Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I had lost 1.5 this week, and then disaster struck! That's right, it's TOM! I hate this so bad! So my final for this week was that I stayed the same. Again.

Also, I'm nearly 100% sure that Ihave bronchitis. :thumbup: I had chronic bronchitis for years, but have had no problems for the last 2 years. I attribute that to getting my flu shots :eek: Unfortunately this is also my first year working at an elementary school so I have been catching EVERYTHING! :tongue: The kids love me, and when kids love you they like to give hugs. I used to like hugs,:thumbup: and now I imagine a fighter plane with a flu or cold inside that is doing a kamakazi thing and coming straight for me. :thumbup: It sucks. I am coughing up chunks of green crap and my throat is raw. DH slept on the couch because I was keeping him awake with my coughing. AAARRRGGGHH!!!

Dee, you look fantastic! And I loooove your new glasses. Very hip and very flattering. I need to get some new glasses. I need trifocals. Oh dear.

wow, you look so good.

Thanks Mini! I wanted some "hot for teacher" glasses! I need bifocals, but I've tried them twice and just can't do them! I have to lift my glasses or look above them to read. I don't need them for close up work, but I do for far away vision. With them, I can't do close up work! It sucks when I'm trying to place an IV in one of teeny babes.

Well my piercing is plastic due to surgical steel not healing that great in me.. I understand why most of the pericing i have had to come out..and if it was the tounge i would have taken that out too..but it was an upper lip by the cheek, which i put tape over and was way out of the way of having the tube put down my throat.

basically I am just a pain in the ass that didnt want it to go shut before i could go back down to portland to get it replaced (which it would have..) also it costs money to have it replaced and I already missed 30 hrs of work due to this kidneystone problem..

Man port pain is nothing compaired to this pain.. I feel like absolute crap.. I want to rip my kidney out and sell it on the black market..Dee your still pretty hip to even know about the piercings under the lip on the side.. Many many guys/girls are getting those too..facial piercings aren't for everyone though!.. Also your picture looks fantastic! you've lost sooo much weight.. how much have you lost total? Congrats!

I think with since it's plastic and taping over your piercing it would have been fine. Sometimes medical professionals have these rules and they get stuck on the rules and don't learn to think outside the box. I call it, "they don't make sense" I hate working with nurses and doctors who don't make sense! They do things, i.e. labs, procedures, tests, only because that is what they were taught. Everyone doesn't always fit into a nice neat little box and every one shouldn't be treated the same. Insurance companies are that way too.

thanks! I've now lost 133lbs. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome so I tend to lose slower. I have had to work very hard for every one of those lbs. I swim laps everyday for an hour and then in the morning I ride my bike from home. 6 days a week normally, but when I hit the last plateau, I pushed it to 7. I watch what I eat and do a lot of low carb options. That's not to say I don't eat bad things occasionally, but for the most part, I follow the rules. I get about 80grams of Protein a day including one Protein Drink in the very early morning before I ride my bike. I log all of my food in on www.fitday.com. I know others have lost more in a shorter period of time, but having PCOS, I knew it would be slower and a struggle. I'm okay with that. I've got a lot to lose and I didn't gain it overnight. I also had kept my band very loose! Until my fill in December I had never known a stuck episode. I had only a few small fills. I forced myself to stop without the aide of the band because I wanted to learn how to live a new lifestyle. I called it my 20/80 plan. 20% band and 80% Dee. Tom says it should be the other way around. So I got a more aggressive fill and followed the Carb cycling diet I made up in my head and I broke my last plateau.

Got it. I'm not that great at math I confess but after playing with my calculator I finally got it. Thanks Dee.

Your glasses look great. I just saw your first photo, you carry your weight in that photo like I do/did. Dee, you look great! You are doing so well. Keep it going.

Thanks Patty! When I consulted with the plastics guy, he told me that people who carry their weight the way we do usually look the best after losing massive amounts of weight and having body lifts. I gain weight everywhere! Not just in one place. My girls are smaller, my butt is smaller and my waist is smaller by 12 inches! The doctor's only concern for my weight is my thighs. My weight is situated not laterally, but medially. Laterally is easier to lift, medially is not. And I have a lot of weight over my knees. As my face gets smaller, I'm getting that turkey gobbler chin that is quite irritating! But the previous triple chin was worse!!!

