Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scolded by an internist.

I had my 4 month follow up with the endocrinologist that works with my surgeon. She was angry that I had only lost 25 pounds since my December surgery. She even went so far as to ask me how much weight I had gained! She had never heard of anyone losing so slowly. Then she asked me how much exercise I am getting every day. When I said very little, she went into a lecture about how many people would have done anything to get the surgery and that maybe it was a wrong decision to authorize the surgery for me at this time. She reminded me that I have to put some effort into losing weight and not to let the surgery do it all for me. When I reminded her that I have a back injury that limits my walking to less than a block, and I am restricted to exercise in the pool (I am on a wait list for back fusion), she said that wasn't good enough. So I went to the pool to do my best to exercise and I have been on heavy pain meds for 3 days. So maybe when I go back to see her in September I need to lie about my exercise? I don't like that idea, but I'll be darned if I am scolded again.

Shell! That is terrible! What a cow! You are doing an amazing job with the limited exercise you are able to do!

25 pounds in just over two months is excellent! Please don't let her take that from you. You are doing the best you can, and when more weight starts coming off it will be that much easier for you to do more.

Keep up the great work!

Sheena :-)

Thanks Sheena,

She even said that when I loose the weight my back will be fine. Really? I have 3 discs that disappeared and a vertebra that has slipped forward. Fewer pounds is not going to replace the discs or re-position the bones. She is so full of her self.

How are you doing?

I highly doubt your back will be 'fine' after you lose the weight. It may feel a bit better, but without surgery it won't be 'fine'.

Im doing okay. I'm scared to meet Dr Malik... Only because I don't want to wait 5+ more months before I get surgery (can we say impatient much?) Plus I just don't want to be traveling back and forth in the winter time. It freaks me out a bit.

I'm excited for next week though! A road trip with my hubby is always a good time! I'm excited to be a tourist! Are we still on for coffee?

Talk about crossing the line.......Sounds like she needs to find a new Endocrinologist because the one she has seems to have a problem focusing on her scope of practice instead of being a bariatrition or an orthopaedist for that matter.............you're a grown up, you should not be made to feel you have to lie about you exercise in order to Not get scolded by your doctor, if anything she should try to help you find the help you need to find the right exercise regimine for your condition; the doctor I work for would never talk to his patients like that, let it be an immediate life and death situation, maybe so.......I say tell her bye..but thats just me????

Sent from my iPad using VST

I highly doubt your back will be 'fine' after you lose the weight. It may feel a bit better, but without surgery it won't be 'fine'.

Im doing okay. I'm scared to meet Dr Malik... Only because I don't want to wait 5+ more months before I get surgery (can we say impatient much?) Plus I just don't want to be traveling back and forth in the winter time. It freaks me out a bit.

I'm excited for next week though! A road trip with my hubby is always a good time! I'm excited to be a tourist! Are we still on for coffee?

Dr. Malik is not scarey. He is really nice, in my opinion :P coffee next week - absolutely. I am thinking that I could probably meet you sooner than 3 pm too. Your appointment is 1pm so I will meet you at Dr. Malik's office. From there we can go for coffee somewhere. I hope you have a safe trip down.

Shell

Wow. This is someone I would not be seeing again, and I would be telling the surgeon's office why I would not. I suppose I get that "tough love" might be needed if someone is legitimately being a lazy butt, but come on, if you are physically disabled, then back the heck off! And hey, at least you ARE losing! You'll probably see improvement in your mobility as your weight comes down, at least to the point that you may be able to get more exercise done in the pool. Meanwhile, heck no I wouldn't lie about your exercise! Celebrate the positives, and emphasize the progress you're making!

I think your doctor may be giving you a dose of tough love. I think your doctor may be expecting more extreme results. Unfortunately not everyone has immediate drastic results. All you can do is give 100% effort. Try writing a food and exercise diary and show her. She prob just wants to make sure that your putting forth your best effort and not making excuses. Can you ride a recumbent bike, or do the elliptical? Good luck and please don't be discouraged.

Do you have to deal with this person? She sounds like a wanker.

Do you have to deal with this person? She sounds like a wanker.

Short answer is Yes. She is the internist that the surgeon works with. I have a command performance with her in September.

I dony mean to be crass but tell her to "kiss you slow to slimming ass" how dare she you are a grown woman and dr are a dime a dozen and if she cannot give you the respect deserve your can take your care elsewhere ... Whats she gonna do take the surgery back... Uuughhh

Seriously, call and talk to the doctor's office and express your displeasure. This can't be fixed if you don't make it known. And if they won't handle it the way it should be, then you should take your business elsewhere. That's not acceptable. You are ultimately a paying customer, and deserve to be treated with respect. This internist was disrespectful to the nth degree and should not be seeing patients with sensitive issues if she cannot handle things with a reasonable amount of decorum and tact.

Talk to your surgeon about her treatment of you. You're not obligated to stay with them if you're being treated poorly.

Is she an internist or an endocrinologist or both? Or were there two doctors involved? Sorry, I know the confusion is on my end...just trying to understand. How is your food going? Are you getting in plenty of Protein and Water?