Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi Everyone -

Todd, my son, was doing better later today, earlier, I was worried he'd never get better. He was overdosing on the pain meds, so they backed off, and now he want to eat and run around the hospital. I think they will release him tomorrow. It is so weird. He goes from unbelievable pain to everything being ok.

I am holding up. I didn't get to exercise today, but went yesterday. So, that was good. My eating was a lot better today then yesterday. I decided to eat what was healthier choices, skip the Cookies, which I go to in a crisis. It is good. There are real changes in my lifestyle.

Best wishes to all, more to come when I am not so brain dead.

Michelle

Dynamo~It's good tohear that Todd is feeling better, I sure hope they can scope him soon and find something to help him.

I too have reached for the Cookies a little too much (although I don't need a crisis). I decided to buy some ginger snaps...not as good, but mentally I think I am eating choco chip cookies???after two, I am done!

Today was my gym day and I didn't make it...booooo!

I hope tomorrow is a better day for Todd.

Take care!

Dynamo - so glad Todd is up and running around. Sure hope they can determine what is going on.

My unfill is going OK. I am toying with maybe needing more out. But I had no bp's today. So I am excited about that. I still don't feel 100%, hope to get rid of this crud.

Dee I am praying for you.

Love

Mare 5569

Mare~WOW, I am little worried about you. You have been under the weather for a long time. I can't imagine having to PB so much. Did Dr. K say anything about maybe some swelling or irritaion from being sick? Maybe you should get another unfill, just a littl bit and then when you are feeling better get another fill. Give yourself a little relief???

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care

Hey everyone! :smile: How's it going.

Question: Did anyone have second thoughts right before? I mean like 2 days before? lol. I have had several people comment on how I lost the 20lbs and maybe I should give it a go without. Asking me if I am sure. Yadda yadda.

I was sure. Now I am wishy washy. Again! lol

I KNOW I can lose it. That has never been an issue. It is the keeping it off. I am hoping the Band will keep me on track and keep it off. I guess I am so scared this isn't going to work either and now I am going to be 10,000 more in the hole.

Ack. Who knows what I am trying to say.

I think I am ready. My husband is 100% sure this is right. He says I have an obsessive personality. Says right now I am obsessed with weight loss so I am doing great... but once the shine wears off I will get re-obsessed with something else and devote all my energy there.

I think the money thing makes this the hardest freaking decision ever. Damn insurance! lol

Y'all can ignore my last post. Just freaking out a little. Again. Oye.

LA - I think we all freaked out just a bit. If you go back and read some of our posts right before surgery you will see very similar thoughts. I even ask Dr. K right before surgery if it was too late to change my mind. It is a big, expensive decision, but one that none of us are sorry we made, except when the band won't let us eat like we want too.

Hang in there, you will make it.

Mare 5569

LA -- Good luck Thursday! Last minute jitters are normal -- you're making a big committment to change and a big investment as well. Look back at my pre-op posts here. Major freak out, I'll tell ya. BTW, I had some very happy years in Tucson some 20+ years ago when my hubs was stationed at DMAFB. The people there are great.

Mal & Woofay -- My son is doing ok. He is not in school at the moment; I withdrew him because he wouldn't go and I couldn't continue paying the private school tuition when he wasn't attending and wouldn't do the work at home. On a more positive note, I've found a new therapist for him who will accept him and our insurance! I'm also working with a local agency trying to get him involved in some sort of part-time job, he needs some social interaction for sure.

Everyone have a great Tuesday and here's to all of us making healthy choices today!

So I had everything in place except the financing. I couldn't finalize that until one month before surgery, which was yesterday.

Now that I have the form I have cold feet, seeing it laid out like that. But you know what's really bugging me? One of the forms has spaces for four references per signer (my DH is co-signer). I haven't told four other people about this surgery. Some of the slots are for parents! I'm not going to tell mine! So now I'm wondering if I really need all of those references. If I do, then I'm sunk. I don't want to tell people just so I can put them on this application. Maybe they'll never actually call, but...I emailed back my loan rep to find out. Also, he didn't tell me that they do automatic drafts from your checking account, which I don't like at all.

I've been worrying that the financing was what was going to sink me.