I had lost 1.5 this week, and then disaster struck! That's right, it's TOM! I hate this so bad! So my final for this week was that I stayed the same. Again.

Also, I'm nearly 100% sure that Ihave bronchitis. :thumbup: I had chronic bronchitis for years, but have had no problems for the last 2 years. I attribute that to getting my flu shots :eek: Unfortunately this is also my first year working at an elementary school so I have been catching EVERYTHING! :tongue: The kids love me, and when kids love you they like to give hugs. I used to like hugs,:thumbup: and now I imagine a fighter plane with a flu or cold inside that is doing a kamakazi thing and coming straight for me. :thumbup: It sucks. I am coughing up chunks of green crap and my throat is raw. DH slept on the couch because I was keeping him awake with my coughing. AAARRRGGGHH!!!

Oh Marie!

I hate being sick! I'm sure it's the elementary school!

When I started working in the Ped's office, I was sick constantly. Then I got my immunity and I wasn't sick anymore. You'll get immune to all those fighter planes carried the germs and then you can fight them off!

I just started working a second job in a huge Ped's office. I'm doing Telephone Triage. I did it years ago and loved it. When I returned to my old job in the NICU after hating the Research Center job, my only option was part time nights. I gladly accepted part time nights, however, I was short one shift to making my monthly budget. So I'll be working two jobs now. I'm thankful.

TOM always makes me gain! I hate when that happens! Just think tho, after it's gone you'll drop that 1.5 again and probably more!

Oh Marie!

I hate being sick! I'm sure it's the elementary school!

When I started working in the Ped's office, I was sick constantly. Then I got my immunity and I wasn't sick anymore. You'll get immune to all those fighter planes carried the germs and then you can fight them off!

I just started working a second job in a huge Ped's office. I'm doing Telephone Triage. I did it years ago and loved it. When I returned to my old job in the NICU after hating the Research Center job, my only option was part time nights. I gladly accepted part time nights, however, I was short one shift to making my monthly budget. So I'll be working two jobs now. I'm thankful.

TOM always makes me gain! I hate when that happens! Just think tho, after it's gone you'll drop that 1.5 again and probably more!

I hope that I lose it quick right after. I am so tight right now that Water hurts going down. I guess I'd better not get a fill this month or when my next TOM hits I won't be able to get anything down.

It sounds like so much fun to work in a NICU! It must be sad sometimes though too. I am glad that you have enough work to make your budget now. With the job market the way it is, that is a real blessing. What is telephone triage?

I hope that I lose it quick right after. I am so tight right now that Water hurts going down. I guess I'd better not get a fill this month or when my next TOM hits I won't be able to get anything down.

It sounds like so much fun to work in a NICU! It must be sad sometimes though too. I am glad that you have enough work to make your budget now. With the job market the way it is, that is a real blessing. What is telephone triage?

The NICU is a wonderful place to work. When I was in nursing school, I knew I wanted to be there. I went and talked to the manager personally. I was obese and young and working at a bank - while having several bachelor degrees in other things. She took a chance on me and gave me a Nurse Tech job. I hated being a Nurse Tech! It was "do this, do that" "no don't do that, do that" Nurses can be a pain in the butt! But I stuck it out and when I graduated they offered me an RN position. I've been in love with those preemies ever since! I love cuddling with them, talking to them and watching their little eyes focus on my face. It's just dreamy!

Being a Telephone Triage nurse, I'll take all the parent calls coming in to the office. If the child is sick they will call to get advice or an appt. Sometimes they need reassurance that they can handle something at home and don't have to bring their child in. Other times, they might need to get to the ER immediately. It's a medical support line.

The NICU is a wonderful place to work. When I was in nursing school, I knew I wanted to be there. I went and talked to the manager personally. I was obese and young and working at a bank - while having several bachelor degrees in other things. She took a chance on me and gave me a Nurse Tech job. I hated being a Nurse Tech! It was "do this, do that" "no don't do that, do that" Nurses can be a pain in the butt! But I stuck it out and when I graduated they offered me an RN position. I've been in love with those preemies ever since! I love cuddling with them, talking to them and watching their little eyes focus on my face. It's just dreamy!

Being a Telephone Triage nurse, I'll take all the parent calls coming in to the office. If the child is sick they will call to get advice or an appt. Sometimes they need reassurance that they can handle something at home and don't have to bring their child in. Other times, they might need to get to the ER immediately. It's a medical support line.

That's very cool. I'll probably be one of those parents someday, just needing reassurance. I bet that's the person my dad talked to when I was 7 and jumped off a shed roof onto a nail that went straight up into my foot. yuck! He wanted to know if he should bring me to the hospital. Since I had recently had my tetnis shot they just said to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide. That hurt!

Also, I'm nearly 100% sure that Ihave bronchitis. :thumbup: I had chronic bronchitis for years, but have had no problems for the last 2 years. I attribute that to getting my flu shots :eek: Unfortunately this is also my first year working at an elementary school so I have been catching EVERYTHING! :tongue: The kids love me, and when kids love you they like to give hugs. I used to like hugs,:thumbup: and now I imagine a fighter plane with a flu or cold inside that is doing a kamakazi thing and coming straight for me. :thumbup:

I can promise you most of your sickness has to do with those fighter pilots. I work with them as well and I love how they just want a hug every day. I have one little boy who comes at me each morning, searches me out in the hall and comes in for a hip hug.

With my bad luck with pain, my doctor didn't think I would make it through the flu season without getting nailed by the cough and throat hack so she insisted I get the flu shot. I was tired for about a week but so far I haven't caught the bug.

I think with since it's plastic and taping over your piercing it would have been fine. Sometimes medical professionals have these rules and they get stuck on the rules and don't learn to think outside the box. I call it, "they don't make sense" I hate working with nurses and doctors who don't make sense! They do things, i.e. labs, procedures, tests, only because that is what they were taught. Everyone doesn't always fit into a nice neat little box and every one shouldn't be treated the same. Insurance companies are that way too.

thanks!

I think that was one of the things that caught my appreciation for Dr. K was rather than chastising me for being the size I was and pushing me to get down to a smaller size BEFORE he would put the band in me he encouraged me to continue losing, explained about detoxing and getting my liver smaller for surgery..and it was smaller but very FLOPPY - Patty

Thanks Patty! When I consulted with the plastics guy, he told me that people who carry their weight the way we do usually look the best after losing massive amounts of weight and having body lifts. I gain weight everywhere! Not just in one place. My girls are smaller, my butt is smaller and my waist is smaller by 12 inches! The doctor's only concern for my weight is my thighs. My weight is situated not laterally, but medially. Laterally is easier to lift, medially is not. And I have a lot of weight over my knees. As my face gets smaller, I'm getting that turkey gobbler chin that is quite irritating! But the previous triple chin was worse!!!

Posting a photo of myself two days ago. I know what you are saying about the chin. My chin is still reducing by the day but it's hanging now center under my jaw and drawing inward on the sides...see photo.. and my stomach is doing the same. Narrow on the sides, my waist is now appearing, I've got rib bones I can feel when I put my hands at my waist. Wait until you lose more to see what happens to your legs. It's changing in strange ways for me.

Well I'm pretty sure after four months of NO TOM that menopause is here for sure. I'm not asking for one more thing to happen because so much has happened in the past year. Geez. But yes, I could count on atleast ten lbs. tops effecting my weight during TOM's visit.

IMG_7359.jpg

I am going for surgery on March 10 w/Dr. K, too. I was so relieved to find him because my insurance won't cover the procedure (all other state employees have this coverage, but not teachers....grrr). I am excited, and I would love to hear more about your experiences. Please do share when you get back. Also, what plans do you all have for after care?

I don't see the big deal about the piercing. Why not just take it out? There are a lot of reasons to remove it and none I can see to keep it in. It sounds like a lot of hospital resources were wasted over something very silly. I've had lots of piercings, and none have closed up in the course of a day or so. In fact, I've not worn a barbell in my tongue for years, and it hasn't closed. I guess you won, but at what cost and to what end?

