Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm actually 5 weeks out and have thought about trying a straw. I always drank from a straw Pre-surgery. I think I swallow more air drinking without a straw. I'm going to try one. My body will let me know if it is a problem.

All my drinks in hospital were given to me with a straw. I just thought it was the normal thing, I had no problems, in fact it was easier for me.

I can only say from experience that drinking from a straw has made me sick and I will continue to follow my doctors advice. Kudos to you all that choose to do otherwise. I'm jealous that you can do so without the ramifications but it's not necessary to make fun of those who do suffer from it. Shame on you! Best of luck and I wish you continued success in this journey!

Who was making fun of people who have trouble using a straw. I reread every post and still missed it.

BOTTOM LINE EVERYONE IS DIFFERANT!!!!!!!!! IF SHE CAN HANDLE THE STRAW GREATNO NEEDTO JUMP ON HER FOR IT !!!!!! ALL DOCTORS HAVE DIFFERANT RULES.

A lot of people tend to unintentionally swallow air when chewing gum. I wonder if that's the reason?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I was told no gum because if you swallow it, it can cause a blockage. I still chew gum, because I never swallow it. I also use a straw, but I do suck the liquid into my mouth as though from the glass, and then swallow. I actually feel like I swallow more air when I DON'T use a straw!

Who was making fun of people who have trouble using a straw. I reread every post and still missed it.

It was that gravy business which I believe was started by.....oh who was it.....oh yeah....you. It was funny though. I personally don't like my gravy through a straw because the mashed potatoes always get stuck.

I can only say from experience that drinking from a straw has made me sick and I will continue to follow my doctors advice. Kudos to you all that choose to do otherwise. I'm jealous that you can do so without the ramifications but it's not necessary to make fun of those who do suffer from it. Shame on you! Best of luck and I wish you continued success in this journey!

I'm sorry if you took it that way. No one was making fun of someone suffering from drinking from a straw. In fact, no one mentioned suffering from it until you. I'm sorry that drinking from a straw makes things worse for you. What we were doing was making light of the different advice from different Surgeons. We have all the the exact SAME surgery. We have all got DIFFERENT orders and advice from our surgeons and NUT's. Sometimes you just have to use some common sense and figure out what is best for you.

Surely you must understand that some of the advice given to patients is based on a number of things, facts, opinions, serving the lowest common denominator and finally, covering their backsides. Otherwise, we would all have the same orders for the same amount of time.

For me, mine falls towards the conservative side so it was no fun for me hearing of new sleevers coming home from the hospital eating pudding, Jello and egg when I was on liquids for 3 weeks.

This is a serious surgery but nowhere does is say that one must lose all sense of humor with the weight.

Please do follow your surgeon's advice. I am following mine but it doesn't make one wrong to not follow YOUR surgeon's advice.

Again, sorry if you thought we were making fun of someone's suffering. If that was the case, I am duly shamed.

Welp, in my defense, I was making jokes about a straw causing one to gain 50 pounds. Not people who have real physical side effects. Plus, I was making jokes to defend the OP against posters implying she's a moron for even thinking about drinking from a straw.

Only the gool Lord up above can shame me!!!! Can I get an amen?!?......no? .....okay......haha

It was that gravy business which I believe was started by.....oh who was it.....oh yeah....you. It was funny though. I personally don't like my gravy through a straw because the mashed potatoes always get stuck.

Only if you don't get all the lumps out! :D

Welp, in my defense, I was making jokes about a straw causing one to gain 50 pounds. Not people who have real physical side effects. Plus, I was making jokes to defend the OP against posters implying she's a moron for even thinking about drinking from a straw.

Only the gool Lord up above can shame me!!!! Can I get an amen?!?......no? .....okay......haha

Further in your (our) defense, I don't think we were making fun of using a straw making the poor girl gain 50 pounds, we were making fun some someone actually BELIEVING that's what caused the weight gain. I mean, come on, if you believe that, I've got some pacific ocean view property for sale here in Texas.

Come on folks, let's lighten up a little. Its good. It's all good. :)

Only if you don't get all the lumps out! :D

But I like the lumps! That's it. I'm going to the restaurant supply store and buying a gross of bubble tea straws so I can have my lumps and suck it, too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

This was a concern for me as well as I am attached to my Tervis tumbler and I drink everything through a straw. I gulp more air from a cup than I do a straw and I can tell that now, pre-surgery, by how much I burp. I have several friends who are a year out+ from surgery and have used a straw from day one. They are fine.

As for smoker's lips? Use a wider straw. It's not that big of a deal.

I was told no gum because if you swallow it' date=' it can cause a blockage. I still chew gum, because I never swallow it. I also use a straw, but I do suck the liquid into my mouth as though from the glass, and then swallow. I actually feel like I swallow more air when I DON'T use a straw![/quote']

OH!!!!!! Now that sounds dangerous! Finally a good reason for something. I could skip the gum, but as long as you're older than 5, I won't knock you for chewing it, lol!

This was a concern for me as well as I am attached to my Tervis tumbler and I drink everything through a straw. I gulp more air from a cup than I do a straw and I can tell that now, pre-surgery, by how much I burp. I have several friends who are a year out+ from surgery and have used a straw from day one. They are fine.

As for smoker's lips? Use a wider straw. It's not that big of a deal.

OMG! My Tervis tumbler goes EVERWHERE with me! Made proudly in the USA!

I knew there was a reason I like you! :D

Welp' date=' in my defense, I was making jokes about a straw causing one to gain 50 pounds. Not people who have real physical side effects. Plus, I was making jokes to defend the OP against posters implying she's a moron for even thinking about drinking from a straw.

Only the gool Lord up above can shame me!!!! Can I get an amen?!?......no? .....okay......haha[/quote']

AMEN!