Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I wasn't implying people do this on a whim... some things like post surgery fills/unfills and whether you can get them done locally are things people may overlook in their desperate search for an affordable surgery. When you are self-pay, things can move pretty quickly. I don't understand the outpouring of outrage. Don't you want to encourage future bandsters to do their research and ensure great follow up care, regardless of your personal feelings about your choice of doctors?

I think you are mistaking these comments for outrage. I know I certainly didn't mean to sound angry or anything. Any information is welcomed and appreciated. I personally chose Dr. K but that doesn't mean I don't think there aren't many other qualified surgeons out there. For me, being self-pay, I first looked into him because of his price. Then I was pleasantly surprised by his extensive surgical experience so for me it was a win win situation and I couldn't be happier. I am so unbelievably grateful to him for making the aftercare affordable as well. Hopefully, everyone considering any surgery will do extensive research.

Tally, in your case, it sounds like you made the right decision in going with Dr. K.

Yes, in my particular case, I think I made the right decision for me. I was originally going to go to the Philippines. We have a client who does Domestic and Foreign nurse recruitment and I was going to go on one of the trips to the Philippines and have it done but due to immigration retrogression that trip fell through. This led me to look into (all) other avenues, and there are many :thumbup:

I wasn't implying people do this on a whim... some things like post surgery fills/unfills and whether you can get them done locally are things people may overlook in their desperate search for an affordable surgery. When you are self-pay, things can move pretty quickly. I don't understand the outpouring of outrage. Don't you want to encourage future bandsters to do their research and ensure great follow up care, regardless of your personal feelings about your choice of doctors?

I don't think that any of us were "outraged", just confused that you would post here. We ALWAYS encourage our fellow bandsters to research deeply into whoever their Dr may be, and for whatever post op care they may need. If you read our whole thread (it would take a LONG time) you would see that we do. I am disappointed however, that you would insinuate that we don't encourage anyone.

Edited by lotzasunshine

I've been reading other posts on another WLS board for banders and there is a doctor here in Denver who requires a 48 hour clear liquid pre-op diet. Clear Liquids, no Protein, no sugar, broths, sf popsicles, sf kool-aide, no herbal teas. Period, end of story! The girl on the diet is dying. She's vomiting and has the worst headache.

I just thought how lucky we are to have a doctor who - makes sense.

No offense to anyone else who might read this and had to do that type of pre-op diet, BUT I just think putting a WLS patient on a diet like that is just setting them up for failure, self-defeating thought process, a pre-op weakened physical state and torture.

Oh boy, I feel so fortunate now!

UGH!!! Thank God for Dr. K :thumbup:

I agreed with the fact that people need to research before jumping in. I was just confused as to why you posted it in a thread that has been going for so long, where "Considering" is most likely already over for the OP.

I have to agree with this. You are obviously not "considering" since you've already been banded elsewhere. I think it was a good post but would be (more) helpful elsewhere on the forum.

I am in need of some clothing! I have one pair of pants that fits me now. If anyone has any 16's or 18's that they are willing to part with I would be happy to buy them from you. I need work and play clothes, tops and bottoms.

I have to agree with this. You are obviously not "considering" since you've already been banded elsewhere. I think it was a good post but would be (more) helpful elsewhere on the forum.

I agree, her comments are good and she makes great points. But this particular thread isn't the place for those kinds of comments. We're mostly a social bunch in this thread, and her comments would be better served in her own thread directed specifically towards people who plan to have out-of-state surgery.

I agree with all of you. My surgery would have cost $20,000 here. I only paid $9950.00 with Dr. K. I did alot of research before I made the decision and I then canceled the surgery twice because of financial problems. Dr. K's office will also tell you to make sure you can find aftercare if you can't come back there. Anyone willing to put their health and money on the line should do the research....that is a no brainer. I am going to a surgeon locally that only charges me for the cost of an office visit ($54.50) for my fills. If it wasn't for my fellow bandsters on this thread, I would have never made such a huge decision. The people of this site have helped each other through good times and bad. I don't even have local friends who are willing to talk and do things for me like the girls on this thread. This is a very special group of people who will only have great things to say about Dr. K. So anyone coming to this thread, be assured you will be in good hands with Dr. K and his staff.

ok, sorry I haven't posted for a few days.

Mini~ I was down 1.5 on friday.

My Dad is doing well after his surgery. The Dr was able to remove the tumor, and they sent it for tests. The first tests that came back right after showed some malignant cells.They are going to be checking the rest of his body for tumors, and he will probably need some cancer treatment even if they find nothing. It has been a really hard weekend. But miracles keep happening along the way. First, a young Dr ordered an MRI instead of a cat scan(the regular dr said they would have missed it on a CAT scan). Then the Dr was able to pull a few strings and had the surgeon(a friend of his) look at the MRI results on his lunch break. Then the surgeon went out of his way to come in on a Saturday to remove the tumor. After the surgery the surgeon told us that if Dad hadn't gone to the clinic to get his 2 week headache checked out the he could have fallen asleep, slipped into a coma, and died withing hours of falling asleep.

