Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Wow! Neuroscience is such a fascinating area. As I was ending my teaching career (high school English), the staff was being inserviced more and more about brain science and connection to education. I love the fact that young girls are being exposed to the possibilities of careers in science and math. Such a thing wasn't in the realm of possibility when I was in jr. high (mid-1960s). In h.s. I was basically given three options: nurse (ouch..faint at the sight of blood); secretary (got kicked out of bookkeeping); and teaching. Well, there really was only one option. Wanted to teach history but the realilty of late '60s was only men (read: coaches) taught social science. Second area: English. Oh, well, stayed there for 32 years and loved the subject matter, but loved the kids more.

Mini, keep at those young girls encouraging them about the world of science!

How cool that you taught English for all those years! Teaching is so fun. I really love it.

Actually, the class I'm teaching tonight is part of a summer camp we have called AWE+SUM. It's all centered on encouraging girls to go into math and science. We have all kinds of different classes and activities, they have dinner with recent grads, etc. It's pretty fun . . . but they wear me out! We're making playdoh brains tonight and talking about how each of the parts is impacted by puberty. Should be fun!

PS- I was in Jr. High in the early 70's and the choices for girls were about the same. I didn't start college until I was 35, and then dragged my poor teenagers to grad school with me while I did my doctoral work.

Marcy: Since I am new, might I ask how it is that you came to be in such an isolated place? I can't imagine the fortitude it must take to live under such restrictions! Good on ya!:)

Deb - Here's the long story: came to AK with my mom (who followed boyfriend from WA) in 2nd grade. Lived in Fairbanks until I was almost 21 and went to college in Idaho - swearing off Alaska forever. The best opportunity for my internship just happened to be back in Fairbanks so I went there. Then, after applying for over 600 jobs (no type-o there) I met my husband and we got married. We always planned on moving to the "lower 48", but then I talked him into being an Alaska State Trooper (the Troopers are like the military and they move you around the state). So now we're here in Nome...there was a promotion involved. It's ok, but I'm looking forward to getting back onto a highway (paved or marine). The weather is stinkin' right now, but usually it's quite tolerable and nice. There's nothing like going to the beach in the evening after looking at musk ox in the afternoon! (NOTE: I am NOT the out-doorsy type so this is a big deal that I'm into something that's not indoors!)

Anyway...short story...followed my husband here.:lol:

Drive-by post here. Will post again after I have time to read everything!

Thanks for all of the well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers. As always, you gals are the most thoughtful and supportive crew ever to grace the mighty internet.

Now about hub's cardiac cath this morning...

Hubby is home, did very well, and got a good report! Only a 10-

20% "narrowing" of 2 vessels, but no obstruction and Dr. doesn't

think that he's had an MI in the past. Dr. feels that the

weakness (his 40-45% ejection fraction, when 50-60%? is a normal

ejection fraction. Correct me here, Munchkin; I'm an old L& D nurse. Don't no nuthin' 'bout no cardiac stuff) of his heart is due to the chronic, but intermittent, arrythmias that he's had for years (which had originally been written off as anxiety attacks about 10-12 years ago.) The cause of this is probably due to the way his heart conduction is (and probably why his Dad had cardiac arrest without a previous diagnosis) plus his unhealthy

lifestyle choices (is that PC enough?)So...diet, exercise, and

medication can probably manage this situation presently. Whew!

Another bullet dodged, but a much-needed heads up received. Let's hope

he'll continue to take this to heart (pun intended). I've used up my

quota of ()'s today, so I'll close for now. Love, Shelbi

Shelbi -- I don't know anything abt nursing, but that sounded like an okay report to me. It sounds like it can be controlled if hubby just follows dr's orders. Yeah, I glad it was nothing more serious.

OK - you guys post way more often than I can ever hope to match!

Shelbi - great news about your husband. Maybe this is enough to get him to work on things.

Marcy-I visited Alaska in 2004 and fell in love with it. But I couldn't handle the winters.

Mini-You are an inspiration to all those you teach with your drive for reaching higher and farther.

Lap-Great post. I spend too much time looking back.

Bahot-Maybe you could just record your treadmill talking and send it to all of us to connect to our exercise equipment

Dee-Have a great time in Vegas. My daughter will be 29 in 2 weeks. We are planning a big party for her 30th.

Just a band note about myself. I am pretty stubborn and will push the limits with everything to test if it's really true. If you say I can't or shouldn't then I will still try. Sometimes that's good but often it's not. Anyway back to the story. I have been following the band rules for eating for 5 weeks and planned to do the same when I went to dinner with friends last night. I have not had anything to drink with my meals and have waited 20-30 minutes. This time I fell into my old habit of drinking my iced tea like a fish before and during my meal. I ate much more than I had been able to eat before and it was primarily because I was drinking throughout. I went home and have gone back to that practice and have had restriction. It was amazing that I did it so quickly and how important it is for me to do what they say works best. Believe them when they say you can eat around the band. I have lost weight since the fill but that experience opened my eyes to how careful I need to be. You all know that but I wanted to tell anyone out there who is noncompliant like me - just do what they suggest and you will be much better off.

As for the bread and steak - Dr. K said to experiment with some things to see if they could go down OK. I haven't had trouble with whole grain breads but haven't tried steak. Neither he or Paula said anything was off limits except what you would normally avoid when trying to lose weight. Sidney

Sidann~

It is so easy to eat around the band...much easier than one may think. I had 2 potato skins and the a Cold Stone Ice Cream!! Yikes!!! It is so hard when you have 2 of the cutest kids B E G G I N G you to PLEEEEEAAASSSSSEEEE lets go get ice cream...

