Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

After your initial consult, how long was the time before actually having the surgery? Where there any problems? Did you have to have overnight stay in the hospital? How much time would you recommend one should safely take off work? Any regrets?

I had my consult and surgery all within 5 weeks, so it went really fast. For the vast majority, it is an outpatient surgery. I would take a week off if you can, but many go back to work after a few days. Nope, no regrets.

I am looking into doing this. I am so scared. How is the scarring? What was your starting weight and height? What was the sugery like and the recoup time? I would love to hear from you.

Hi there Adoptionislove1 and welcome! I know it's scary to contemplate a life-changing surgery, but we all had these questions at one point and I know we are all glad to help you figure out if this is right for you. But do keep in mind that everyone is different, so you're probably going to get varied answers. Here are mine.

I had my consult in early January and my surgery was February 14. I could've had it earlier, but I needed to bank a few days off because I was at a fairly new job. I had no complications and I did not have an overnight stay. I believe I arrived at the hospital around 12:30 and left by 4. The actual surgery itself was only about 35-40 minutes long. With Dr. Kirshenbaum, you only have an overnight stay if you have some health issues that warrant it (or of course some unforseen complication).

No regrets -- I am doing very well. My starting weight was 302 and I am 5'10". I am currently at 244 with a goal weight of 175.

I was back to work 4 days after surgery, but I wish I'd taken a little longer. I was really run-down and tired the first few days back and I have a desk job. If I had a job where I was on my feet all day, I would definitely take longer than week. I guess the most lasting effect was the soreness around the port. It takes longer to heal since the port is stitched to muscle. It took about six to eight weeks for it not to pull when I turned a certain way. Situps were out of the question. I'm not talking horrible pain, just a twinge.

The scarring is no big deal. I had five incisions. Four of them are almost invisible but the biggest one, about two inches long, is still there. I have put Mederma on them daily for a month or so after surgery and I think it helped to make them flatter and less noticable. But it's not really that bothersome to me. I already had stretch marks and scars from other things.

Let us know if you have any other questions -- we have all been there and we can help! :cry_smile:

Hey, Gals! I have tried a thousand ways from Sunday to get pictures posted....yay for Purple Lady...thanks for putting the video up! It's not that I don't know how to post pics...I can't figure out how to shrink my pictures down to less than 1MB. The program I used to use for that is no longer available. RATS!

Lifesaver and Bahotmama~thanks for the clothes! I have to admit, I haven't tried any on yet, kinda scared. Silly huh? Afraid I'll be disappointed in what I see I guess. I turned into such a tshirt and jeans person, what if pretty clothes still look so icky on me?:ohmy: I'll be trying them on soon though. Thanks again!

Mal~Miss you and praying for your family. {{{{{hugs!}}}}}

Dee~ I missed you at the BBQ! We had to leave by 1:30 cuz my hubby had to be at work by 3. Waaah! I think I saw you driving in as we were driving out. Rats-a-roony! And I must say...wow are you looking different! Tell me, are you feeling as great as your looking?!

Adork~Sorry about the Gallbladder! Hope you get relief soon! And thanks for running the tally for us.

Greenchrysalis~Thanks! I hadn't thought about it, but someone mentioned...28s to 14s...thats half of me! This is my catch-up post too! :cry_smile:

Welcome Adoptionislove1! I don't regret a thing. I feel very fortunate to have received my band from Dr. K. I love my band and should anything ever happen to it...I'd wait long enough for my guts to heal and I'd stick another one right back in there!

Well, I'm back to work on Monday. :drool: The summer is gone. :blink: We have our back to work meeting monday, open and clean the kitchen tuesday, prep and pull foods on wed...feed the freshman on thursday and the whole school on friday...

Ya, I said freshman...I changed schools this year! I'll be over at Liberty High which is less then a mile from my house. Yay me! (especially with gas prices) I also don't have to head so far north when the weather is bad. I was just south/east of Monument before...seriously crappy drive in the ice and snow.

