Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Wow, I feel as if I've been pouring out my life story to you guys lately, but you're all so supportive and kind, you make it easy to do so.

About 18 months ago my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was a fast growing type and he had to have pretty heavy duty treatment, but had been optimistic about his chances of beating it. He started having hip pain a month or so ago, and his oncologist did a bone scan Monday. The doctor said today that it looks like the cancer metastasized to the bone. This, of course, is very bad news as there's not much that can be done but to try to alleviate his pain.

My dad has been obese most of his life. His mother (also obese) died of breast cancer. His super morbidly obese sister had a malignant brain tumor and also had breast cancer at the time of her death at age 51. His obese brother died of liver cancer a few years ago, and his father died of lung cancer.

While it would be impossible to know if/whether their obesity was a factor in their cancer, it is certainly something to consider. This has just reminded me again that a) it is important to do this, and :rolleyes2: I am worth it. And so are all of you.

Mini~I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My heart is with you and I am holding your hand. You and your family are in my prayers. You are important and you ARE worth it. I am excited to be part of your new life journey.

Brandy -- How did your fill go, did you get one or not?

Mal -- So happy that Buster is doing better. It's no fun when are little ones are sick (animals or kiddos). We sure missed you last night.

Renee -- Where have you been? I still have some clothes for you (3 bags worth).

I missed RR and it sounds like you guys had a fantastic time. I've been traveling for work lately. I will definately be at Red Robin next month....the last RR get together before the BBQ. Boy how time flies.

Bahot....I really would like those clothes. What day would be the best to meet up?

Your pictures are an amazing transformation. The biggest difference is your smile. You look incredible. 70lbs in 6 months is awesome! I look forward to meeting you sometime at RR or the BBQ. YOu are an inspiration!

Hello everyone! Wow, this thread moves fast! I have been gone for a few days and I can barely keep up, so if I forget anyone, my apologies in advance!

Dee-That is AWESOME about your labs! :thumbup:What wonderful news! And I think I peed my pants about "The Fat Whisperer". You are so funny! Love the pics of Red Robin and the one of you waiting before surgery. I was not a big goof ball prior to surgery, I was scared witless being there by myself!

Mini-Thank you for humoring my nosiness and telling me your sons story. I know it is a very difficult thing to deal with as I have loved ones with mental illness also. I love that you teach your students about it-I think one of the biggest problems in society is the stigma attached to mental illness, and the more we educate people about it, the less it becomes. The irony is that most mentally ill people are incredibly bright-but people don't give them enough of a chance to see that! Wow, I wish I could come see Earley talk, that would be really fascinating. He is the only author I have ever been compelled to write to after reading his book. I thought he gave a very honest portrayal of mental illness and the challenges surrouding having a loved one suffering from it, and the problems with the system.

I am sorry to hear about your dad. Please know that I am sending prayers and love your way. I did have to chuckle about your statement about optimism because I work with a vascular surgeon who always lectures me about how bad it is to be too optimistic-"Heather, if you expect the worst then you are pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen." Then I tell him he is too grumpy and he needs to chill...:rolleyes2: (This is the vascular surgeon who is notorious for throwing equipment that is not functioning properly across the room and screaming...I finally figured out how to keep him in line...his dad was a my patient one weekend and I told on him to his dad for how he acts...haven't had a problem since! Who would have thought a 40 something year old man would still be so scared of daddy? Bad of me, I know, but I just couldn't resist!)

I also love what you asked the vet about cat & dog loving people...tender hearted. Is that what I am? :) Here I was beginning to think I was just one of those wacky animal hoarders! :biggrin2: Or running some kind of home for "special needs" labradors!

Mal-I am so glad Buster is feeling better! I have been worried about him! Really, I was driving back from Iowa City yesterday wondering how he was doing and praying he was on the mend! Poor buddy, he will be back to himself in no time. Although if he feels as cruddy as I did when I had pneumonia in Feb he has my sympathies!

Brandi-you are smokin hot and kicking the pants off of me at the 6 month mark!! You go girl!!

I went to the outlet mall yesterday and shopped in the non plus size section! I was so psyched! I went to my favorite, the Gap outlet, and kept having to take smaller sizes in the dressing room, which I don't think has ever happened to me at the Gap! I know what you gals mean about the mental aspect of things....I don't see myself getting smaller even though logically, I know I am, because I have gone from a size 20/22 to a size 14/16. It really is hard to wrap my brain around sometimes!