I do have a back-up...I can increase the credit line easily on one of my credit cards. But the interest rate is worse. I feel more comfortable somehow doing that, though, because it's a bill I already have getting bigger, instead of a new bill. If that makes any sense. :smile:

And there I was feeling pretty good. I haven't officially started my pre-op diet but I have started tracking my food on Spark People and weaning myself off so many carbs. I cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer this weekend so we are eating up all of the unhealthier things.

LA, congrats on your awesome pre-op weight loss! I think it's probably normal to get cold feet a few days before surgery. It's a big deal. And I can understand why you might think about it when you've lost 20 lbs. But if you're like me then you know that the 20 lbs will come right back plus more if you don't do something more drastic than just "dieting."

I too am obsessive, it's hard for me to focus on work, I'd rather read the boards instead! The money issue is HUGE for me because I feel guilty about spending it all on me.

But I know you can do it! So close, I am so excited for you!

I also watched "How to Look Good Naked" and it made me cry a little. I'm glad that there's a show like that. :smile:

Dear L.A.

Wow do I know what you are feeling like - I wanted to back out after they put the I.V. in my hand!!

For me its the same thing, I know I can lose the weight if I torture myself, but only 5% of people who every lose a significant amount of weight through diet KEEP it off. I just want a good tool to help, so it can stop controlling my life.

I used to be thin - and I swear, that was my whole life - working out and starving myself -

Now I have a husband, a child, and a job - i want to be able to enjoy life without my weight controlling it. I feel and hope that this will give me the boost and motivation i need to make good choices and lead a healthier lifestyle

Congrats to you, I will be thinking about you.

Your surgery is at Aurora, right? Nice Place!

hey woofay, mal, tied2bfit, lydia, others

thanks for the nice comments earlier!

i had a great time last thursday at red robin...

i just thought i would post just to lower down the estrogen level on this thread! LOL:biggrin:

viri~ I've heard of some people that put their surgery on a no interest card and transfering to another after a year and so on???

How ever you decide to pay, you deserve this, you deserve to be healthy and happy (Dynamo tells me this all the time and I try to tell myself at least once a day)...we truly do deserve this after all the diets and losing and gaining, spending so many days, months, years thinking about how we will be able to lose and maintain. The band gives us that tool to help us.:eek:

LA~YES...I had second thoughts, mostly mine were about spending the money on myself and of course "will this be yet another failed attempt".

While I was shopping for some of my post op stuff at a health food store, I was asking about some Protein and the lady was asking me some questions and I told her that I was having the LB surgery and she about fell tot he floor! She went on and on about how I didn't look like I needed to have surgery. That put doubts in my head and second guessing the surgery. I thought to myself that I had been on the Atkins/low carb diet (pre-op) and that I was doing well...could I do it this time, could I lose it AND maintain THIS TIME??? Well...I was mentally prepared, the timing was right and of course I found Dr. K, not to mention I had already sent the check off to Dr. K. anyway, I did it and I am very happy that I did and you will be too!!!:smile:

Thank you Mal, I know that you're right, it's just so very hard to convince myself of that. I guess that just shows how low my self-esteem has gotten, I don't feel like I'm worth it at all.

I can't get a no interest card unfortunately -- I have tried just about everything to come up with the money that I can think of (short of asking my parents but that is just not an option with me at all). So last resort, here I am. Raised the limit on my credit card and this is what I will use. Hopefully I can consolidate in some way or do something else to get down the interest/balance in the future. It's just money, right? :cool:

viri~ I've heard of some people that put their surgery on a no interest card and transfering to another after a year and so on???

How ever you decide to pay, you deserve this, you deserve to be healthy and happy (Dynamo tells me this all the time and I try to tell myself at least once a day)...we truly do deserve this after all the diets and losing and gaining, spending so many days, months, years thinking about how we will be able to lose and maintain. The band gives us that tool to help us.:eek:

Hey All,

I'm having my surgery Jan 30th and while I had good feel from the office, I'm still really nervous (just the whole am I going to fail at this fear). So far everyone at the office has been great and gone out of their way to make me feel as comfortable as possible. They let me email them questions and it's been a great help. Surgery is 2 weeks away and counting. I'm nervous but ready.