I don't see the big deal about the piercing. Why not just take it out? There are a lot of reasons to remove it and none I can see to keep it in. It sounds like a lot of hospital resources were wasted over something very silly. I've had lots of piercings, and none have closed up in the course of a day or so. In fact, I've not worn a barbell in my tongue for years, and it hasn't closed. I guess you won, but at what cost and to what end?

Welcome. I don't get the big deal either about the piercing other than a doctor setting his foot down trying to make a point, I'm sure she isn't the first and won't be the last who has this piercing and doesn't have to have it removed. Don't they tape rings for people who have vowed to not remove them? Atleast that's what I thought.

yes, this is not a covered benefit for teachers in our county either but IS a covered benefit in the county two hours south. I look at it as just having been told no but redirected to a YES by an amazing doctor. Colorado is beautiful, a great place for this Floridian to vacation and have surgery. My new birthday is April 17, 2007. I would do the surgery over again but I wouldn't re-do being that fat again. I would repeat the learning, the awareness of myself and understanding of food, when and why I eat all over again because it was really an epiphany. The Dr. you are getting, and the place where it is happening are assets to the whole CHANGE you are undergoing. Cherish it and take LOTS of pictures.

:drool:

Adorkable (8lbs): -2.0:smilielol5:

Amethystjade (15lbs): -7.0, -2.0, -4.0-2.0:tt1:

Bahotmomma (10lbs): -1:wub:

Bella (12lbs): -2.0, -0.0, +0.0-:thumbup:

Deboregon (10lbs): -8.4, +5.0, +4.0-8.2:tt1:

Jmegirl (10lbs): -1.8, -0.4, -1.2-1:tt1:

Julieann (15lbs): -3.9, -3.1, -3.1, -4.0 :tt1:

KayleighsMommy (15lbs): -2.0,-2.0, +0.0-1.0:tt1:

Lapdancer (20lbs): -1.04, -8.0, -4.02-3.0:tt1:

Lotzasunshine (13lbs): -4.0, -1.0, +0.0+0.0:tt1:

Magaines (15lbs): -4.2, -2.0, +1.9:smilielol5:

Minidriver (10lbs): -4.9, -1.5, +0.0+.5:tt1:

MissMom: -5lbs:wub:

PrtyAntOvrYt (11lbs): -2.0, -0.0, -2.0-2.4:tt1:

Shelbi (7lbs):

Thanks Julieann for choosing our new smiley! I lost 2.4lbs this week! Yeah!

Good job getting the scale moving again Bella!

Amethystjade, I'm glad you got rid of those stones! AND kept your piercing! Sounds like it was a battle!

Okay Kidlings, step on that scale and give me your result! We have 2 weeks left for me to lose 24 lbs! (I'm sure I'll be right there by the 14th!):tongue2:

Sorry I'm late posting, please put me down for -2.6 for this week. Good going everyone.:cheated:

I am going for surgery on March 10 w/Dr. K, too. I was so relieved to find him because my insurance won't cover the procedure (all other state employees have this coverage, but not teachers....grrr). I am excited, and I would love to hear more about your experiences. Please do share when you get back. Also, what plans do you all have for after care?

I am fortunate to live about 13miles from Dr K's office so my aftercare is not an issue. Others can address this. I do have a lot of friends from Albuquerque who have to find their own aftercare. They don't allow Bariatric procedures in the state of NM at this time - so my friends have to go elsewhere. I think it's vital to get your aftercare settled before getting banded. Whether you are banded in the states or in Mexico, many doctors won't accept patients who were banded by other docs. Find out the amount of money upfront, get it in writing if possible and know exactly how you're going to handle your fills. It's a huge deal and the Band won't work without regular adjustments.

Also, when you come for your surgery make sure you come totally prepared. Bring someone with you who can drive and stay with you after the procedure. The surgicenter won't allow you to leave in a taxi. Pardon me if I'm telling you stuff you already know - I just think it's so important to have all your ducks in a row before your arrival here.

