Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wish they had gastric bypass instead of sleeve?

After 2 years, I'm finally approved for surgery on April16, 2013. I'm excited and know surgery is the correct option for me, but I'm second guessing my decision on the sleeve. Does anyone regret they didn't get gastric bypass? I choose the sleeve for all the obvious reasons, but now wonder if bypass has better long term success over sleeve. Please share your thoughts and opinions.

What is making you second guess it?

How much weight are you looking to lose?

What are the pros and cons of each procedure to you?

I personally do not believe RNY has better long term results. That is my experience from watching my friends.

I can only speak to what I know, but my father had a bypass 15 years ago, and despite losing 200lbs, he has now regained all but about 40 of it. The only other person I know personally with a bypass lost 100 to regain 75, 5 years later. That was part of my decision for sleeve over bypass for my revision. Regain is possible with any surgery but sleeve just feels right for me.

No Way!

The sleeve is the hands down winner.

I have also been thinking about the procedure the doctor recommended me and if its the right move! He has recommended the staged duodenal switch. I may be over thinking this and I know my doctor is great at what he does but I'm wondering if just getting the full switch done.. Getting the sleeve then a year in getting the DS seems rough. I do have a BMI OF 54! I am 180 pounds over weight!

I need to loose 80-100 pounds. I evaluated all the pros and cons and decided on the sleeve. My main concern is regaining weight. I thought there might be more success with RNY...... The most important factor to maintaining weight loss will be attitude and lifestyle changes. Thanks for all the comments.

I was sleeved in december so I'm 4 months post op tomorrow. I too went back and forth and for me the deciding factor was my age and the fact that my guts wouldn't be rearranged.

I just turned 33 and to say that I will never eat a carb or sugar again I think is just not realistic. So i picked the one that made most sense to me. I can still eat what I want, I make good choices 99.9 percent of the time and when I want I can still treat myself. So far it's working great and I'm down 82lbs.

I do fear regain partial I think bc I've never been thin or at a healthy weight. I think it's natural to worry about that. But I do feel that with any of these surgeries it still is only a tool and we have to make good choices.

No way. I love my sleeve. I had it 4 1/2 years ago,lost 105 pounds and have kept it off. I have watched people who have had Bypass surgery gain it back. I wish you

Great success in what ever your choice is.

Thanks so much for all the comments. I'm sticking with my instincts and knowledge and going with the sleeve. Surgery is Tursday and I'm super excited.

I went in seeking bypass and my surgeon recommended this. His big points were; my age (I'm 32), lack of co morbidities (I do have sleep apnea but he was talking about diabetes) and my difficulties with taking long term anything (vitamins in this case)

He said if I were to get the sleeve now, and of course be successful that let's say 20-30-40 years down the road I hit a bump in life that revision to bypass is pretty easy, but if I get bypass and then hit a bump then I would have a revision to a band? He thought the sleeve would be good because it still gives me the power to control my weight better, without the worry of nutritional issues for now. I hope to not have to revise, but its nice to know that there is another option. I do realize you do take Vitamins with the sleeve but not like a bypass patient.

meh, this is a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" type of situation for me.

You probably will lose more weight with an RNY, but you are also probably more likely to experience any number of complications at a greater rate as well.

Thanks macy6 I didn't think of it in that way!! I think I'll go with the sleeve then if I get out in that type of situation I can have the DS... My doc does have a good ideal then!! He calls it the staged DS. If all goes well I won't need the DS!! Thanks again