The good thing is that you know what you did and you know what you have to DO to get back on track. I am glad you have lost weight since your fill! Now lets get our fannies back in gear in the morning!

Shelbi - YAYYYYY!!! Oh this is very good news. I really hope it put enough of a scare into him to make some better choices for the future.

Sidann - wow, sounds like an important lesson learned. I have a tendency to drink a lot during meals too. Thanks for sharing that.

I am 6 months out and STILL have a hard time not drinking with meals. You would think that it would push stuff down, but I have such awesome restriction that it actually pushes the food back up...and then you know what that means!

Just know Sidann, we all screw up. If there is a bandster out there that has been 100% perfect, they are lying. We screw up, we move on!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

So I'm starting my preop diet tomorrow and I weighed myself today for the first time in six weeks. I fully admit that I have been eating with abandon. Ummm . . . I've gained six pounds. YIKES. Guess I'll have to update my ticker - and not in a good direction!!!

Sidann,

Brandy is right. There is not one Bandster out there who is perfect!! I am certainly not perfect. I lost less than one pound last month! After being on target for 3 months - I allowed my addiction to take over. We can't beat ourselves up when we are human. We have to support ourselves. For too many years, we have strived for perfection. And when we've fallen short of the mark, we've allowed our addiction to soothe us. It's time we accept our imperfections. Accept our human-ness and accept that this is a lifestyle change.

got it Missy?

be good to yourself!

It's not easy, I know.

But you deserve to be loved by You.

dee~

So I'm starting my preop diet tomorrow and I weighed myself today for the first time in six weeks. I fully admit that I have been eating with abandon. Ummm . . . I've gained six pounds. YIKES. Guess I'll have to update my ticker - and not in a good direction!!!

You know Mini! I have a confession for you! I started my first pre-op diet November 15. I lost 17 lbs, if I remember correctly. My surgery was cancelled... just prior to rolling me into the OR. IV in, meds on board, prayers said and boom! I returned home without a band. Scheduled the surgery for 3 more dates, 2 of which were cancelled due to problems with staffing. My heart sank. I ate and ate and ate. I gained in a matter of 2 months -- the 17 lbs back plus more! Much more! I had to start my second pre-op on the 15th of January. Instead I started it a week earlier -- According to Dr K, I lost 13 lbs with that one. But in reality, I lost 33lbs! I had gained 33lbs in a very very short time. Why? Because I lost myself - I was sad and scared that I would never get my Band. So that makes a tremendous amount of sense, doesn't it? Me, with a BMI over 60 - fearing not getting the band, ate like there was no tomorrow! It was stupid, BUT it was human, it was the behavior of a food addict. I knew what Dr. K's first consult weight was so I knew I had to get that extra weight off AND I had to lose more -- or he'd think I had not followed my pre-op diet.

I've never told anyone that! It was between me and me.

If you have to move your ticker, it's okay. <---- You move it -- you follow your pre-op, you lose and you have to move it again ----->. Then you get your Band and Honey, you'll be moving that baby again! AND this time in the right direction!

The band brought me back to reality! It hit me over the head. AND yet I still mess up, but I know what I need to do and what I can do to get back on that Bandwagon.

The band is there for us. We need it. It needs us.

AND we need one another.

thank you for being here... you make this little forum a much better place to be!

Love,

dee~

the pre-op diet is totally doable! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Your journey starts tomorrow! I AM So excited!

(I'm sending you lots of oxytocin!)

You know Mini! I have a confession for you! I started my first pre-op diet November 15. I lost 17 lbs, if I remember correctly. My surgery was cancelled... just prior to rolling me into the OR. IV in, meds on board, prayers said and boom! I returned home without a band. Scheduled the surgery for 3 more dates, 2 of which were cancelled due to problems with staffing. My heart sank. I ate and ate and ate. I gained in a matter of 2 months -- the 17 lbs back plus more! Much more! I had to start my second pre-op on the 15th of January. Instead I started it a week earlier -- According to Dr K, I lost 13 lbs with that one. But in reality, I lost 33lbs! I had gained 33lbs in a very very short time. Why? Because I lost myself - I was sad and scared that I would never get my Band. So that makes a tremendous amount of sense, doesn't it? Me, with a BMI over 60 - fearing not getting the band, ate like there was no tomorrow! It was stupid, BUT it was human, it was the behavior of a food addict. I knew what Dr. K's first consult weight was so I knew I had to get that extra weight off AND I had to lose more -- or he'd think I had not followed my pre-op diet.

I've never told anyone that! It was between me and me.

If you have to move your ticker, it's okay. <---- You move it -- you follow your pre-op, you lose and you have to move it again ----->. Then you get your Band and Honey, you'll be moving that baby again! AND this time in the right direction!

The band brought me back to reality! It hit me over the head. AND yet I still mess up, but I know what I need to do and what I can do to get back on that Bandwagon.

The band is there for us. We need it. It needs us.

AND we need one another.

thank you for being here... you make this little forum a much better place to be!

Love,

dee~

the pre-op diet is totally doable! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Your journey starts tomorrow! I AM So excited!

(I'm sending you lots of oxytocin!)

Thanks sweetums. You always know the right thing to say. And I won't tell anybody about the 33 lbs . . .

xoxoxo

Ahhhh . . . . just had a huge rush of oxytocin. Feel much better . . .