I just had my one year Bandiversary and I am thrilled. Dr K is the best, his office staff is wonderful and his OR staff is top notch! You've found one of the best surgeons in this area! Your journey is just starting! My new birthday is 1/29/08 - and like Patty, I would do it all over again!

I can promise you most of your sickness has to do with those fighter pilots. I work with them as well and I love how they just want a hug every day. I have one little boy who comes at me each morning, searches me out in the hall and comes in for a hip hug.

With my bad luck with pain, my doctor didn't think I would make it through the flu season without getting nailed by the cough and throat hack so she insisted I get the flu shot. I was tired for about a week but so far I haven't caught the bug.

Posting a photo of myself two days ago. I know what you are saying about the chin. My chin is still reducing by the day but it's hanging now center under my jaw and drawing inward on the sides...see photo.. and my stomach is doing the same. Narrow on the sides, my waist is now appearing, I've got rib bones I can feel when I put my hands at my waist. Wait until you lose more to see what happens to your legs. It's changing in strange ways for me.

Well I'm pretty sure after four months of NO TOM that menopause is here for sure. I'm not asking for one more thing to happen because so much has happened in the past year. Geez. But yes, I could count on atleast ten lbs. tops effecting my weight during TOM's visit.

IMG_7359.jpg

Patty, you're going to be so teeny tiny! You have a very small frame. And your shoes are so cute!!!

That's very cool. I'll probably be one of those parents someday, just needing reassurance. I bet that's the person my dad talked to when I was 7 and jumped off a shed roof onto a nail that went straight up into my foot. yuck! He wanted to know if he should bring me to the hospital. Since I had recently had my tetnis shot they just said to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide. That hurt!

I wouldn't mind talking to you anytime! I remember talking to a Mom who wanted me to talk to her 5 year old son. He had a bad cough and she wanted me to tell him he couldn't play outside in the snow. She said that he wouldn't obey her - so she told him a nurse would tell him the same! It was a little funny. He asked me why and I told him, it would be better to play in the warm house until his cough was gone. He was pretty cute and told me thank you. I told him next time he came in the office to ask for me because I wanted to shake his hand! He did! It was the highlight of my day!

Sorry I'm late posting, please put me down for -2.6 for this week. Good going everyone.:tongue2:

Good Job!

I updated the Challenge List.

Thanks for all of the info on Dr. K. I do appreciate knowing all of your insights, as I fully understand the significance of what I am undertaking. Some of the things I have heard before, and some things I have not. I am humbly accepting all guidance, as I know that experience is the best teacher, and this is road I have not yet traveled. I am in the process of looking for the best aftercare for me, and I have some promising leads. Also, thanks to this site, I know where not to go for aftercare. In fact, I had been considering that doctor as one of my options. yikes.

I am so excited, I can hardly stand myself!

Today I took my "during" picture at the hospital. Do you like my new glasses?

You are lookin' good, girlfriend! Love the glasses. I had Lasik surgery about 6 years ago and have been soooo happy. I accepted having to wear reading glasses in exchange for seeing distance. Good trade off, as now I get to spend $ on fun, funky reading glasses. I have DOZENS of them, something to match every outfit. Used to drive my students nuts: "Ms. J, just HOW many pairs of glasses do you have???"

Hi, I am from Portland and flew to Denver for my surgery with Dr. K. (greatest dr. in world, and the best OR people you could ever hope for!)

As a retired teacher who still has insurance through school district, my particular insurance did not cover it. Now, here every school district is different; those who have Blue Cross/Blue Shield have coverage. All state employees have coverage. It is nuts, but I figured I am worth the cost of a cheap used car! I fly back to Denver for fills; my operation was Aug. 20 and my first fill was Sept. 25. I am going for my second fill Feb. 10. I choose to spend the $ to go to Dr. K as then if something were to happen (a knick in the line or something), he will take care of it. If I were to go to another dr. or a fill center and something went awry, Dr. K would charge to fix it. So my flight is $160 and $40 shuttle. I am out at 6am and home by 9pm. Fill centers are very high as are most drs. The ones I contacted ranged from $190 per fill to $300+ per fill, if they would do them at all. Like Dee said, lots don't want to help patients from other drs.

Good luck to you, you have made a great choice!:tongue2: