Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you throw up? post op? or after you were sleeved?

Hey All I know this is a funny question, but did you throw up just after surgery during recovery or after you got sleeved? Did it happen often? If not , what did you experience in the way of nausea? I know it sounds funny, but I am a major Puke-a-phobe. I haven't puked since I was 7 and Im now 27..Due to a very very bad case when I was 7, even the slightest amount of nausea gives me anxiety attacks and I often end up drugging myself with Gravol(Anti-Nausiant) So I am just wondering what its going to be like, or what should I expect..because i get anxious just thinking about being post op and recovering. I hate hospitals! :wacko:

Hey All I know this is a funny question' date=' but did you throw up just after surgery during recovery or after you got sleeved? Did it happen often? If not , what did you experience in the way of nausea? I know it sounds funny, but I am a major Puke-a-phobe. I haven't puked since I was 7 and Im now 27..Due to a very very bad case when I was 7, even the slightest amount of nausea gives me anxiety attacks and I often end up drugging myself with Gravol(Anti-Nausiant) So I am just wondering what its going to be like, or what should I expect..because i get anxious just thinking about being post op and recovering. I hate hospitals! :wacko:[/quote']

SOme people have nausea Heather, but a good doctor will prescribe an anti nausea med for you to help with that. I was given one without asking as it's part of my docs normal routine. If your doc does not do this ask for one! I took it for about a week I think but I was actually very very sick (complications) so that kind of overruled the normal recovery routine. I will say this...your doctor probably prefers you NOT puke :) It causes spasms within the digestive track which can cause issues with your staple line. After my second surgery I was told to be very very conservative about advancing my diet and sticking to measurements carefully so that I never put myself in a position that might induce nausea or vomiting because it could dislodge my claw (holding the leak together) or worse, tear more of my damaged tissues.

As sick as I was, I think I threw up maybe once prior to my second surgery and that was just a few mins before I was put in an ambulance. Since then, and after all healing has been complete, I've only done it twice maybe in six months. Once was when I had a Protein bar...too much sugar for me and I now avoid them like the plague, and the second time was after a lunch out, but both were due to another complication I have had due to the first issue (my stomach is too small and produces too much acid and I was trying to push my volume....per docs orders...to half a cup of food). You likely won't have this issue so if you really listen to your body, stick to the rules and watch your portions carefully....you probably won't experience it at all hun. But get the meds and take them the first couple of weeks or so just in case.

Hey All I know this is a funny question' date=' but did you throw up just after surgery during recovery or after you got sleeved? Did it happen often? If not , what did you experience in the way of nausea? I know it sounds funny, but I am a major Puke-a-phobe. I haven't puked since I was 7 and Im now 27..Due to a very very bad case when I was 7, even the slightest amount of nausea gives me anxiety attacks and I often end up drugging myself with Gravol(Anti-Nausiant) So I am just wondering what its going to be like, or what should I expect..because i get anxious just thinking about being post op and recovering. I hate hospitals! :wacko:[/quote']

Everyone reacts different to surgery. No ones experience is the same. I am a week out from surgery and was so scared that this first week was going to be awful. I thought I was going to have awful gas pain for days, not be able to hold anything down. Not the case I had gas pains on day two. But if I kept meds in me I was ok. Day three I felt great no meds needed. And since then my only issues have been my lack of energy due to the liquid diet. Makes it hard to walk. Which helps get rid of the gas that causes the pain. I didn't throw up and the only felt nauseous a few times while trying to sip chicken broth. I was on a 4 week pre-opt liquid diet and lived on chicken broth and now just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

However one of my best friends was sleeved about a year ago and really struggled with vomiting and still has some problems with it even a year out. Like I said everyone is different. You won't know how you will react until you experience it yourself.

Sent from my KFOT using VST

On Tues ill be 3 weeks post op and haven't thrown up yet! Knock wood! I was pretty nauseous when I came home from the hospital 3 days post op. I wasn't horrible but whenever I would take the pain pill I would get nauseous. My doc usually prescribes liquid pain meds but I could never in all my life get down liquid pain meds. So he prescribed pills and warned me I might get some nausea. So needless to say I didn't take them often. The only other times I got sick feeling was last week. I don't think I got enough Water and and it was like a heat wave in nj so I think that's why. Overall, after the first week I felt pretty darn good and no throwing up, which was awesome. Good luck to you!

Never puked, never felt nauseous, never had gas pains....I might be a different kind of mutant though. Got up as soon as I was able and started walking, walked up and down the hall dragging my IV and legging pump along. Felt mostly fine, just grogged up from the anesthesia.

I puked so many times in the hospital that I lost count. I was puking because of the pain meds and the anti nausea meds didn't help at all. Once I stopped the pain meds, I stopped puking.

I puked so many times in the hospital that I lost count. I was puking because of the pain meds and the anti nausea meds didn't help at all. Once I stopped the pain meds' date=' I stopped puking.[/quote']

I have the same thing. I react really badly to narcotic pain meds so I refused to take them right after surgery. I would rather deal with the pain than the nausea and dry heaving. Eventually they put me on toradol which was great and didn't make me nauseous.

I threw up when I first woke up after surgery...but it was the stuff they inserted for the leak test....not bad at all...more like my body rejecting that stuff. I'm not quiet 4 months out & never did again. My dr had some anti-nausea cream made that you rub on your wrist...worked great! Only had to use it a couple times though. Good luck.

Not sure if this is helpfful or not (maybe making it easier to know the right decision for you) but I'm 3 1/2 yrs post lapband (slipped, now awaiting a revision to sleeve). I've never thrown up so much in my life. The first 2 1/2 yrs it was daily. This past year, it's weekly. I've gotten so used to it, it's part of my routine. Doesn't even bother me anymore.

My mom and sister are like you, however. They just DON'T throw up. Can't imagine. You're making the right choice in getting the sleeve vs the band - especially if you're paranoid about vomiting.

Marci

I may be different but throwing up for me is different. It's like a verp, with out all the acid. Sometimes I can spit it out. I was scared too, I hate to throw up.

Everyone is vastly different, and that includes surgeons! But, I'm like you and DETEST throwing up and I know that something is seriously wrong if I do it. The nausea and the vomiting were my clues that I'd developed a stricture after a few weeks of doing just fine. So, don't ignore your body. But use your common sense as well.

I did the moment I woke up from getting sleeved but not since

Ill be honest, nausea was one of the worst parts post op for me. That morphine kicked my ass lol. I was nauseous for the first 2 days after surgery, was especially bad the first day but surprisingly I didn't puke. I haven't puked once post op (5 months post op) and I've tested my limits a few times lol and still no puking thankfully. So not everyone has this problem. I read so many people when I was pre op saying how they threw up regularly and that scared the crap out of me but luckily I've had no such problems.

I did vomit a day or two after surgery. But not in the way I used to. It was little spasms, I assume from having a smaller stomach. I was so scared to vomit, cause I thought it would hurt, but it was really almost a non-event. Plus it helped that right after surgery you really aren't able to eat much.

I just had a little nausea on day 3 but the anti-nausea med took it right away. I also got off the morphine as soon as possible which minimized the potential. I was also up walking within a couple of hours which eliminated the gas pain. Most people think its in your intestines and you can "pass it" but it is actually in your chest cavity and has to be absorbed through your cells. Overall, the surgery was a "piece of cake". I'm sure you'll be fine! = )