-sweet taste. I figure that was my body's way of telling me that I don't need it.

My personal feeling is that you (meaning all of us) will either succeed or fail at your weight loss goals, and the end result will depend greatly on whether or not we learn to stop doing what we did that got us FAT in the first place. Sodas and junk food are probably top of the contributing factor list for many people, so keeping those things out of our post-surgery diets is probably a good thing.

If giving up bad stuff was easy, we wouldn't have had to have a chunk of our tummies removed to help us lose weight.

I don't see myself as having a tool so please don't say tool I have had 75 % of my stomach taken away no one can tell me they do t get cravings for things they had befor the surgery

Sorry to disagree...and I really am not trying to come off preachy, but yes I do consider it and will always consider it a tool to help me become a more healthy individual. It isn't the cure for obesity that many would like to think, but it is a stepping stone for a better way to live my life. I will be happy also to tell you that I don't have cravings. I have worked terribly hard to put my relationship with food in perspective and deal daily with my obesity. I am no way, shape or means perfect and have as many failings as the next person. But I do not and will not accept food a controller in my world it is only a fuel so that I may live. If soda is it for you, by all means have that soda, as everyone has to follow their own path to their own end. I genuinely wish you all the best.

I was told six weeks for soda. I was told that the bubbles in it will most certainly NOT stretch my sleeve. I was told that the bubbles MAY make me feel discomfort in which case I should not drink it.

I haven't had any interest in having any yet, but when I do, I'll have some.. Pre-surgery I'd have maybe a 20 ounce soda a couple times a month which I don't see as excessive. If soda was a "trigger food" for me then I'd want to avoid it, but for me it's just a nice happy beverage option that I'd like to enjoy on occasion in the future.

I do not understand the "anti-soda" contingent. Personally I feel quite strongly that wheat products are the devil for ME and why would I ever want to put them in my body again. Because for ME they act as trigger foods and they kinda make me feel icky.... but I do recognize that for others this may not be the case. There is no one size fits all approach here.

I am 4 months post op and I would love a drink of cold soda anyone tried soda yet?

. It is my understanding that if you allow the soda to go flat you can drink away.... Mainly it is the carbonation that creates a issue. However, as many have said some are able to drink them fully loaded with carbonation with no discomfort. So, truth be told it is up to your toleration level.

This is "Your Journey" , you chose what works for you! Best Wishes! Tina

I am 4 months post op and I would love a drink of cold soda anyone tried soda yet?

My only concern would be that I just read in another thread you started, that you are 4 months pregnant also??

At this point you are not able to fit much in your stomach. And now that you are pregnant it's even more important to that what little you take in is nutritious.

I do not understand the "anti-soda" contingent. Personally I feel quite strongly that wheat products are the devil for ME and why would I ever want to put them in my body again. Because for ME they act as trigger foods and they kinda make me feel icky.... but I do recognize that for others this may not be the case. There is no one size fits all approach here.

So..help me understand....you say that wheat products are the devil for you, and you wouldn't want to eat them, but do not understand why someone wouldn't want to drink a soda that contains mostly sugar and chemicals that have more letters than the alphabet? I agree there is no one size here, but you admit that there are foods that you avoid, why can't soda be avoided as well. I'm really confused? :blink: BTW I avoid most processed wheat products as well as soda...

Sugar, real or fake is just going to make your body want more. I haven't had carbonation for years because I believe it robs the skin of hydration.

Ok, done with my Sunday sermon.. Do whatcha want, but don't expect all the answer to be what you want to hear. It's a public forum and you asked a very debatable question.

If and when you decide, on your own... Well, then CHEERS!

:D

What's this "soda" y'all are talking about? Doncha know its called "pop".

What's this "soda" y'all are talking about? Doncha know its called "pop".

EXACTLY!

Crazy peeps.. And their odd dialects ;)