Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we smoke 6 days after the procedure?

I wish I wouldn't of read this thread. Lol. I use Copenhagen ( told the nurse) but she didn't even say anything about quitting ... I've never heard this before reading this thread. I have surgery on the 14th ,,,,,, is it the smoke and tat from cigs or the nicotine , if its nicotine I'm guessing snuff has an equal amount or more.

On a side note , my life Insurence rep told me that nicotine stays n ur body from 3-6 months ,,. U would have to quit smoking for more than two weeks to not have it show up on there test. Js

I am an RN- smoking significant impacts on healing - not just a little but ALOT. It may also contribute to developing a clot. The two scariest things about having this surgery. Seriously - I wouldn't risk it. Get some Patches and just get yourself to at least 6 weeks out then decide. Good luck to you - smoking is a b***h to kick!

I wholeheartedly disagree with Your statement, "The sleeve is for anyone that can meet the criteria for insurance and your doctor's conditions, or for whoever wants to go to Mexico and pay cash."

Just because one meets the criteria or has the money does not mean the sleeve is for them. Mental preparation, a true 100% dedication to a permanent lifestyle change before and after surgery, and a complete comprehension of risks and acceptance of the reason they have issues with food is predominately who the sleeve is really for. So many people that look at it simplistically are the folks we have on the forum and in support groups with constant complaints and regrets. People that see this major operation as a quick fix for 30-40 lbs or just as a cosmetic procedure are the biggest reason for the ever increasing spike in regrets and horror stories we now see.

There are plenty of people on this site and everywhere that suffer severe depression and even suicidal thoughts/tendencies post op because they simply were not ready for this commitment.

I mean Hell, this is more permanent than marriage! (Not that I agree with it) but you can always pay for a divorce, you can't magically grow back 85% of your stomach. (yet anyway, give it a few years and there will be some crazy stem cell gut regrow process.)

The judgments on this page (not all, of course) come from a place of concern and experience. The insurance, weight qualifications, and money aspects should be last on the list for anyone considering this surgery.

Oh preach on. If someone isn't able to adjust to the psychological changes that will be required after this surgery then they shouldn't make the choice to have it. While I am not insensitive to the dramatic feelings that take place post op, the suicide and major depression statistics after surgery was not the question asked. Everyone should be aware of their mental status prior to making this choice and if they aren't - well then make yourself aware before having most of your stomach removed.

So again - if a smoker chooses to have the sleeve and still smokes, well so what? The question was asked and I answered it.

Sleeve is your second chance at life. I don't understand anyone goinbthru this major surgery and still trying to cheat. With foods or cigarettes either you do or you don't. If you plan a half ass attempt why bother. I've read here people skippy stages not following advice from surgeons. I just shake my head. I believe it's these people up with complications and don't succeed. If your not truly ready to chance fontbitbit won't work for you and you will end up with more damage

I have had a procedure done on 4/26/13 and wondering if I can smoke.

No

Oh preach on. If someone isn't able to adjust to the psychological changes that will be required after this surgery then they shouldn't make the choice to have it. While I am not insensitive to the dramatic feelings that take place post op, the suicide and major depression statistics after surgery was not the question asked. Everyone should be aware of their mental status prior to making this choice and if they aren't - well then make yourself aware before having most of your stomach removed.

Sharon, have you had any type of WLS yet? It DOES make a difference...what you can't do psychologically BEFORE WLS, you can often do AFTER WLS.

My "addiction" is sweet tea. Good ol' cane sugar sweetened, Southern tea. Before my Lapband surgery, I promised myself over and over again that I'd quit drinking it.

I drank sweet tea until the day or two before my surgery (didn't have a pre-op diet). :( After the surgery? I didn't drink it for almost 2 YEARS. Now, guess what? I can't seem to "kick" the tea addiction again...but then, the band has lost its effective, which is why I'm converting to the sleeve.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be responsible for our actions, thoughts and feelings...I AM saying that weight loss, hunger, obesity, etc, is a very complicated cycle. With so many hormones and feedback mechanisms in place, it's NOT just a matter of "deciding" to do it...the WLS helps because it helps to "interrupt" some of those cycles and mechanisms pushing us to eat.

So for those of you still pre-op and struggling with food choices...it DOES get better at WLS. Is it a cure-all and a fix for everyone? Nope. There are people so addicted to food that they simply can't give it up...even with WLS. But those are the minority.

What does this mean for smokers and weightloss? Well, it's 2 different critters. Just because you can't quit smoking is NOT a predictor of your potential success with weight loss post-op. WLS is for WEIGHT loss, not smoking addictions. To kick the smoking habit, you might very well need to get help through nicotine Patches, medications, etc...but that's why the HELP IS AVAILABLE.

As a group, we really need to quit blaming ourselves...that somehow, we're not strong enough or committed enough or have enough willpower. Sometimes, it truly IS your BIOLOGY working against you.

So

As for sweet tea, think about getting the McD version that is SF and add as many splenda as you like for sweetening. For a large, I add about 8 splenda. It was a good drink in the first few weeks post op when out and about. McD is everywhere. Cheap too @ 1 dollar for a large.

If cannot follow the rules especially this early out. Then don't get the sleeve this is a serious decision not to be taken lightly if you still feel you going to sneak here and there. Why bother. It's the muscle between your ears you truly have to work after wls. Youncan lie on a journal you can't lie to your body

Sharon, have you had any type of WLS yet? It DOES make a difference...what you can't do psychologically BEFORE WLS, you can often do AFTER WLS.

