Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Humble Kingwood Atascocita Huffman Cypresswood

Hi everyone:

I am brand new to the site (This is my first post) and I am going to an informational session in the Med Center for band and Roux-en-y tomorrow night. I work have worked for surgeons for 15 years and just never made a decision to have anything done beecause I didn't want to do anything so extreme as the Roux-en-y procedure. I was so excited when I learned about the lap band procedure. I have BC/BS and so I have to start the 6 month diet before they will pay for it but I am so excited. I live in the Crosby area and drive to the med center every day for work (Crazy, huh?). LOL I am 32, am married to a wonderful man and have 2 kids, a son that is 3 1/2 and a 9 month old daughter. I am so ready to start on this road to getting thinner.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I am excited there is a group in our area that meets for support, etc. since that will be so key in keeping on the straight and narrow. <Grin>

Welcome Mommy to 2. Glad you will be joining us sooon in lapband land. It was the best decision I made for myself. Hope all goes well for you and you get accepted. Join us when you can. I know its difficult with 2 little ones.

Hey bikergrammy! I spent 3 weeks in Thailand last year, about this time last year! I love the culture, took the cooking classes, went rounding up gems, at the street food and had the street and spa massages. If I didn't have ties here, it would have been tempting to stay for a few years. It's a wonderful culture. Ya gotta love people whose phone book is alphabetical by first name.

Welcome Mommyto2. I'm in Huffman. Come have a meal with us when you can! Who's your prospective surgeon?

Hi BetsyJane:

I work for Baylor College of Medicine and one we have a few surgeons that do the Roux en y and the Lap Band. Vadim Sherman, MD is the one that specializes in the Lap Band and Dr. John Sweeney does in the Roux en y. I use to work for them and have seen the work they do and their outcomes are very impressive so that's who will be doing mine. It helps when you know the physician and / or work in the medical field. I know Dr. Spivak is probably the one that does the most work in Houston and I see his name listed a lot with different people as their surgeon so I would imagine he is a wonderful physician as well. I have a LOT to lose so I'm anxoius to get started on the whole process. I have PCOS and had to take Prednisone to get pregnant with my son and I was already over weight then and the month I took the Prednisone I gained like 60 or 70 lbs so that just packed it on and of course I've never lost it and then gained more when I got pregnant with my duahgter.....so I have at least 170 to loose.

Has it been hard for any of you to follow the post op diet? The chewing until food is pulverized I would imagine takes some getting use too, but it's smething I'm definetely not dreading. Anything to get the weight off!!!!!

I have had bouts with prednisone for my Lupus, and overall, gained 80 pounds. Grrr..... I'm amazed how many people who have been on prednisone end up getting lap bands. Somebody needs to do a study.

Following the post op diet takes work. The difference for me before and after banding is that it used to be impossible. Now it's just hard work. Hard work leading to success.

Come join us if you can! (We're wandering over to eat Thai food tonight at 5:30....)

I would come join tonight but I'll be at my "Orientation" meeting for the Lap Band procedure. It's from 4 to 6:00 or 6:30 I can't remember....so my husband will have fun with the kids at home. <Grin>

How many people usually show up for your get togethers?

Sorry guys I will not be able to make it tonight. I have had a day from hell with the lights being off for many hours and the kids and do not forget the 4 dogs. I cannot wait for my day to be over and get into my pjs. Hope you all have have a great time and I will see you all next time where every that may be.

Suzanne.

Had a great time tonight with you guys. Unfortunately, I had a delayed reaction to eating the rice, and lost some of it on the way home! I'll start my assignment tomorrow morning...one more reason to go to the gym!

Sorry to hear about the rice. I've not had a delayed reaction before. That is something new. Do you do that often? For me, its immediate. :rolleyes:

Enjoyed the chat tonight. Its good to hear other's tell about their journey. Let me know about Saturday. It might be good to at least hear what they have to say.

I'll post the website tomorrow for the formal wear. I have it at work.

I had a delayed reaction once before with bread--kind of a bad surprise. But that was great food! I like it when we try new places. I'm game for Saturday morning to see how they approach the issues. I will start on my assignment tomorrow also. We are going to make this journey fun!

Can't do this Sat. after all. But I can the following Sat. If you go this week, I'll be interested to hear about it.

I've never had a delayed reaction before. Can't figure out how that happened.

I'm going to try the wieght lifting to music class this morning.....

I succeeded and failed at my assignment. The folks next to 24 hour fitness have a nutritionist with no formal training, who will talk with us, but in the course of a 2 minute conversation about nutrition, it was recommended that we take pills for stress, pills for digestion, cleansing herbs, vegetable drinks, etc etc. And nothing about actual food.

I know this is probably a long shot since everybody is committed elsewhere, but 24 Hour Fitness has Pilates and Yoga. I think I pay $25 or $30 a month and all the classes are included in the price. Just in case you want to buddy up for exercise, The have

cycling class

step class

weight lifting to music

kick boxing

aquarobics

abs class

dance and barbells class

salsa moves

Each day of the week is different. Pilates is both daytime and evening. Yoga is only daytime right now, but there is a stretching class evening... Aquarobics 2 nights a week. No Tai Chi yet, but they're open to suggestions. They also teach pole dancing.... :-)

I just did the weight lifting class this morning for the first time. My legs are rubbery but I got through it and had a great time. Most of the classes are open to all fitness levels, and they tell you in the class descriptions if it's intermediate or advanced.

It's not all Babes in Bras, which I like......

I figure it's a good place to hang out and do a lot of different things....