Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I've been viewing this forum before my surgery and a lot of the information helped me.

I did my vsg on july 2012 and i've lost more than 100lbs in 10 months which i'm really happy about.

But soon I will be going to the military camp for 3 months which explains the topic title.

I can handle the drills but the food!! we have three meals per day and I'm only allowed 1-2 min to eat.

and i can't eat that much in 2min. there is no way they are gonna give me more time.

I'm concerned that if i didn't eat the proper amount required I will be tired all the time and I will lose my muscles and not fat.

I already delayed the camp due to my weight in the past, but this could be my last chance.

please help

Stuff your pockets? ;) Have you told them about your surgery and how detrimental it would be to your performance to not have adequate eating time? Do u think u are able to munch on Protein Bars in between meals?

would they accept a medical note from your doctor?

Try to eat when it is not meal time, at night, grab a protien bar and put it in your pocket. I am not sure if you may have to disclose your surgery too them. I doubt that they could discriminate against you because of it. Good Luck

I agree SleeveNZ that you should inform the military about this health issue. Good luck!

Do u mean basic training by military camp? If this is the case you do get more than 2 min to eat and no they are not going to let you keep food with you or eat when others don't. They probably are not going to make a medical exception either...there are plenty of other people that wanna be there that won't hinder the training schedule. If u are 10 mon ths out I woyld think u woyld be able to get enough to do fine the hydration is more important. I was on a restricted diet during basic to lose more weight (prior to vsg) and was allowed fish and veggies...not many calories and I did fine. I just wouldn't want you to expect them to make any accomadations when their only concern is training you to be a part of the team the same as everyone else. If you don't feel like you can do it without accomadation I would wait a bit longer if I were u

Thanks a lot guys,I doubt that their gonna take a medical note. Every one is treated the same, I noticed my stomach getting bigger but I can't eat quickly. I guess I'll have to drink Water and eat as much Protein as I can and stuff my pockets, that what everyone keep telling me XD.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate your help *hug*

I agree SleeveNZ that you should inform the military about this health issue. Good luck!

Not sure that it will make a difference to them but you should definitely tell them. Remember the Protein first rule. It exists because Protein feeds muscle. Our bodies are very adaptable. Feed it well and it will find a way. Best of luck and Thank You for serving our country!!

Thanks a lot guys' date='I doubt that their gonna take a medical note. Every one is treated the same, I noticed my stomach getting bigger but I can't eat quickly. I guess I'll have to drink Water and eat as much Protein as I can and stuff my pockets, that what everyone keep telling me XD.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate your help *hug*[/quote']

Curious, does this "military camp" know that you have this medical condition?

I don't know branch your are joining, but you are required to provide full disclosure of your health/surgical history. If it is discovered after the fact, it is grounds for separation. In boot camp, you are allowed longer than 2 minutes to eat your meal. Navy feeds you very well. You are not allowed to stuff your pockets. If caught, you will be punished. Most likely, your entire division will be punished because of you.

Curious, does this "military camp" know that you have this medical condition?

They do, all they did is to ask me if it was going to be a problem and i said no. a friend of mine had a vsg and joined the airforce, he was treated the same.

I don't know branch your are joining, but you are required to provide full disclosure of your health/surgical history. If it is discovered after the fact, it is grounds for separation. In boot camp, you are allowed longer than 2 minutes to eat your meal. Navy feeds you very well. You are not allowed to stuff your pockets. If caught, you will be punished. Most likely, your entire division will be punished because of you.

I doubt the separation,like i said everyone is treated the same. I don't mind being punished but the entire division??

this makes me think twice, because the most common punishment is staying in the camp over the weekend its already hard enough as it is.

The reason I did the surgery was to be able join the police force. I'm not gonna make something that helped along the way stop me from pursuing my dream. ;)

Thanks again guys :)

Are we talking about the US armed forces? It was my understanding that any bariatric surgery was a disqualifying event.

Are we talking about the US armed forces? It was my understanding that any bariatric surgery was a disqualifying event.

Not it's a basics boot camp that I'm required to finish before college, So i can be a police officer right after getting my bachelor degree.

I tried a new stunt today. I timed myself 2mins and ate as fast as i could. The trick was to eat quickly before my brain notice my stomach is full. It took me 2mins to eat what i usually eat in 20-30 mins. I did feel some pain but not that strong. I know this is dangerous but what do u guys think?

I tried a new stunt today. I timed myself 2mins and ate as fast as i could. The trick was to eat quickly before my brain notice my stomach is full. It took me 2mins to eat what i usually eat in 20-30 mins. I did feel some pain but not that strong. I know this is dangerous but what do u guys think?

I really don't think it's dangerous at 10 months post op. But I am wondering, since this is not a boot camp in the strictest traditional sense, is it possible to bring your own food supply? I think of would be a great idea for you to have liquid meal supplements. If you couldn't slam a slim fast or Protein drink, then eat a few bites I think that would sustain you a lot better.