Well...this post has rambled on long enough! Have a great day! :biggrin2:

Hey, Gals! I have tried a thousand ways from Sunday to get pictures posted....yay for Purple Lady...thanks for putting the video up! It's not that I don't know how to post pics...I can't figure out how to shrink my pictures down to less than 1MB. The program I used to use for that is no longer available. RATS!

Lifesaver and Bahotmama~thanks for the clothes! I have to admit, I haven't tried any on yet, kinda scared. Silly huh? Afraid I'll be disappointed in what I see I guess. I turned into such a tshirt and jeans person, what if pretty clothes still look so icky on me?:ohmy: I'll be trying them on soon though. Thanks again!

Mal~Miss you and praying for your family. {{{{{hugs!}}}}}

Dee~ I missed you at the BBQ! We had to leave by 1:30 cuz my hubby had to be at work by 3. Waaah! I think I saw you driving in as we were driving out. Rats-a-roony! And I must say...wow are you looking different! Tell me, are you feeling as great as your looking?!

Adork~Sorry about the Gallbladder! Hope you get relief soon! And thanks for running the tally for us.

Greenchrysalis~Thanks! I hadn't thought about it, but someone mentioned...28s to 14s...thats half of me! This is my catch-up post too! :cry_smile:

Welcome Adoptionislove1! I don't regret a thing. I feel very fortunate to have received my band from Dr. K. I love my band and should anything ever happen to it...I'd wait long enough for my guts to heal and I'd stick another one right back in there!

Well, I'm back to work on Monday. :drool: The summer is gone. :blink: We have our back to work meeting monday, open and clean the kitchen tuesday, prep and pull foods on wed...feed the freshman on thursday and the whole school on friday...

Ya, I said freshman...I changed schools this year! I'll be over at Liberty High which is less then a mile from my house. Yay me! (especially with gas prices) I also don't have to head so far north when the weather is bad. I was just south/east of Monument before...seriously crappy drive in the ice and snow.

Well...this post has rambled on long enough! Have a great day! :biggrin2:

Hi Anita. Have you tried attaching them directly to your post as thumbnails? That works for me without having to resize them at all.

Wow, I can't believe you're starting back to work NEXT WEEK!!! I don't have to start back until the 27th. That's great that you will be closer to your house. Makes a world of difference.

Hi Anita. Have you tried attaching them directly to your post as thumbnails? That works for me without having to resize them at all.

Wow, I can't believe you're starting back to work NEXT WEEK!!! I don't have to start back until the 27th. That's great that you will be closer to your house. Makes a world of difference.

My husband is a teacher and he had to go back for "pre-planning" (stupid name) last Tuesday. Monday was the first day of school. It seems like it starts earlier and earlier every year...

My husband is a teacher and he had to go back for "pre-planning" (stupid name) last Tuesday. Monday was the first day of school. It seems like it starts earlier and earlier every year...

OH YUCK!!! Does he get out early or something? That seems soooo early.

clap.gif LABOR DAY 4 WEEK CHALLENGE clap.gif

(monday weigh-ins)

adorKable | 314 | 15 lbs | 1 hr walk daily & strength 3x week

Amieru | 249 | 9 lbs | 3x week gym

bahotmomma | 5 lbs | 3x week c25k

BellaPerdente | 259 | 10 lbs| 30 min walk daily

brandymom1234 | 10 lbs | gym 3x week

deboregon | 8 lbs | 30 min daily

DenverGirl | 5 lbs | 30 min 3x week

lap_dancer | 23 lbs

lifesaver | 178 | 8 lbs

lotzasunshine |10 lbs | 30 min 5x week

Mal | 10 lbs | 30 min daily & strength 4x week

minidriver | 204.8 | 10 lbs | 30 min walk daily

munchkin392 | 189 | 8 lbs | bad foot free pass on exercise

PrtyAntOvrYt | 20 lbs

ShelbiCallie | 189 | 8 lbs | 1 hr daily

Woofay | 5 lbs

Rock it ladies!

clap.gif

Sorry I'm late my starting weight is 146. Also, I started the couch to 5k challenge on Monday it was fun...:wink_smile:

I assume this is due to having had a fill yesterday, and indicates that I have restriction.

