Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

OK I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're saying here, and I'm going cross-eyed. Can you explain how to do the math again? Or, can you do mine??? :girl_hug: Now, granted my scale is going to be way off, because it's late and I've had ice cream AND macaroni and cheese today. But hey, it's a start. And if you tell me how to do the math, then when I get a more accurate weight and fat % in the morning, then I can do it on my own tomorrow. I'm currently 258lbs and it says 55% body fat. Oh god, I've gained at least 10lbs in the last 3 weeks since I made my appointment with Dr. K.

OK do the math Mini. I'm gonna go cry. :biggrin:

Now, don't cry. It's okay. Here we go: If you weigh 258 and have 55% fat, you have 45% "not fat". So you have 116 lbs of "not fat" stuff. IF none of that changed (no increase or decrease in muscle mass, etc) and you wanted to be at 31% fat, you would have a weight of 116 lbs plus approx 52 lbs of fat for a total of 168.

Oops, I screwed mine up. It should be 128, not 118.

That's not quite as bad, since I set my target weight at 132. I just need to add 4 lbs of muscle and I'll be right there!

Now, don't cry. It's okay. Here we go: If you weigh 258 and have 55% fat, you have 45% "not fat". So you have 116 lbs of "not fat" stuff. IF none of that changed (no increase or decrease in muscle mass, etc) and you wanted to be at 31% fat, you would have a weight of 116 lbs plus approx 52 lbs of fat for a total of 168.

Wow, I haven't ever been that low. At least not since 8th grade!! I had my heart set on 180lbs. I was down to 175lbs when I was 19 (my freshman year of college) and I was a super hottie then. I don't think I'll be able to get that low again though.

But, you never know! At 175lbs I was a size 12, so just barely out of the "plus size" realm but I still looked good - I looked healthy. I think I'm just big-boned. All you nurses out there, is big-boned real, or is it just something fat girls tell themselves? :girl_hug:

Prty and Shelbi,

My mom says you spend the first half of your life accumulating stuff, and the next half trying to get rid of it! ha! Prty, congrats on the improved waistline already - you gals are so buff and athletic! I can hardly mow the lawn without exhaustion.

well, in my desire for more stuff...LOL...am perusing craigslist for a new coffee table. Tired of how my living room looks, and thought i'd spruce it up a little!

Hey Denver area girls (and those willing to travel) ....i know this is far ahead, but how about instead of a December Tuesday night red robin night we do a potluck and $5 gift exchange? I live in SE Denver and would be willing to host at my place! What do you think? 12/9 maybe?

I would love to do a holiday get together!! Name the date and place (i work weekends but can come after 7). :girl_hug:

Any other takers??

Wow, I haven't ever been that low. At least not since 8th grade!! I had my heart set on 180lbs. I was down to 175lbs when I was 19 (my freshman year of college) and I was a super hottie then. I don't think I'll be able to get that low again though.

But, you never know! At 175lbs I was a size 12, so just barely out of the "plus size" realm but I still looked good - I looked healthy. I think I'm just big-boned. All you nurses out there, is big-boned real, or is it just something fat girls tell themselves? :girl_hug:

Well, you'll probably gain muscle as you go along and can weigh a bit more anyway.

12/9 is a Tuesday, and that's actually about one month after my surgery and possibly the week I'll be returning to Colorado for a fill! Keep me posted on your plans, because I could potentially stay overnight the night you do the get-together and just home first thing in the morning!

Both Dr. K and Tom think that I pulled a stitch out of my port and ripped some muscle away with it. They said it wouldn't be erosion or a slip because I still have good restriction without refluxing or throwing up. So, I think that I will take it easy with the ab work awhile and once it is feeling better, start up slowly again. I haven't been to the gym since Tuesday and the pain is slowly disappearing. The weird thing was that it was in my back as well. I think I will try to go again on Wednesday.

Hubby is good, great actually. He came home early this evening. I am shocked. But better than the hospital. He will do much better at home. Were just taking it easy and trying to keep 4 kids as calm as we can. HA!

I'm so glad you're starting to feel better and that hubby is doing so well!!! You must all be soooo relieved. Give all the kids a hot toddy and send them to bed. -joke-:girl_hug::tt2::biggrin:

Ladies, a quick question regarding fake nails...LOL

I have gel nails, and have had them for years. Will I need to have them taken off for surgery??? :rolleyes2:

I have not been around for a while and have been reading some posts to catch up a bit but did want to answer this question for you. I didn't see an answer yet, but if it has already been answered, sorry!

I have nails as well, had them for many, many years, and I didn't have to take them off for the surgery. I didn't even have to take off the polish on my toes or nails, which some had said. The little thing that goes on your finger (which is what I was concerned about) actually worked great. They put it on slowly and my nail slid through the open end and then they rested it on my finger, just like if I didn't have long nails.

Hope that helps!

Jennifer

I have not been around for a while and have been reading some posts to catch up a bit but did want to answer this question for you. I didn't see an answer yet, but if it has already been answered, sorry!

I have nails as well, had them for many, many years, and I didn't have to take them off for the surgery. I didn't even have to take off the polish on my toes or nails, which some had said. The little thing that goes on your finger (which is what I was concerned about) actually worked great. They put it on slowly and my nail slid through the open end and then they rested it on my finger, just like if I didn't have long nails.

Hope that helps!

Jennifer

Thanks for the feedback!!! :rolleyes2:

Also, yet another question for my ladies. I really need to get a notebook and start writing down all the things I'm finding out, because I'll probably forget half of them come surgery time.

Question: How are salads with the band? By salad, I mean iceberg lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe some cheese, maybe some nuts, chopped egg...normal salad, nothin' fancy. Light or FF dressing of course. How does that go down? I'll be disappointed if I can't enjoy a good salad when I'm banded...

Why does my scale say I am 49% body fat?!?! Surely that is not right... I am at 149, WTH?!?!

So Mini, do your majic and let me know where I am at

Your scale can't possibly be right, so . . .

I have tried 3 times...it is always the same.

Is that possible???

I don't think it's measuring it accurately. That would mean that you only have 75 lbs of "non-fat". That seems completely impossible to me.