Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First, it's highly unlikely that air or carbonation will cause your sleeve to stretch. The fundus, which is the stretchy part of the stomach, is removed in this surgery, so the amount of stretch that people can get is really negligible. The fallacy of the stomach stretching comes from talking about gastric bypass, where there is still fundus left as part of the pouch, and it can stretch fairly easily.

What excess air and carbonation CAN do is result in significant discomfort, especially if your stomach is still healing.

Using a straw can be a problem if you tend to gulp with it. However, if you use the straw to pull a small amount of liquid into your mouth before you swallow (not straight into a gulp down your throat) there's really very little difference between that and sipping from a cup.

Time to relax and stop squawking at people, folks. It's good to be concerned for each other, but this is an insignificant blip on the "not following doctors orders" radar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

Thank you so much for your input. :-)

I only drink from a straw. Never quit. Oh lord, I wasn't prepared for this surgery!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I've never had a problem.

LOL!

And I'd like to know the science behind drinking from a straw causing your stomach to stretch. I just can't see any correlation between the two.

Thank you Everyone!

And I'd like to know the science behind drinking from a straw causing your stomach to stretch. I just can't see any correlation between the two.

I've not looked for, asked about, or ran across the proof of this. IDK...but for some things I do my own research & take polls & sometimes the majority wins with me when it comes to things that I feel will not harm me. It actually does help me get my Water down more easily. No probs for me thus far. If my surgeon "swears" that it will cause harm, I shall break up with my straw & find another love...lol!

It helps me too. If I drink straight from a cup, I get a pain in my chest followed by a big ol burp!

The idea is that if you gulp with a straw

a. you may take in too much and

b. you will take in a significant amount of extra air, causing bloat which expands your stomach.

The idea is that if you do this regularly your stomach will stretch to accommodate.

There is a certain element of truth to this if you still have the fundus, much as a normal stomach will stretch over time if you habitually fill it with too much. Think about a balloon after it's been blown up for awhile. Let the air out and it does not return to its original size; it is stretched out.

It has minimal application to most sleevers, as in most cases they have little or no fundus remaining after surgery, and the remaining stomach is not stretchy to anywhere near the same degree. It would be wise to be very careful while you're still healing, though, because you don't want to put a lot of pressure on the staple line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

You won't feel anything now except some extra burps but in the long run it does cause problems......DON'T USE STRAWS!!! DON'T DRINK CARBONATED BEVERAGES!! Are you really willing to risk it just for convenience sake? I have seen it happen where the sleeve was stretched out and it's not a pretty thing. The girl was devastated!! Didn't think it would happen to her and she had no issues while using a straw but after 6 months at made a huge difference and she put back on 50 lbs. she cried all through the support group meeting. Please be smart and follow doctors advice!!!

I would guarantee that using a straw will not stretch your stomach. I would also guarantee that the girl who put on 50 pounds is six months was putting something a lot more that a straw in her mouth.

Anyhow....Back to the original question,

@mysleevemylife, we were sleeved on the same day! My surgeon does fall toward the conservative side so I feel safe in using a straw. His orders were no straws or gum for 4 weeks. I have been using a straw since then and no issues.

Hope all is going well and you are getting back to normal. I feel like life is getting back there and I am loving it!

I was never able to get enough liquids in until I started using a straw at 3 months out. I am now able to get all the liquids I need in with no problem!

I second that motion!

"I would guarantee that using a straw will not stretch your stomach. I would also guarantee that the girl who put on 50 pounds is six months was putting something a lot more that a straw in her mouth."

Bwahaha.. Love it!

My guess is that the girl in question was not tracking her food adequately, and was getting around the sleeve by eating slider foods and/or drinking while eating - that might make her think she had stretched because of the lack of restriction. She just assumed that the issue was the straw. Of course, I don't have any evidence of this, but it seems like a logical assumption.

The "no drinking from a straw" rule was one of those things put in for the 1 in 1000 person incapable of drinking from a straw without swallowing a lot of air first. It's a total CYA on the part of the doctors. They don't want to get sued because apparently in the past someone tried to sue a bariatric doctor and claimed their problem was caused by drinking from a straw....which is horse ****. Apparently it was the same person who poured hot coffee on her vagina and then sued McDonalds. Anyone who says they stretched their sleeve by drinking from a straw is either lying, or taking a total blind guess because really....how would they even know it was stretched....or it was caused by the straw?

My surgeon told us in the pre-surgery meetings that the "no straw" rule has since been debunked. So, I've been using a straw since day 1 in the hospital.

However, I fully respect those surgeons who don't allow it. I'm just passing on my surgeon's acceptance of the straw. :)

~Jenn

You won't feel anything now except some extra burps but in the long run it does cause problems......DON'T USE STRAWS!!! DON'T DRINK CARBONATED BEVERAGES!! Are you really willing to risk it just for convenience sake? I have seen it happen where the sleeve was stretched out and it's not a pretty thing. The girl was devastated!! Didn't think it would happen to her and she had no issues while using a straw but after 6 months at made a huge difference and she put back on 50 lbs. she cried all through the support group meeting. Please be smart and follow doctors advice!!!

I'm sure it was more than just the straw that made her gain 50lbs... exercise, food, etc. The straw just gives you gas and so does carbonated drinks. Now soda is a totally different story. You drink a can a day and you'll be 15lbs more than the week before.