I am sipping a Protein Shake and, since it is very cold, I can feel it going down. It is sort of sitting above my band at the moment. How strange! Not sure what it will feel like when I try to eat something solid for lunch.< /p>

Sorry I'm late my starting weight is 146. Also, I started the couch to 5k challenge on Monday it was fun...:wink_smile:

146!!!!!! woohoo!!! Oh I can't wait for that day.

Anita, GET IN THERE AND TRY THOSE CLOTHES ON (YES I'M YELLING), you will look great and you deserve to wear nice clothes. Look at all the hard work you have put into losing this weight, now go ahead and dress to show off your hard work. You are such a beautiful woman, and you need to stop hiding behind those jeans and t-shirts. (Okay I'm done yelling, I just want you to feel better about yourself). I am so happy and proud of you.

Mini, You have restriction. Maybe try eating mushies for today and see how that works. Yeah for you, did you have a nice flight?

OH YUCK!!! Does he get out early or something? That seems soooo early.

Last day the students are there is May 26. He has to stay until June 12. I don't know if you consider that early. :thumbup:

I assume this is due to having had a fill yesterday, and indicates that I have restriction.

I am sipping a Protein Shake and, since it is very cold, I can feel it going down. It is sort of sitting above my band at the moment. How strange! Not sure what it will feel like when I try to eat something solid for lunch.< /p>

Yep, that's restriction for you! Just sip very slowly. I can usually feel my liquids move through the band. It's that way with some foods too. Just chew chew chew, eat slowly, pay attention to what your body is telling you and you should be just fine. :wink_smile:

Denise, your photos are so cute! You need some jeans that fit, girl. I loved your jean-burning story. I'm a hypocrite though, I'm wearing jeans that are two sizes too big today, held up with hubby's belt. I know, it's sad. They were my favorite jeans...and MC Heather -- I mean Munchkin of course -- I have been right there with you. :thumbup:

My goal weight is 175, which would put me at a BMI of 25.1. Since fill #4, I am 6 pounds closer. I am struggling with eating only when I am hungry and sticking to the smaller portions. Just because I can eat it (as in, I can fit it in without feeling bloated and not slime, PB, etc) doesn't mean I should eat it. Very difficult. I have slid back into some of my old ways but I have called myself on it. Yesterday I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast as I was in a hurry, on my way to a work function. When I got there, they provided Water, juice, mini-muffins and fruit. I went up to the table intending to just grab a bottle of water, and yet ended up with a lemon poppyseed mini-muffin and a couple of grapes. I was not hungry. Yet there I was. Not hugely damaging calorie-wise or anything, but I ate when I was not hungry.

Has anyone else tried Protein water? I hadn't until this week. The Special K pink lemonade mix is pretty tasty. On the one hand, protein water seems like a silly idea. But on the other, if drinking water with 30 calories, 5g of Fiber and 5g of protein keeps me from overindulging in unhealthy snacks...it's worth a shot.

OK, I am caught up with reading and comments! Bring it on. :wink_smile:

Thank you for your kind words, you are so sweet. Get rid of those 2 sizes to big pants and get 1 or 2 new pairs you deserve them. Wish you lived closer so you could participate in our clothes swap. I haven't tried the protein water yet, but I will with your recommendation.

Marie - any word from the school district yet??

Just got word that I GOT THE JOB!!!!! YAY!!!!:cool2::wink_smile::thumbup::tongue:

I won't be starting until probably Labor Day because the teachers still need to work out their schedules. but still!!! YAY!! I am VERY excited!!:glare: