Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

So...obviously, I got banded for me. Not for anybody else. But it is nice to get compliments on your hard work, right? My DH has pointed out some things and he sees me every day. A co-worker has said things and she sees me five days a week. Supposedly, weight loss is more noticeable to people who don't see you every day.

This weekend I was at my parents' house (the third time I have seen them since being banded) and not a word. I am down 50 pounds and three sizes, surely it's obvious? I have a long way to go still, but really? Nothing? Either they don't notice or they don't want to say anything. Nothing stopped them (especially my father) from pointing out how fat I was on some occasions in the past.

But I can deal, because again, it is for me and I know I am doing well and looking better. The kicker is when my father started talking about how much better he is doing with his eating (he is a type II diabetic and mostly non-compliant). Then he rubbed his gut and said, "I've even lost 5 pounds! Can you tell?" Later my DH said it was all he could do not to blurt out "She has lost 50 pounds! Can YOU tell?" He pointed out also I was wearing an empire top, but it is even obvious to me in my face, chest (hello, collarbones, I have missed you) and arms.

It makes me sad, because obviously a small part of me still longs to be "good enough" and wants the approval I have never gotten. Although I know that won't happen, I know the approval has to come from me and I know that I am most assuredly "good enough," it is still there.

Oh Green -- I feel ya on this one. I know in my heart that I don't need my dad's approval and probably won't ever fully be validated by him, but I crave it. And he's freakin' 91 years old. I'm working so hard not to repeat that with my own children -- it's very hard not to be critical when I have been the recipient for many years and do it quite well to myself now, thank you very much!

That being said, congrats on your 50 loss and yippee for those sexy collarbones, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandy & Ador -- Hope you are both feeling better, please let us know what is going on. I have been saying prayers since I read about you both this morning.

Green -- It is so sad when people treat us that way. I know how you are feeling, I have that problem with my MIL. Always trying to 'win' her approval (and after 17 years it gets kinda had to keep trying). We love you and are so proud of you, I know that doesn't make up for your parents approval but its a start. Just keep going and hold your head high you did this for all the right reasons, YOU!!!!!!!!

We went to the lake this weekend and I waterskiied for the 1st time in 16 years. Finally got rid of 50+ lbs and could get my fat as_ up outta the Water. I was so happy and everyone in the boat was hooting & holleran. It was the coolest. :)

I will try to post some pics later today. Gotta get back to work now.

ShelbiCallie & Bahotmomma, thank you. I do appreciate it. I know rationally that I have to let go of the past, because I can't change it. And I know that I can't expect anybody else to change. And yet. I am so blessed to have a supportive husband and you fabulous people!

Bahot, I have never waterskiied, sounds like a blast! Go you!

RAHotmomma -- Water skiing! That is so cool. You have completely transformed yourself with this band and I applaud you. You need to do a Lap Band commercial, seriously, because you have worked this tool so well and are such an inspiration.

Mal -- That is so cool about the Harley! Be careful and wear a helmet and only get a tasteful tatoo, ok? Just kidding.

Well, I am here. I am going in to see Dr. K tomorrow afternoon. I am having very sharp stabbing pains in my left side and towards my stomach. They go up my side, up my back and then I have very bad heartburn. I can't even stand up straight. This only happens when I eat or drink. My port site feels really strange to me...almost swollen. I am taking Prilosec. I am scared to death that something is wrong. I will die, literally if something is wrong.

Good for you Bahot!! You rock chickie!

I think that we all are looking for approval from someone. Even when we don't want to be, we still do. I feel the same with my in-laws, no matter what, it just doesn't seem to be good enough. I hate it!

Well, I am here. I am going in to see Dr. K tomorrow afternoon. I am having very sharp stabbing pains in my left side and towards my stomach. They go up my side, up my back and then I have very bad heartburn. I can't even stand up straight. This only happens when I eat or drink. My port site feels really strange to me...almost swollen. I am taking Prilosec. I am scared to death that something is wrong. I will die, literally if something is wrong.

Brandy,

I will pray, cross my fingers (and my toes), whatever it takes for you to be ok! Hopefully you are just a little irritated in your gut from all the retching the other night, and nothing is actually wrong with your band. Keep us posted!

BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green-I had the same situation with my little 91 year old grandmother...she made the comment "Well, you can finally start to tell you are losing a little weight". I know she didn't mean it to be hurtful, but it was a little bit. This was after I had lost 40 pounds. I have gone from a size 20/22 to a 14/16. All I can think is surely it must be noticable, right? And yes, the whole 5 pound comment from your dad would have gotten me too!

Bahot-the waterskiing thing sounds so fun!! I have always been to scared to waterski, kudos to you!

Mal-are you going to be one of those burly Harley chicks now? :blink:

Just kidding! Take pics next time for us!

Man, I miss Dee and Mini!! When are they coming back???

Brandy -- I really hope everything is okay. I am here if you need to talk or a shoulder to cry on, just im me and I'll send you my phone number.

Mal: My hubby is hooked on Harleys and his buddy has one. I can see the day he and I go riding on our own bike.

Green said " am down 50 pounds and three sizes, surely it's obvious? I have a long way to go still, but really? Nothing? Either they don't notice or they don't want to say anything. Nothing stopped them (especially my father) from pointing out how fat I was on some occasions in the past"

Honey look at my picture. It's SOOO obvious I have lost weight. Compliments or comments from my family are minimal to zero. Know this..it's not you it's them. Start looking to different areas for approval because I do know that need for some type of approval and in my family I suffered with self depreciating comments for years thinking I was so inadaquate ... know that I feel for you and understand where you are coming from. Keep it going you're doing awesome. Be your own best friend!

BRANDY SAID:

Brandymom wishing you the best tomorrow at Dr. K's office. Feel good in knowing he is a great surgeon and methodical in his examinations.

If it makes you feel any better I had funky pain going up my shoulder after surgery for quite a time. It eventually faded. I hope yours is minimal and easily treated.

Folks I'm down to a size 20. I was in a 26-28 more on the 28 end when I started. My no loss of pounds last week is showing up this week. Can't wait for the official weigh date. Think I will stick to Thursdays like in the beginning.

All for now.

Patty

WTG, Lap!!! You are doing awesome; rockin' that 20!! You'll be riding on the back of a Harley in no time, striking a fabulous pose with a smokin hot body. I am completely sure of it. All this talk of motorcycles reminds me of the last time I was on one -- 30 years ago!! What a sense of freedom, ya know?

Brandy, I'm thinking/hoping/praying you've just got some irritation from the ER episode a few days ago. I'm sure Dr. K will know exactly what to do and his ultrasound will show that your band is just fine. (In fact, I'm sending a telepathic message to your band to tell it to behave, right now. Did it work?) Keep us posted. We're pulling for you.

LA -- is your gall bladder behaving?

Munch -- I miss Dee and Mini too.

Is it just me or does any one else picture our Minidriver as Minnie Driver? You know, from "Good Will Hunting"??? Love that movie. I always read Mini's posts with a British accent.

As promised a picture of me skiing...[ATTACH]14157[/ATTACH]

SHE SKIS!!! YAY!!! Awesome pic.

Anita I'm having a weekly FLUSH if you catch my drift. (winks)

*Anita and I have this thing with our weightloss, we hold hold hold boooom* and spend a few days worshiping the porcelain alter.:blink: