Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I am quite sure that my face is the only place on my body that has lost weight.

LOL...25 lbs!!!...you wouldn't have a head!!! You look great!

Mal - I am thinking of you. Are you oozing, in pain, or feeling punk? I hope you'll be able to join us next Wednesday at Red Robin at 7pm.

Thanks, no oozing, no pain, I feel great! I plan on being there Wednesday at 7:00!! I just hope I have good news on Friday! I like your new picture too! I am going to have to try and get one, mine is really tiny.

I met with my general physician yestreday, and was told that he didn't think I should get a lapband. Do you have to have your GP's approval for Doctor Kirshenbaum?

Why did your Dr. say that? I was a self pay, so I am not sure if you need your GP's approval, I'm guessing it would depend on your insurance if you are going that route. Self payers do not need the approval and the process is fairly quick. Dr. K and his staff are amazing. I wish you well on your journey!!

Hi, 8675309. I too was selfpay, so I didn't need anyone's approval either. However, Dr. K sent over paperwork to my GP to put in my medical file, like any surgeon would. I called my GP to see if they received it and the office congratulated me on having it done. They told me they were looking forward to watching me on my new life. So, I can't figure out why your GP wouldn't recommend it. Maybe you don't meet the general criteria to have the band done? Is your BMI higher than 40? Do you have other medical problems related to your weight? Have you been overweight for more than 5 years or have a history of weight loss and gains? Even if you choose to go the insurance route, I don't think you have to have "permission" of your GP. Call your insurance to see what you need to do. My insurance stated flatly that they do not cover any kind of WLS. So, that was my answer...heehee! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Hi girls!

I finally feel like I am back to the land of the living. The past week has been spent in a pain killer haze. I discovered that Percocet gives me the munchies and I weighed myself this morning and damned if I didn't gain a few pounds! I had PT yesterday morning then came in and worked a half day. I was in a horrible mood and was hating life. I just wanted to go home and take a nap! After work I went home and took some pain meds and napped for a couple of hours then went to a photo shoot for roller derby for our 2008 calendar. I just hung around and watched for an hour. It was nice to be around my girls! I took Vicodin last night instead of Percocet and I feel like a different person today! No more Percocet for me!!

My knee is doing fine. Still a lot of swelling but that's to be expected I guess. I don't have too much pain, it's mostly just stiff and achy.

Thanks for all your kind words and for thinking about me! I can't wait to see you all next week!

Mal... I am thinking of you and can't wait to hear the outcome on Friday!

Woof... LOVE the new pic! You go girl!

Dynamo.... You are so strong!! I am proud of you for getting through a rough weekend!

Morning!

I can't tell you how excited I am to meet you all. I am doing my best to be there next Wednesday. My flight leaves Tampa first one out. I should be in Denver by noon. Need to call and see if I am going to the office or to Parker for the fill.

(((Someone tell me what that fill with Dr. K will be like)))

I have heard Red Robin is a great place for burgers. We don't have any where I live. Anyplace is fine just so we can gather.

All of you are such strong women. I love that!

Talk soon.

Patty

Morning!

I can't tell you how excited I am to meet you all. I am doing my best to be there next Wednesday. My flight leaves Tampa first one out. I should be in Denver by noon. Need to call and see if I am going to the office or to Parker for the fill.

(((Someone tell me what that fill with Dr. K will be like)))

I have heard Red Robin is a great place for burgers. We don't have any where I live. Anyplace is fine just so we can gather.

All of you are such strong women. I love that!

Talk soon.

Patty

As far as I know Dr K only does fills in his office in Aurora. A fill with him is pretty easy. He will have you lie on the exam table and poke around on your belly to see if he can feel your port. If he can't feel it he will use ultrasound to locate it (little wand he presses on your belly with some ultrasound gel) Once he locates your port he cleans the area with iodine (bzk) He then puts sterile gloves on and inserts the needle into the port. Sometimes he has to poke you a couple of times before he gets it just right. I can feel a little "pop" once he accesses my port. Once the needle is in the port he will have you sit on the side of the table (I choose to stand because the needle hurts my fat roll) Don't look down! The needle is pretty big and it freaked me out to be standing there with a needle sticking out of me like an arrow. He will have you drink a glass of Water while he adds saline until you feel restriction. Restriction is a very tricky bitch if you've never felt it before. You are looking for the feeling of "gurgling" in the back of your throat as you feel the water go down. You want the water to drain slowly into your pouch.

