Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days from Surgery.. Pre Op killing me.... Is it a sign that I am not for the VSG?

:mellow: ... I am 7 days out from my surgery date. I have been required to engage in a liquid ( with some green veggies ) diet for 2 weeks prior. I am struggling... I ate dinner with my kids ( 11 and 12 ) on Sunday night and today ( Monday ) I just ate some chicken Strips. I have lost 32 pounds in the 6 months the insurance required. Approval was not difficult, all my testing went fine. But now that I am so close and I am struggling... Do you think its a 'sign' that I am really not a great candidate? Maybe I dont have what it takes to be a successful VSG'r?

My husband is out of town on business and is so supportive. He typically takes the kids and lets me go to bed... and hide from eating. But since I am on my own for this 2 week period I am wondering if ... well... I am a doubter and paranoid as a rule.

I am not looking for approval for my cheat! I just feel FOREIGN in my own skin and am worried that I maybe making a mistake ... again. As nothing I have tried has been something I could stay with for a life time.

:unsure: I see my surgeon on Wednesday. He is a bit of an intense personality, have met him once. He comes highly recommended, several of my friends have used him. Funny to think that I don't want him to be disappointed in me or reject me because I have not lost much on the liquid diet because I am not able to stick to the stringent plan.

Am I feeling a NORMAL stage? Is this typical for someone 7 days out? Is this a 'sign' that the VSG is not for me?

It's normal.. at least it was for me.. I cheated 3 times.. It's not advised obviously, but it does get easier after the surgery.. For the first week or so I didn't even want / miss food.. By one month out, I am eating only 300-500 cals a day because I just can't get more in.. I'm sure that will increase in coming weeks.. But it is worth the effort to power through the pre-op and get through the surgery.. Life will return to a new normal after a while.. It's all a part of the process. :)

It's normal.. at least it was for me.. I cheated 3 times.. It's not advised obviously, but it does get easier after the surgery.. For the first week or so I didn't even want / miss food.. By one month out, I am eating only 300-500 cals a day because I just can't get more in.. I'm sure that will increase in coming weeks.. But it is worth the effort to power through the pre-op and get through the surgery.. Life will return to a new normal after a while.. It's all a part of the process. :)

I was relieved when I found out my surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet...without the tool of the sleeve, I am not sure I could do it for a full week, much less two weeks...I, too, worry that I won't be able to do it even after VSG, but I have to give it a try and do my best...I am praying that the surgery will help get me on track with my eating habits--right now I feel like I am in a vicious eating cycle

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this. The point of the pre-op diet is usually to allow the liver to shrink and make it easier to maneuver during surgery. I think it's normal to have doubts, because I did just before surgery. But don't self-sabotage. Instead, call the Dr's office, ask if there is someone you can speak to regarding your anxiety. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I feel your pain. I have to do 10 day pre op and I'm 2 days in and I'm dying to eat a buffalo wing!!! My family had Chinese tonite and I just took my pudding and went in my room.

I was thinking just like you like maybe this isn't for me. But then I envisioned my post op self with killer stilettos on and I know I'm making the right decision. ; )

We can do this!! You have to work for what you want and that's never easy. Why would this b any different?! Stay strong it's worth it! (As I chomp on a celery stick) LOL

Quote from the movie, 'A League of Their Own':

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

Day 6 Post-Surgery for me.

It's worth it.

It is SO different after surgery compared to presurgery. I struggled with the preop diet but I gave it my all because more than anything I wanted a safe surgery. Part of the reason the sleeve is so successful is how different it is after the surgery. If it were easy before we wouldn't need the surgery, right? If you have gone through all the hoops to get where you are, you will be just fine. Have faith.

You are getting good advice. The PRE op diet was really really hard, I called my doc and told them how starving I was at week 3 & they let me eat a little more. Then 2 days before my surgery I pigged out, called doc again, he told me it is called the last meal. I lost the required amount but it sucked.

Since the surgery all is better, real hunger is relieved, heck I'd I am hungry 4-6 bites later I am full.

I almost chickened out one week before surgery, thank God I did not. 108 lbs gone in 9 months.

Only u know if this is for you, but do not base it on the preop DIET, none of us ever were successful on a diet long term, that's why we are employing a new tool, hang in there. You are doing good

From what I've been told another reason for the pre-op diet, besides liver shrinkage is so you don't go off on a binge and gain a whole bunch of weight that you will have to get rid of later.

I know it's hard. Been there done that, easier to do this time around. Another plus of having the band first. Ive done A LOT of 3 day liquids.

You can do it!!! Just remember the majority of your weight is lost Pre-op and the first 6 months after. Can you tell yourself this is only for the 6 1/2 months and you will reevaluate your eating at that time. Small victories! We can do anything for 6 months. It's all about the head games. At least in the beginning.

Laurie

From what I've been told another reason for the pre-op diet, besides liver shrinkage is so you don't go off on a binge and gain a whole bunch of weight that you will have to get rid of later.

I know it's hard. Been there done that, easier to do this time around. Another plus of having the band first. Ive done A LOT of 3 day liquids.

You can do it!!! Just remember the majority of your weight is lost Pre-op and the first 6 months after. Can you tell yourself this is only for the 6 1/2 months and you will reevaluate your eating at that time. Small victories! We can do anything for 6 months. It's all about the head games. At least in the beginning.

Laurie

thank you for this. Puts it into perspective. We can do this for 6 months. :)

:mellow: ... I am 7 days out from my surgery date. I have been required to engage in a liquid ( with some green veggies ) diet for 2 weeks prior. I am struggling... I ate dinner with my kids ( 11 and 12 ) on Sunday night and today ( Monday ) I just ate some chicken Strips. I have lost 32 pounds in the 6 months the insurance required. Approval was not difficult' date=' all my testing went fine. But now that I am so close and I am struggling... Do you think its a 'sign' that I am really not a great candidate? Maybe I dont have what it takes to be a successful VSG'r?

My husband is out of town on business and is so supportive. He typically takes the kids and lets me go to bed... and hide from eating. But since I am on my own for this 2 week period I am wondering if ... well... I am a doubter and paranoid as a rule.

I am not looking for approval for my cheat! I just feel FOREIGN in my own skin and am worried that I maybe making a mistake ... again. As nothing I have tried has been something I could stay with for a life time.

:unsure: I see my surgeon on Wednesday. He is a bit of an intense personality, have met him once. He comes highly recommended, several of my friends have used him. Funny to think that I don't want him to be disappointed in me or reject me because I have not lost much on the liquid diet because I am not able to stick to the stringent plan.

Am I feeling a NORMAL stage? Is this typical for someone 7 days out? Is this a 'sign' that the VSG is not for me?[/quote']

I started my pre opp diet TODAY and I already cheated myself sigh. I realize I should have incorporated the Protein shake into my diet slowly for the past month rather than go cold turkey. But I am feeling Similar to you. Like what if this doesn't work for me? What if I only lose 20 pounds? What if I lack the discipline? Sometimes staying off of these boards is helpful. It seems everywhere I look its people complaining about stalls and not losing weight. It makes me feel like Maybe I should go back to request the bypass. All you can do is try to stay positive and know that as long as you are walking in the right direction, you will eventually get there. You are already walking in the right direction