My "addiction" is sweet tea. Good ol' cane sugar sweetened, Southern tea. Before my Lapband surgery, I promised myself over and over again that I'd quit drinking it.

I drank sweet tea until the day or two before my surgery (didn't have a pre-op diet). :( After the surgery? I didn't drink it for almost 2 YEARS. Now, guess what? I can't seem to "kick" the tea addiction again...but then, the band has lost its effective, which is why I'm converting to the sleeve.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be responsible for our actions, thoughts and feelings...I AM saying that weight loss, hunger, obesity, etc, is a very complicated cycle. With so many hormones and feedback mechanisms in place, it's NOT just a matter of "deciding" to do it...the WLS helps because it helps to "interrupt" some of those cycles and mechanisms pushing us to eat.

So for those of you still pre-op and struggling with food choices...it DOES get better at WLS. Is it a cure-all and a fix for everyone? Nope. There are people so addicted to food that they simply can't give it up...even with WLS. But those are the minority.

What does this mean for smokers and weightloss? Well, it's 2 different critters. Just because you can't quit smoking is NOT a predictor of your potential success with weight loss post-op. WLS is for WEIGHT loss, not smoking addictions. To kick the smoking habit, you might very well need to get help through nicotine Patches, medications, etc...but that's why the HELP IS AVAILABLE.

As a group, we really need to quit blaming ourselves...that somehow, we're not strong enough or committed enough or have enough willpower. Sometimes, it truly IS your BIOLOGY working against you.

So

Yep. I have had the sleeve already. I understand the mental and emotional changes that take place. And I stand by what I said. The question was smoking. I answered it as I saw fit. Big deal. And I also stand by what I said about the psychological implications of weight loss surgery. If you are not able to recognize and deal with the changes and feelings that will take place - then hold off on surgery until you are able. It's a big step and if one is prone to depression or self destructive behavior then one would need to get this under control before making this decision. It's not worth suicidal thoughts or deep depression. If ya can't handle it then don't have it until you can.

If you are not able to recognize and deal with the changes and feelings that will take place - then hold off on surgery until you are able. It's a big step and if one is prone to depression or self destructive behavior then one would need to get this under control before making this decision. It's not worth suicidal thoughts or deep depression. If ya can't handle it then don't have it until you can.

I agree with recognizing if you're prone to depression or self destructive behavior, but NOT about being able to recognize and deal with the psychological changes that occur post WLS. Because in MOST instances, people don't KNOW. Oh, sure, we can read boards, listen to other people, do research, talk to counselors, etc...but even then, it's not the same thing as experiencing it yourself. And sometimes, you can do all the right things and then, post WLS, realize it's an entirely different ballgame.

So yeah, I'm agreeing with you in some ways, but I don't think people should NOT get WLS just because they're having trouble making the mental adjustmens/changes pre-op. Because, after all, if we could do that and stick to do, we wouldn't need the WLS in the first place.

Yep. I have had the sleeve already. I understand the mental and emotional changes that take place. And I stand by what I said. The question was smoking. I answered it as I saw fit. Big deal. And I also stand by what I said about the psychological implications of weight loss surgery. If you are not able to recognize and deal with the changes and feelings that will take place - then hold off on surgery until you are able. It's a big step and if one is prone to depression or self destructive behavior then one would need to get this under control before making this decision. It's not worth suicidal thoughts or deep depression. If ya can't handle it then don't have it until you can.

Apparently psychology and the statistics that go with it aren't your bag. The increase in hormones, withdrawal from carbs, etc can effect the "sane" after surgery when they were never aware or affected before. And you DO NOT know all the psychological changes and implication that happen after surgery, known of us do. We're all different, what you went through is 100% different than the experiences of other. Which is why research should be done before surgery to read up on anything and everything sleeve. I stand by what I said. Money and insurance coverage is the last thing that should be considered. Smoking addiction, any habits, lifestyle change should be considered before the finance. The question was about smoking. I answered as I saw fit, appropriate, and beneficial.

You will be able to drink sweet tea with the sleeve too.

Oh, I know! I wasn't implying that the LapBand (or sleeve) stopped me from drinking tea. It was a bunch of factors, such as the huge commitment I'd made by having WLS. It was the fact that I wasn't hungry all the time or continually frustrated with trying to lose weight. It was that I'd eat my small portion of Protein and vegetables and feel SATISFIED. I just never really wanted it that much, which was an amazing feeling!

Apparently psychology and the statistics that go with it aren't your bag. The increase in hormones, withdrawal from carbs, etc can effect the "sane" after surgery when they were never aware or affected before. And you DO NOT know all the psychological changes and implication that happen after surgery, known of us do. We're all different, what you went through is 100% different than the experiences of other. Which is why research should be done before surgery to read up on anything and everything sleeve. I stand by what I said. Money and insurance coverage is the last thing that should be considered. Smoking addiction, any habits, lifestyle change should be considered before the finance. The question was about smoking. I answered as I saw fit, appropriate, and beneficial.

Actually, about 80 % of the emotions and changes that happen after the sleeve are common among most. Read up. You can do it right here on this forum. Thanks so much for letting us all know your opinion and good job in diagnosing what is or isn't my bag. I'll be able to rest peacefully tonight now that I know just what my problems are:)