Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Autoimmune Issues and VSG?

That would be really nice to have

I messaged Alex about getting a forum dedicated to autoimmune sleevers. I never got a response :/

I think we have one started right here :-)

I was sleeved 6/26 and have mod-severe RA, hypothyroid, planters faciitis, metabolic syndrome and sleep apnea. I am "pre-diabetic" and my cholesterals jump around.....I gained 11 pounds Water weight in hospital, surgery weight was 322, when released on Friday it was 333, as of tonight (Tuesday) I weigh 314!! Lost the Water weight plus 8 more pounds in 4 days! That is crazy! So far I have not taken my RA or thyroid medicine, and have no related pains yet. I have a call into my PCP to ask if I can crush my synthroid, since pharmacist said to check with her on that one...so far no answer....I was told to wait a few weeks before I continue my Enbrel injector Pen, until my incisions heal, and I may have to switch to injectable methotrexate at that time since I take 8 tablets at once. I am hoping and praying my RA might actually go into remission like others have....I have had daily pain from it for 4.5 years since it hit, a break would be nice, lol.......I only take my surgical pain med at bedtime now and feel pretty "normal" all day, whatever that really means, lol...I get to drive tomorrow!! Going to see a movie -No popcorn or soda though!!

Prior to surgery, I took all of meds up to the day before except the Enbrel and methotrexate.....I stopped them one week prior per my surgeons directions. So I have not had my RA meds for 2 weeks, with no problems so far, knock on wood....

I only had to do the pre-op diet for 2 weeks, but I did it for 3 weeks to get used to it. I had 2 Protein shakes during the day and one nutritious meal in the evening. I gave up sofas and caffeine then too. Had to wean myself off caffeine over a 2 week period prior to starting my pre op diet though, a little at a time to avoid withdrawal and headaches. I did not have a weight loss (amount of pounds) requirement luckily.

How is everyone else doing with your autoimmune diseases post surgery? Any issues pre-surgery? Things you have to change? Questions? :-)

I was sleeved 6/26 and have mod-severe RA' date=' hypothyroid, planters faciitis, metabolic syndrome and sleep apnea. I am "pre-diabetic" and my cholesterals jump around.....I gained 11 pounds Water weight in hospital, surgery weight was 322, when released on Friday it was 333, as of tonight (Tuesday) I weigh 314!! Lost the Water weight plus 8 more pounds in 4 days! That is crazy! So far I have not taken my RA or thyroid medicine, and have no related pains yet. I have a call into my PCP to ask if I can crush my synthroid, since pharmacist said to check with her on that one...so far no answer....I was told to wait a few weeks before I continue my Enbrel injector Pen, until my incisions heal, and I may have to switch to injectable methotrexate at that time since I take 8 tablets at once. I am hoping and praying my RA might actually go into remission like others have....I have had daily pain from it for 4.5 years since it hit, a break would be nice, lol.......I only take my surgical pain med at bedtime now and feel pretty "normal" all day, whatever that really means, lol...I get to drive tomorrow!! Going to see a movie -No popcorn or soda though!!

Prior to surgery, I took all of meds up to the day before except the Enbrel and methotrexate.....I stopped them one week prior per my surgeons directions. So I have not had my RA meds for 2 weeks, with no problems so far, knock on wood....

I only had to do the pre-op diet for 2 weeks, but I did it for 3 weeks to get used to it. I had 2 Protein shakes during the day and one nutritious meal in the evening. I gave up sofas and caffeine then too. Had to wean myself off caffeine over a 2 week period prior to starting my pre op diet though, a little at a time to avoid withdrawal and headaches. I did not have a weight loss (amount of pounds) requirement luckily.

How is everyone else doing with your autoimmune diseases post surgery? Any issues pre-surgery? Things you have to change? Questions? :-)[/quote']

I had surgery on 5/22. I went off all my RA meds for 2 months prior (I got sick and then by the time I was better it was time to get then out if my system) I am 6 weeks out and still off my Remicade infusion, methotrexate, Folic acid, and naproxen. Unfortunately, the past couple days my hands have been slightly swollen, so it's probably about time I go back on everything. I just don't want to! It's so nice not having to take a million pills in the morning!

How is everyone else doing with your autoimmune diseases post surgery? Any issues pre-surgery? Things you have to change? Questions? :-)

I have been doing great. Was sleeved on 2/26 and down almost 70lbs. It is amazing how much better my joints hurt. Still have morning aches and stiffness from the fibro, but I don't think that will ever go away.

I had a minor ms flare up in late may to eat June. But I think that's partially due to me not being 100% diligent with my Vitamins. An absolute must for autoimmune diseases.

