Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

There have been a couple people on the forum who were denied because of psych evals.

I'm not a lurker and I don't regret my surgery. But as a previous poster mentioned' date=' I do feel very strongly that the psych evals are (in some cases) glossed over and it leaves people completely unprepared for what to expect after the surgery takes place.

While my surgeon did an excellent job explaining the technical details to me regarding the surgery, neither he nor anyone in his office did a very good job addressing the mental/emotional aspects of the process. If I hadn't already been seeing a psychologist to address my food addiction, etc. there is no way the post-op period and complications wouldn't have sent me into a tailspin. I would have ended up depressed and completely regretting my decision, no doubt about it. Granted, I am one person and this is simply MY opinion.

If one is mentally unprepared to make the changes necessary, then the physical aspects are going to seem even more insurmountable. Then one person posts about it and someone else is feeling the same way, then before long you have a forum full of individuals that seem to be the vast majority. Again, perhaps had they had more than one or two meetings with a psychologist or whomever cleared them.

The complications I'm still experiencing at six months post-op are beyond frustrating. Living on anti-nausea meds and STILL not being able to eat certain foods truly sucks. BUT I knew the risks going in. I made the decision to either LIVE with (possible) complications from this surgery or DIE because I was horribly FAT. I chose to live with the complications. Given the choice, I'd still do it all again.[/quote']

Thanking you for seconding am opinion that I have said on many threads and in some cases got beat up for saying. I too went through various sessions with a therapist to prepare for my surgery and to deal with the changes in my foodie lifestyle. I had 18 months of fighting with my insurance company before I was finally approved and researched as watched the procedure on videos from various surgeons on YouTube, so I knew what I was getting into.

I don't think a one hour session for the psych clearance is nearly enough and think the minimum should be at least 4-6 sessions or as many sessions as the individual is required to have with their nutritionist. I got tired of people whining about regrets because they could not eat unhealthy foods in large quantities. Maybe a few more sessions with a professional would have caught that, or maybe the psychologist didn't care enough. I don't have the answer to that. Sorry to hear you had complications, but hope all is better now,

I misinterpreted myself when I said I was regreting this surgery. What Im regretting is the complications I have had so far. Kidney stones to be exact, I found out on last wednesday they are from to much protien and Calcium. I have to cut back on the animal protien and my calcium suppliments. As for this surgery yes I would do it again with all the complications that have come with it so far.

I misinterpreted myself when I said I was regreting this surgery. What Im regretting is the complications I have had so far. Kidney stones to be exact' date=' I found out on last wednesday they are from to much protien and Calcium. I have to cut back on the animal protien and my calcium suppliments. As for this surgery yes I would do it again with all the complications that have come with it so far.[/quote']

:( do you have anymore to pass?

It is odd to see regrets without complications. I accept the fact that some do regret it, but I do find it hard to understand. I mean, it's kind of obvious why sleeved people with complication may regret it, but why others?

I've noticed this too. I would guess one person mentions and more people come out of the woodwork? I can't imagine ever regretting this... I'm five and a half months out, and I think the only thing that could make me regret this is if I had a late side-effect of my stomach removing itself out my nose, or something painful and unnecessary and impossible like that... hrm...

That sounds like a fun game- what COULD make me regret this! :-D heh heh...

It is odd to see regrets without complications. I accept the fact that some do regret it' date=' but I do find it hard to understand. I mean, it's kind of obvious why sleeved people with complication may regret it, but why others?[/quote']

It seems that a few are upset because they really loved food and can no longer eat like the used too therefore socializing and such are no fun anymore if you can't eat??

I don't know perhaps that new procedure that pumps the **** out after you eat it would of been better suited for them? :P

Or binge and purge?? Just joking guys!! I've been sniffing my Protein Shakes again and it's got me loopy :D

:( do you have anymore to pass?

Yes I have two more. So far they are staying in place and not moving around. I am doing great right now. How are you doing? I hope everything is going well. I try and read everything you post so I can keep up with you.lol. Even though I dont post alot I do want you to know that you are my hero on here. You post exactly the same thoughts and feelings that I and many others have. I want to say thank you for giving me hope knowing there are people out here just like me.

Yes I have two more. So far they are staying in place and not moving around. I am doing great right now. How are you doing? I hope everything is going well. I try and read everything you post so I can keep up with you.lol. Even though I dont post alot I do want you to know that you are my hero on here. You post exactly the same thoughts and feelings that I and many others have. I want to say thank you for giving me hope knowing there are people out here just like me.

Well I hope they go away! I'm doing pretty good..

You know ups and downs, but this is life right?

I still have my food battles ( as was addressed in "I just threw a napkin" thread)

But that's momentary and I come here to rant and it all gets better :)

Leeann you give me hope too! I am so glad you changed your mind and came back that day.. I didn't really know you then but I knew I would like you, and I was right!

Thanking you for seconding am opinion that I have said on many threads and in some cases got beat up for saying. I too went through various sessions with a therapist to prepare for my surgery and to deal with the changes in my foodie lifestyle. I had 18 months of fighting with my insurance company before I was finally approved and researched as watched the procedure on videos from various surgeons on YouTube, so I knew what I was getting into.

I don't think a one hour session for the psych clearance is nearly enough and think the minimum should be at least 4-6 sessions or as many sessions as the individual is required to have with their nutritionist. I got tired of people whining about regrets because they could not eat unhealthy foods in large quantities. Maybe a few more sessions with a professional would have caught that, or maybe the psychologist didn't care enough. I don't have the answer to that. Sorry to hear you had complications, but hope all is better now,

I hope you didn't think I was beating you up, buplee - you know I don't agree with you about everyone needing multiple sessions, but I do respect your opinion and your right to have it. I think your reasoning is sound, I just think you're applying it to a broader scope than truly necessary.

It's major surgery and life altering....not something to be taken lightly. Some days....well...suck. Most days are good. There is pain, staples, and incisions that do not heal rapidly and you change gross bandages 2-3 times a day. Yes, you will get queasy and perhaps lose your lunch. Yes, your body will adjust, heal and adapt. But eventually, you begin to feel better and you notice that your energy is returning. And you notice that your clothes are not tight and you can walk up stairs easier. Then you accept that life may never be the way it was....you mourn what was and move on to what you had hoped for all along. It's call a life changing event. So mourn, shed a few tears, get angry, and use the stages of grief to arrive at a better place....what you were aiming for all along. Never give up or wish for what can never be again....wishing to eat a whole pizza after a sleeve is just waited time and emotion....think about what is good, positive, and possible.

I misinterpreted myself when I said I was regreting this surgery. What Im regretting is the complications I have had so far. Kidney stones to be exact, I found out on last wednesday they are from to much protien and Calcium. I have to cut back on the animal protien and my calcium suppliments. As for this surgery yes I would do it again with all the complications that have come with it so far.

I've had kidney stones since surgery also (mine broke up on their own without needing surgical intervention, thankfully). My RD and PA told me the most important things were to stay very, very well hydrated--so that we output at least 64 oz of urine a day, which means you need to drink a lot more than that--and to follow a low oxalate diet. Protein itself generally is not the issue.

I was a low BMI patient, and I have no regrets. I don't see any reason I should have waited until my BMI was higher to have the surgery. I gained forty+ pounds in a year and couldn't lose it again two years later. I was rapidly sliding towards morbid obesity... So why wait until I got there?

My feet were beginning to hurt terribly when I walked, I couldn't cross my legs, I had trouble wiping, even. I thought all the time about food, or weight loss, to the point where I felt imprisoned by my weight issues.

I chose the best surgeon I could find even though it cost me more out of pocket. When I made the decision to do the surgery, I did a week long pre-op diet to shrink my liver even though I didn't have to, because the rationale made sense to me. I stuck to post-op plan, and so far it's been life changing. I feel like I'm free from some terrible prison. I can't eat what I used to, and the vast majority of the time, I don't want to. I love the absence of desire for food. My moments of depression are less severe because I don't compound them by turning to food...

I felt like I was at the end of my rope. I would have loved to achieve this loss through diet and exercise, but after failing so many times, you just can't do it yet again-- not when failure seems certain.

I don't think it's an influx of low BMI patients who are causing a surge in those regretting the surgery. I think either you are ready for an extreme, drastic change in lifestyle or you are not. This is an extreme change; it modifies all social contact, not having food to gorge on, not being able to drink, but I can live with it because my issues surrounding my weight have meant I've really limited my social contact over the years. My life was intolerable. I couldn't stand it the way it was before. I feel like I finally have an opportunity to rediscover the world I was avoiding for so long. I feel liberated.

And just as a btw: I was self-pay Mexico. I told no one. I did not loop in my PCP.