Hope this morning is finding everyone healthy and happy! Big floods in my neck of the woods. They just had to evacuate a bunch of people out of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, which is about an hour and twenty minutes away from me. It is unprecedented for Cedar Rapids! They had to evacuate a bunch of the hospitals! Dee, can you imagine what an absolute nightmare that would be? Especially with the ICU patients!:biggrin:

Mini: I don't think it is just a coincidence that we all love pets here. I think that people who are positive and supportive of other humans are also the compassionate ones who care for all living things. Frankly, I am always a little leery of anyone who doesn't have/care for animals. I think it says something about their personalities.

I always think that when these guys (Dollie, Scout, Tucker) pass on that I am not going to get another dog since losing them is so difficult. But then it is only seconds later that their big ol' eyes remind me of how I can't exist without one (or two).:rolleyes2:

See, I knew I would forget something in my overly long last post!

I totally agree with what you said about people that don't have pets...I am leery of them also. And if you don't like dogs you may as well forget it with me...I just find there to be something very wrong with someone that doesn't like dogs!

I love your UNO playing dog by the way! Too cute!

Lap-I forgot to tell you that I adore the name Georgia O'Kittee! Adorable!

PANTING...huff huff

HI FRIENDS. I went out yesterday for a first time BIG DAY OUT as in walking the streets of St. Pete and doing some all day outing. HUFF HUFF. But not as bad as before. Wow. So much more energy.

I'm down 1.7 pounds. Had that big loss last week so this week expected a lesser amount. Still rolling.

I'll post photos of my big outing.

HUGS TO ALL.

Patty

Bahot....I really would like those clothes. What day would be the best to meet up?

Renee -- Tuesday or Thursday works for me, if it works for you we could meet up for a light lunch. Let me know.

What's this new firends thing and how come we don't have any? It just popped up under our name and all of us have (0) friends. I have lots of friends and so does everyone here so I don't know what they are talking about.

Hi Munchkin. Thanks for the kind words. I laughed when said you were worried about being an animal hoarder. My husband has a new rule at our house . . . if I bring home a new animal, I have to trade in two of our existing pets. I guess it's a good thing that he keeps me in check. Otherwise I'd probably have a donkey living in the back yard and an otter in the bathtub.

Lap- good for you for using your time off to go walking about. Obviously I use mine to obsessively read this forum!!

I was worried about that but thankfully mine went back to "normal"...I am pretty diligent with the whole face washing, using lotion etc...don't know if this helped or not.

Thanks Munchkin!!! Your doing great as well.

My son is in Iowa right now with his dad and step mom...they are driving home tomorrow. I am a nervous wreck!

Hey Beautiful Bandsters! I am SOOO impressed with ALL of you. What an amazing transformation I see in you.

I am sorry I missed Brandy at the office yesterday. I think I may have been in the exam room when you came in and you were in when I came out. That whole fill experience was amazing. Dr. K and 3 students/observers, my sister in law and me in one tiny exam room but it was great. I am like all the rest of you - Dr. K is truly a caring person and I feel so blessed to have him as my doctor. I got 2.5 cc in my band. He was very careful and listened to me - looking me in the eye. My sister in law has had numerous operations because of a digestive disorder but she was really impressed with Dr. K. With all that I am still considering a fill center in the future but it has nothing to do with a bad situation with Dr. K. I got to the airport to come home at 2 pm yesterday and did not get to my house in Oklahoma until 2:45 am today. It was twice as expensive as my trip in May and a million times the stress with the airlines. I haven't decided yet but that may be what I need to do. However I would LOVE to see everyone at the Bar B Q. Dr. K even reminded me about it and said he was really looking forward to seeing everyone.

One more co-morbidity situation I faced being obese. I had uterine cancer in August '03. My doctor said even though I was overweight that it was unlikely the reason I was having problems. But when I had the biopsy it came back positive so I had the surgery. This is a very treatable and curable cancer if caught early and mine was. I am so sorry to hear of your father's cancer Mini. I am glad you have such a wonderful relationship with him. You must be a source of great joy for him.