Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and I am almost finished with my 6m pre-op supervised nutrition program. Today I went to see my Dr. he told me he wanted me to research the sleeve. I had been set on the lapband now I'm not sure. Could you guys please give me some advice :)

I chose the sleeve over lap band for a couple of reasons. I have heard that the band can stretch over time, allowing you to eat more. Also, after talking to my doctor I realized there is a lot more maintenance in the band, having to have saline injected or drawn out of the band as necessary. And then I did not want that port attached to the inside of my abdomen. Good luck with whatever you chose.

I have a lapband. The adjustments never bothered me, it was that I was STILL hungry all the time. No matter what, I would eat and still be hungry because I could only eat very little and my "lower" pouch was still empty.

I originally had it done for 2 reasons my BMI wasn't that high and I liked it was reversible. I never met my goal weight, was ALWAYS hungry even after I ate, but instead of being able to eat I would throw up and slime everything.

I basically turned to soft foods (high calorie crap) and alcohol. I've been uncomfortable for years now and am getting a revision. Finally.

I can't wait to get the lapband out of me. After working in Bariatrics for 6+ years I can honestly say the Sleeve is the best choice out there for me. The lapband works for some but most surgeons want to phase it out.

I had intended to get banded but after research and consulting with the doc, for me, I didn't want to have to maintain the band with fills and such. The port thing gave me the heebee geebees too.

5 weeks out now and am very happy with my sleeve.

Good luck in your decision making, I'm sure you will figure out the best solution for you. :)

I made the choice on a few reasons..

First, my doctor said the band at some point would probably need to be removed.. Another surgery.

Second, I've seen people I know with the band that just ate right through it and while they lost weight they also gained at least half back.

Third, the sleeve was a safer option in my eyes once passed the healing stage there where less complications compared to the other two options. My doc said the band can cause irritation to the stomach where it is wrapped, and RNY has dumping syndrome, and can cause issues with absorption of needed Vitamins.

There where other reasons (didn't really want something implanted it me) but I am very happy with the choice to get the sleeve, and I can't wait to hit my goals and have a happy and healthy life once again. No matter what your choice, I wish the same for you :)

Hi, I chose the sleeve for the following reasons:

• didn't have to worry about doctor's visits for band adjustment
  • don't have to worry about it slipping or eroding
  • removed 85% of the stomach which reduces the grehlin (hunger) hormone by 75%
  • don't have to worry about revision surgery (as I've read on this site that many have had)

Good luck with your decision. Try searching the lapband on this site to get more info people's experience with it.

When I first started thinking about WLS, I was only considering the band. I felt that it was the least invasive surgery in itself and I was very scared of the non-reversability of the sleeve and bypass. The only surgeon at my hospital where I would have the surgery left, and the sleeve and bypass were the only things that were offered. After 1 year I felt the urgency to undergo a WLS because I want to start a family soon and want to be as healthy as possible for my first pregnancy. My weight management doctor told me from the beginning she thought the sleeve was the best choice for me given my BMI at that time (41) because of the amount I had to lose as well as the least amount of complications. I also realized that no matter what WLS I had, I needed to make a committment to a lifestyle change FOREVER and the band would not provide that for me. The "not going back" aspect of the sleeve sort of makes me feel more accountable for this decision. I also have a very busy work schedule that is only going to worsen starting this summer and I did not think it would be feasible for me to do all the post-op fills / appointments required of the band anyhow. My weight management doctor also said that the sleeve and bypass have shown to be better tolerated in patients who go on to get pregnant. Also again with grehlin - a hormone that promotes hunger is likely to be markedly reduced in sleeve patients, and many report not having the same cravings / hunger urges prior to surgery.

Good luck with your choice!

I had lapband for four years. Was revised 18 days ago to the sleeve. My band was a pain. I threw up a lot. I constaly needed fills and unfills. I did get to goal, but it was very unhealthy. My port bugged me the entire time too. Being only 18 days out I like being sleeved way more. No port, no fills or unfills. No puking. Its awesome

Thank you all so much for the input & advice. I am noticing a trend, seem like most sleeve pt have tried the band and converted to the sleeve. This is one of the biggest decisions of my life and I just want to be healthy so I can enjoy more activities with my family. I am curios is to the amount of recovery time? The sleeve seems like a greater invasive surgery.

Thank you all so much for the input & advice. I am noticing a trend' date=' seem like most sleeve pt have tried the band and converted to the sleeve. This is one of the biggest decisions of my life and I just want to be healthy so I can enjoy more activities with my family. I am curios is to the amount of recovery time? The sleeve seems like a greater invasive surgery.[/quote']

Recovery from surgery goes in stages.

Initial recovery, meaning the amount of time till you feel reasonably healthy and comfortably live your daily life. Anywhere from 3days to 2weeks. I personally felt fine immediately.

Stomach fully healed, this is about the 6week mark. This is usually when all exercise restrictions are lifted. There will still be a fairly dramatically reduced capacity at this time due to some lingering internal swelling.

Complete recovery, you'll reach your max stomach capacity somewhere between 6-12 months.

Yes yes yes Sleeve over band any day. My sister got the band 3yrs ago. It slipped last month and almost killed her ICU for a week, tubed in mouth and nose , kidneys failed and dialysis for 2 wks. Didnt get to eat for 2 1/2 weeks she developed ulcers from the damage the band did to her stomach.. Just bad all bad. She spent all off March in the hospital. She has recovered but is still pretty weak. I was sleeved 12/11/12 and I couldn't be happier! !!

My mother in law and father in law both got the band. They never lost more then 20-30lbs and they are constantly puking. They also say that the "good foods" are the ones that often get stuck while the crappy, unhealthy stuff slides right down.

I have a lapband. Installed in 2008. The most weight I lost was 45 lbs and have now regained 25 lbs of that. Getting to your sweet spot in the lapband is VERY hard. Out of the twenty girls I have as lapband friends. Only two lost ALL their weight and the one woman has had so much plastic surgery (including two bodylifts and two breast lift redos), it is hard to know if it was the band or the $70k in surgery she has had.

After five years you must decide if you are going to update your band or remove it. I was told by my Fill dr that by Y5 there is a higher incidence of erosion.

I have never had a slip, but I did have to do a complete unfill once because my pouch pooched. I immediately regained 8 lbs over the 8 weeks waiting to get refilled. such a headache. I have been as tight as a 3.9 in a 4.0cc band....but survived on mostly liquids. Currently I am a 3.3cc in a 4.0 band and can literally eat anything but the good Proteins (fish, chicken, red meat). that is my issue with the band, the good things I struggle with (salad, brocolli, meats), while all the crap (chips, ice cream, etc) provides no nutritional value, but it goes right down. the only thing the band has been good for is stopping Pasta and white breads.

I feel like getting the "perfect" fill is like speaking to a nuclear scientist, it really is a complicated, long-drawn out process to get there.

1. Be sure you have a good fill Dr close by (I pay $375 per fill out of pocket and my Dr is 1 hour away with no traffic). Otherwise you will get frustrated very quickly

2. Ask yourself, can you afford regular fills out of pocket.

3. Realize that within two years, the band may give you Metabolic Failure (what my Dr says has happened) and you will stop losing entirely (unless you have $70k to spend on PS)4.

4. The constant PB'ing (as close to throwing up as you can get without throwing up), which will then cause swelling and can then cause your band to slip. Such a headache. Then you have to unfill and wait.

My fill Dr is now telling me that I must 'update' my band this year. After seeing two of my friends successfully revise from lapband to sleeve, it is also what I have decided to do. I have now decided to get a sleeve revision next month. My mother died of a heart attack at 63 and my aunt just had a heart attack two years ago...all because of their weight. I refuse to go down that path. I choose to win this battle. I am too young to worry about my health on a weekly basis.

OH...and my last frustration with the band?

I spent almost $6,000 on private personal training 4-5x per week over a year, thinking it would help INSTEAD of relying on plastic surgery. The lowest BMI I got to was 29%

If the band fails, it fails, you will then be stuck until you are forced to do something else.

Thank you for the information! I had considered lapband because two of my friends had it preformed and have done very well, but after speaking with one of them today, he said that if the sleeve had been offered to him years ago, then he would have chosen the sleeve, that way he could consume normal food without complications. I think I have made my decision to go with the sleeve.