He has bounced right back after surgery. He woke up great, and was out in time to watch the BYU football game that he didn't want to miss. Yesterday he scared the ICU nurses by getting out of bed and walking around. My dad goes crazy if he can't work, so my mom is bringing him his laptop today. They should be moving him to a regular room today.

Also, some other good news is that My SIL had her baby and I now have another nephew!! YAY!!

As you can see I am really trying to keep a positive attitude and get thru the next few days. Love you guys!!

Lotza, I'm so happy your Dad is doing well. Sounds like he'll be home in no time.

I decided to get another fill this week. I'm still hungry after just a few hours, and feel like I can eat too much at each meal. Going to try Tom this time.

Dionna - You're right...people...especially us who come from far away, should take care of ALL aspects of the surgery (cost, pre-surgery care, post-care, fills, support, etc.) It took me 6 years to finally make this decision and I would assume that a high percentage of people who have been banded (although, I'll agree not all) took the time to do proper and full research. For instance, I KNEW that I'd have to travel to have surgery, that I'd need some after-care support, that I needed to FLY (and an EXPENSIVE flight for me) to get each fill, and that I'd already talked to 3 fill docs who would take me on for after-care. I have also befriended some physicians in Nome who will be able to take care of emergencies. I'm no idiot...living rural like this, you have to take extra precautions. I'm happy to report that MANY people who have had to fly in to Denver to see Dr. K have gone through ALL (if not more) of the steps I did - which shows commitment to the process. Also to note: those who are doing GREAT on the band who might have in-person support are not on these sites...those who need support ARE (and a LOT of those that need support are having issues). So...by a statistical standpoint...of course you're going to find people with problems here...you're not going to hear about the THOUSANDS of people that have never had a problem whatsoever.:thumbup:

Just for kicks, I tried to "chew chew chew" my dinner last night. I had a salad with lots of fun stuff on it like dried cranberries, cashews, cheese, eggs, carrot shreds, yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes - you get the picture.

Well, I chew chew chewed my way to lots of gagging and nausea trying to swallow each bite. :biggrin: Now I'm really starting to freak myself out!! What if I can't do this? Do you really have to chew your food to mush before you swallow it? I am scared to death I'll get this band and underchew everything and wind up in pain all the time!!! :thumbup:

Just for kicks, I tried to "chew chew chew" my dinner last night. I had a salad with lots of fun stuff on it like dried cranberries, cashews, cheese, eggs, carrot shreds, yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes - you get the picture.

Well, I chew chew chewed my way to lots of gagging and nausea trying to swallow each bite. :mellow: Now I'm really starting to freak myself out!! What if I can't do this? Do you really have to chew your food to mush before you swallow it? I am scared to death I'll get this band and underchew everything and wind up in pain all the time!!! :biggrin:

Well, I don't tend to chew things to mush, but I've not really had very tight restriction yet, so that may change. But meat, especially, can feel like a golf ball going down if I'm not careful.

I just wanted to tell everyone that I will be in Southern Utah for fall break, so I won't be in touch so much. I'll try to catch up when I get back!

Well, I chew chew chewed my way to lots of gagging and nausea trying to swallow each bite. :mellow: Now I'm really starting to freak myself out!! What if I can't do this? Do you really have to chew your food to mush before you swallow it? I am scared to death I'll get this band and underchew everything and wind up in pain all the time!!! :biggrin:

I had to laugh at this because this wsa my biggest fear, lol! I gag so badly when I chew to mush. I have issues with textures. I think I have pretty good restriction from my first fill which was last Wednesday. I got 3.2 cc's and have lost 8 pounds so far and I am not chewing to mush. I still am eating more than I thought I would be able to but obviously it's ok so....Yes, I agree, be careful with the meat though. But do not be afraid, I was scared to death to even drink the first time after the fill. Dr. K kept saying come on drink, big sips, ha,ha! Anyway, I hope this helps some. I am chewing more than I usually would but not what I thought I would have to do. I am four pounds away from onederland and never thought I would get there again in this lifetime so I am a happy, happy camper (bandster)right now :cool2:

Deb

I had to laugh at this because this wsa my biggest fear, lol! I gag so badly when I chew to mush. I have issues with textures. I think I have pretty good restriction from my first fill which was last Wednesday. I got 3.2 cc's and have lost 8 pounds so far and I am not chewing to mush. I still am eating more than I thought I would be able to but obviously it's ok so....Yes, I agree, be careful with the meat though. But do not be afraid, I was scared to death to even drink the first time after the fill. Dr. K kept saying come on drink, big sips, ha,ha! Anyway, I hope this helps some. I am chewing more than I usually would but not what I thought I would have to do. I am four pounds away from onederland and never thought I would get there again in this lifetime so I am a happy, happy camper (bandster)right now :mellow:

Deb

Yeah! Go Deb!!!:biggrin: