Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone that is about to get this surgery. Please practice eating and drinking slowly. You will be sorry that you didn't. I didn't practice and have paid several times for eating to quick. You really need to practice when you are really hungry and really thirsty, when we tend to drink and eat fast.

Thank you.....for the info...im a fast eater and drinker...im a month away....so my best bet is to start now

It takes a while to get used to. My nutritionist says to eat one meal over 20 minutes. Now that they look so small it sometimes seems hard to do.

Odd that you posted this today because I've been thinking about this subject since yesterday. I'm over the shock of the new stomach size, am dealing with the emotional issues that follow surgery, and getting used to what and how much I can eat. The thing is that when I eat it is extremely hard to change from cramming it down like I always did and switching over to taking very small bites and chewing it slowly. One would think this is one of the easiest things to do but it isn't. You eat a certain way your entire life and then have to change. It's HARD. I suppose if I had been able to eat small portions, chew slowly, and make nutrition my main goal in eating then I wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place?? So now here I am with 15% of my stomach remaining and I WILL be learning to do these things or I'll feel bad. Isn't that some sh*t?

That is fabulous advice & I woke up thinking about that this morning, as I was chugging down a half bottle of water! I always have Water at my bedside because I wake up thirsty. So I gulped down 8 oz (about half the bottle) in just a few seconds it seems & then I started thinking about what I'd do after being sleeved! I hope I remember to start this evening at dinner to take tiny bites & chew, chew, chew! The only up side to that now would be I'd get full faster & would (hopefully) eat less!

I'm 4 months out and I can guzzle liquids, but still can only eat a small amount of food. I find this perfect. I'm soooo happy.

It only took me once to learn my lesson about slow eating. I had so many complications associated with the band that I fear my sleeve and refuse to go against its demands. It's a mind set, but it works for me

Good post Matt

Odd that you posted this today because I've been thinking about this subject since yesterday. I'm over the shock of the new stomach size' date=' am dealing with the emotional issues that follow surgery, and getting used to what and how much I can eat. The thing is that when I eat it is extremely hard to change from cramming it down like I always did and switching over to taking very small bites and chewing it slowly. One would think this is one of the easiest things to do but it isn't. You eat a certain way your entire life and then have to change. It's HARD. I suppose if I had been able to eat small portions, chew slowly, and make nutrition my main goal in eating then I wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place?? So now here I am with 15% of my stomach remaining and I WILL be learning to do these things or I'll feel bad. Isn't that some sh*t?[/quote']

I'm in the same boat. If I wasn't cramming food down when it didn't fit I wouldn't be where I am today.

Try to use some smaller dishes too to help out. It will help make your portions look less tiny. I'm probably eating a bit quicker than I should, but it's definitely way slower than it used to be. I was borrowing my nephew's baby spoons & while they helped "train" me a bit on bite size I'm pretty much good with a normal teaspoon now.

I practice the slow eating and sipping prior to surgery, but it still wasn't enough to slow me down afterwards. I find I have to focus my attention on eating to be able to slow down. If I'm doing something else also, I forget and find myself taking too big of a bite or swallowing without chewing thoroughly. thank goodness for papaya enzyme.

What is Papaya Enzyme?

GREAT advice. I tried SO HARD to practice this presleeve but it was SO HARD. Post sleeve, it was a lot easier since you got some negative reinforcement if you didn't (though I have never had a problem with liquid thankfully-- at five weeks I can guzzle about 2/3 of a cup without stopping)

With my food, I am getting a LOT better at chewing, but I struggle with waiting between bites, etc.. but I'm a work in progress.. It's hard to un-do 40+ years of bad habits!

My dietician had me practicing the slow eating, tiny bites, chew, chew, chew during my 6 months of medical diet. I REALLY have to focus on it, and I'm probably still quicker than I should be, but I think I have the hang of it well enough that after surgery, when I get the reminders from my sleeve, I should be able to get there without too much effort.

Well, I tried at dinner tonight but **big fail**. :( As my husband said, "there's always tomorrow." I think I will write a note & put it at my place setting to remind me. It's easy to forget & I certainly don't want to forget post sleeve! :o

I chew every bite till it's liquified. that's the only way I slow down. I also need to time myself between bites. I literally look at the time and wait at least a minute. I am five weeks out and managed an egg and 3/4 of string cheese for dinner tonight. my head wanted the last bite of string cheese but the burping started and that's my signal to stop.

My nut gave me a tip to put a timer for 20 mins on the table to watch. It has helped me even though it feels like an eternity!