It is amazing how much weight loss can help improve symptoms. Not sure if there is any medical studies to back up drastic weight loss and improvement in autoimmune symptoms, or if this is sort of a placebo effect, but this surgery has helped me so much!!!

What, if any, additional supplements do you take for your autoimmune issues?

As for an update, I'm still awaiting a surgery date. I finished all preop requirements last Thursday, and I'm waiting for the OK from Aetna. :/. I'm ready!!

My ms has decided to act up. Not 100% sure what caused it, but now I get to do steroid infusions.

Oh yay....

My ms has decided to act up. Not 100% sure what caused it' date=' but now I get to do steroid infusions.

Oh yay....[/quote']

Sorry to hear that, hope it stops soon

Solu-medrol doesn't mix with the sleeve too well. Make my tiny little tummy very upset...

I too have RA and I take 9 methotrexate once a week plus Enbrel once a week. I have been wondering when I will need to stop. I guess I better call my doc and find out! I am very leery of being off the meds because recently, due to a misdiagnosis, I was off all meds for 3 months (they thought I had lyme disease, not RA), and even being off the meds for just 3 months, I had some pretty serious knee damage. Not wanting to compound that for sure. I was also in excruciating pain and bed-ridden, and I'm afraid of that happening again if I have to come off the meds.

But yes, definitely one of the main motivators for me to consider the sleeve. I am 5'6 and weigh 230 lbs which is more than I have ever weighed in my life, and I firmly believe a good part of why I cant lose weight like a normal person is because of the RA meds. Of course, then the weight makes it worse on my joints and the vicious cycle continues.

So keeping my fingers, toes, eyes, and legs crossed that the sleeve reduces some of the RA symptoms and that I can at least reduce my meds, and who knows, maybe get off the Enbrel?

A girl can dream.

Had sleeve 6/18 doing good but my big toe nails hurt ..was taking methoxrate and stoppéd 3 weeks b4 surgery...still not on yet, psoris have à few scales poping up but not bad...anyone big goes nails hurt, i cant stand the sheet to touch them either..its weird never had this before and it HURTS only when its touched...

What' date=' if any, additional supplements do you take for your autoimmune issues?

As for an update, I'm still awaiting a surgery date. I finished all preop requirements last Thursday, and I'm waiting for the OK from Aetna. :/. I'm ready!![/quote']

At this point, 19 days post op, I take my synthroid (break it in half and take each half with a sip of milk), a chewable multi Vitamin, a chewy Iron, and a chewy Calcium. I just restarted my Enbrel injections last Friday since my incisions have healed, and my ankles were starting to hurt again, although the swelling they have had for several years is gone! I have lost 18# since surgery, 26# including pre op weight loss.

Hope this helps!!

I have Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. I am on a horse-sized dose of Remicaid, and voltaren daily. I am on the OR table tomorrow for the sleeve.

I will certainly know more about this soon. I have high hopes because the autoimmune disorder is killing me. Constant discomfort and very often pain. I know that weight and diet won't fix this alone, but I am hoping that a major reduction in weight will be helpful.

The only thing I am nervous about is how, if at all, the medicine will impact my healing and how my body will react to it once I re-start it after surgery.

I am about 8 weeks post op and I have Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed by one Rhuemy with RA and another said I don't have RA, so I'm kind of in limbo on that. The original Rheumy said my symptoms matched RA but I only ever had one blood test that came back with a high Rhuematoid Factor. After that no markers of inflamation. She put me on Plaquenil for 9 months or so but it never helped so I stopped it. Dr. feels my body hasn't really figured out what's going on but my symptoms indicate that I may have more issues down the road. So for now I just take Savella for the fibro which does help some. The pain I have always managed with ibuprofen.

After surgery, I didn't have any fibro pain or symptoms for 4-5 weeks. Then I started getting the same knee, shoulder pain and some achyness like before. Only now I can't take ibuprofen. Thankfully it hasn't been quite as bad and I can manage it. I really think the 43 pounds I've lost helps with that. I plan to see the doctor for some pain med that I can take with the sleeve (tylenol does nothing for me). I really started to wonder if I have some kind of food sensitivity because I was really eating a limited diet until 4 weeks post-op. Maybe I started eating the offending food again (gluten??). I don't know. Just a theory.

Had sleeve 6/18 doing good but my big toe nails hurt ..was taking methoxrate and stoppéd 3 weeks b4 surgery...still not on yet' date=' psoris have à few scales poping up but not bad...anyone big goes nails hurt, i cant stand the sheet to touch them either..its weird never had this before and it HURTS only when its touched...[/quote']

Sorry your toe nails hurt....I have not heard of that but someone here might have, good luck!!