I hope this helps! Good luck and I can't wait to meet you!

Why did your Dr. say that?

Is your BMI higher than 40? Do you have other medical problems related to your weight? Have you been overweight for more than 5 years or have a history of weight loss and gains? Even if you choose to go the insurance route, I don't think you have to have "permission" of your GP. Call your insurance to see what you need to do.

My BMI hovers in 36-38 range. But, I have high blood pressure and they can't seem to get it under control.

I've been overweight for more than 5 years, but not anywhere near this heavy. I seem to be putting on 10-15 pounds a year. I am really short, 5' 1-ish" and am around 200 pounds.

Well - Happy Wednesday!

Drews - so glad you are out of the Percocet fog. Yeah for Vicodin. Glad to hear you are up and at 'em. The PT is so important for your knee. I have a friend who didn't want to do the PT because of expense and she didn't really recover well. You are wise to follow through. Can't wait to see you next week.

mal - I have my fingers crossed for you. Whatever Dr. K has to do, you know it will be ok. He's the best. Hugs. When is your appt?

Everyone - Can't wait to meet everyone at the Red Robin, next Wednesday, June 6th. So far I think that Mal, Lap Dancer, Woofay, Drews, are definitely coming. Let me know so I can get a big enough table - don't be shy. Red Robin isn't deluxe dining, but it has a variety of food and drinks, and this one is easy to find. Whatever about the food, it is the comraderie that I am looking forward to.

hugs,

Michelle

Mal... I am thinking of you and can't wait to hear the outcome on Friday!

Thanks Drews! I am happy to hear that you are up about! A calendar... did you feel like a model? That is soo coooool!! Hey if you are selling them, I'd love to get one!

8675309~ Well, it sounds like it would benifit you. Did your Doc give you a reason as to why he thought this might not be for you? He must have had his reasons, hope he shared them with you.

Drews~ so glad your knee is doing okay.

Michelle~ do you know if Angie is going?

Angie~ You gotta go! :confused:

Hi Everyone,;) I am sooooooooooooooo envious of everyone getting together! No, i'm really glad to hear that you are able to get together and support each other, just wish I could join in. I know I have to visit online more:D I have been busy looking for a job and taking care of myself. I signed up with a Dr. an hour away for fills for a year, I can't ever be in that situation again being overfilled and no where to go. So unfortuantly that means I won't be visiting Denver for the next year at least. After being unfilled on April 18th I got a fill of 1cc on may 1st and another of .5cc about a week ago. I didn't feel any differant after the 1st one and just now am feeling alittle restriction with this last one. This Dr. is VERY conservative with his fills, almost too much, last month I only lost 1lb in 3 weeks and his nurse said I will have his fill kit here incase he decides to give you a fill! Well there was no arguement he gave me my fill, but not without a bunch of questions. He takes baby steps, he decides what he is going to put in for a fill, I have a feeling it is the same for everyone. He doesn't want to see me until June 25th, even if I wouldn't have felt any restriction, he wants us to get used to the feeling of the band and work with it, he mentioned that some people get too full and end up with problems or even gain weight on soft foods and drinks. I hope this works out for me because I would be mad if I didn't lose much and was told to wait another month. But I am glad I have someone close if a fill becomes too tight. ***********************************SHESHA, I'm so sorry to hear about your port, hope what ever restriction you do have can hold you over. ***********************************MAL, You certainly have had you're share of problems, hope you get good news on Friday. ***************************************DYNAMO, Didn't you have a Fluid build up there and found out when you went for a fill??? **************************** Hi to everyone else, LAPDANCER, DREWS, ANGIE, WOOFAY, TATOR, MARJON, and NEW LAPBANDERS! SUNNYSEA

sunnysea - sorry but I understand why you won't be coming back, but you will be with us in spirit. I did have a serus pocket that Dr. k hit when i had my fill, it spirted out and that was then end of that. I am doing well, not losing fast, but doing well. It is great to hear from you, even tho' you live far away, we all love you.

Hugs,

Good morning, all! Soooo good to hear from you, SunnySea! I hope this new doctor is good to you and it works out!

Angie! Where are you?? You are going, right?

Well, I'm on my way to have a crown put on that last tooth I had root canal done to. Because I just don't think that I have spent enough money on my mouth this year....heehee!!!

My scale went down again...yeah! I know, I'm not supposed to visit it that often, it was an accident. (School's just out, and I've heard that one a lot lately!)

Have a great one!