Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No More Advil.....EVER!

Thanks for your feedback. Would you agree that the Diclofenac in pill form is going to be very hard on the stomach for any long term use? I have read that longer use then 10 days is even an issue. You can tell me I am blowing smoke. I would like to hear that because if Dicoflenac pill in 75 mg is safe for daily use, I would prefer to use it. I do not want to burn a hole in my stomach though. I am sure you get that. :)

I used Diclofenac orally for years and years with no issues. I didn't take it daily - I did take Naproxin daily prior to having my knees replaced. Diclofenac is an old and safe drug - I have worked as a nurse for 24 years in both inpatient and outpatient settings, and have not seen anyone have serious reactions to diclofenac. Is your bariatric surgeon ok with you using NSAIDs on a daily basis?

I also am reading these Patches also cause stomach issues? How is this possible if you apply one, to say, the back area. It clearly stays intestinal or stomach bleeding as a possible side effect. Strange!

When you read the drug information online, the manufacturers are very careful to cover themselves with lots and lots of warnings. Using a patch rather than a pill greatly decreases the issues with stomach erosion, because you are avoiding what is called first pass, which means the medication does not have to pass through the stomach and gut to reach the bloodstream. But, you can still absorb the medication systemically via the patch, although it would be a much less amount, so there is still a risk. It is just a much smaller risk.

During ur preop diet theres a period in which u stop taking ALL medications cold turkey, it also helped me not build a tolerance to the better pain meds when I was in the hospital. My doctor cleared me for nsaids after 3 months, but honestly like everyone else has said I'm never in pain anymore, every so often when I do get a headache I just take Tylenol and it actually does help right away, when before I used to laugh at Tylenol bc it didn't do crap for me whatsoever lol

I used Diclofenac orally for years and years with no issues. I didn't take it daily - I did take Naproxin daily prior to having my knees replaced. Diclofenac is an old and safe drug - I have worked as a nurse for 24 years in both inpatient and outpatient settings' date=' and have not seen anyone have serious reactions to diclofenac. Is your bariatric surgeon ok with you using NSAIDs on a daily basis?[/quote']

Yes, he said OK after month 6 with a PPI.

Just found this..."TransAct® anti-inflammatory Patches For 12hr Relief from Muscle and Joint Pain. TransAct® is an anti-inflammatory patch that provides 12 hours of uninterrupted relief from muscle and joint pain. Transact contains an anti-inflammatory medication, Flurbiprofen, which is evenly dispersed throughout the patch and penetrates the skin going directly to the source of pain."

http://transactpatch.com/

I just stumbled across the diclofenac patch while researching non oral NSAID alternatives. I have diclofenac in oral form' date=' but it is known to be really hard on the stomach for anyone, sleeve or not. For this reason I am extremely cautious about taking it at all.

This is an adhesive patch that can be applied to an area for up to 12 hours. This sounds perfect as we can get the effects of an NSAID while avoiding any GI issues.

I am going to talk to my doctor about this because it is prescription only. I wonder why he did not tell me about this, especially after I expressed my concerns about taking a high does of IBUProfen orally.

Has any one used these and know their effectiveness? I am so excited as this might provide son real relief without risking the stomach.[/quote']

I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and my surgeon approved the flector patch (NSAID 12hr pain patch) it worked wonders!!

I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and my surgeon approved the flector patch (NSAID 12hr pain patch) it worked wonders!!

Great - thanks for the affirmation. I got a prescription for these today and have high hopes for them!!

With you being a runner and crossfitter' date=' I would STRONGLY recommend trying the Stronger Faster Healthier fish oil. When taking a fish oil the biggest thing to consider is the ammount of EPA and DHA. SFH fish oil has 3100mg per teaspoon. They recommend athletes take 1-2 tsp and people with inflammation to take 2-3 tsp a day. That would be 6200 to 9300mg of EPA and DHA. So you could put that into perspective as to what you are currently taking. It is an AMAZING product along with the Protein powders. I HIGHLY recommend them too. I use the chocolate Recovery formula after workouts and have recently started using the chocolate Fortified to get in extra Protein since surgery. I have to admit even though they taste pretty simmilar, I don't like the Fortified as much as it has something in it (maybe the cherry powder) that doesn't mix in. It's kind of grainy or something and settles at the bottom of my shaker jar. Anyway, hope this is helpful. Our crossfit coaches are a big supporter of their products for good reason. Here is a link to the SFH website. http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/products/omega_3-oil/10_oz_so3_super_concentrate_om

I have been taking the chocolate super Omega 3 for a couple days. Taste is like drinking vegetable oil. Bleh. There is a hint of chocolate. I hope to see some results after a couple weeks of this. Good thing is cross fit is not slowing me down yet, so supplements must be helping out.

On a related note at my month 9 followup on Tuesday this week, the doctor confirmed use of IBUprofin 800 mg up to 2400 mg a day would be safe and that I should try and take PPI with it. It is really interesting how the doctors can be so different in their support for NSAID after surgery.

Considering that doctor responses lie all over the spectrum, I would definitely go with the recommendation of your doctor, to make you feel more at ease and to be safe (according to the doctor).

I have been taking the chocolate super Omega 3 for a couple days. Taste is like drinking vegetable oil. Bleh. There is a hint of chocolate. I hope to see some results after a couple weeks of this. Good thing is cross fit is not slowing me down yet, so supplements must be helping out.

On a related note at my month 9 followup on Tuesday this week, the doctor confirmed use of IBUprofin 800 mg up to 2400 mg a day would be safe and that I should try and take PPI with it. It is really interesting how the doctors can be so different in their support for NSAID after surgery.

Considering that doctor responses lie all over the spectrum, I would definitely go with the recommendation of your doctor, to make you feel more at ease and to be safe (according to the doctor).

I hate that you got the chocolate. I have heard the chocolate and the vanilla taste the worst but I guess whatever flavor you get it is still going to be oily. The good thing about SFH fish oil is that you don't get the nasty fishy burps. I take mine in the morning in a medicine cup. I put a sip of Water in my mouth and hold it there while I put the fish oil in and drink them together followed by another sip of Water. It seems to take away the oilyness of it so that it doesn't coat your mouth. The other thing that I used to do is mix it in your Protein shake if you have one. I have always gotten the mint fish oil and mixed it with my chocolate Protein Drink. Was very good. My crossfit gym didn't have the mint in stock when I needed it last week so I got the new tangerine flavor and it is good as well. How much are you taking? You should be taking at least 1tsp (5ml) or up to 2tsp (10ml) per day. I might try the 2tsp until your inflammatin gets under control. Give it time though. I swear it works. Good luck! ;)

I hate that you got the chocolate. I have heard the chocolate and the vanilla taste the worst but I guess whatever flavor you get it is still going to be oily. The good thing about SFH fish oil is that you don't get the nasty fishy burps. I take mine in the morning in a medicine cup. I put a sip of Water in my mouth and hold it there while I put the fish oil in and drink them together followed by another sip of Water. It seems to take away the oilyness of it so that it doesn't coat your mouth. The other thing that I used to do is mix it in your Protein shake if you have one. I have always gotten the mint fish oil and mixed it with my chocolate Protein Drink. Was very good. My crossfit gym didn't have the mint in stock when I needed it last week so I got the new tangerine flavor and it is good as well. How much are you taking? You should be taking at least 1tsp (5ml) or up to 2tsp (10ml) per day. I might try the 2tsp until your inflammatin gets under control. Give it time though. I swear it works. Good luck! ;)

I have been taking 1 tsp per serving per day, but will up it to 2 or 3 tsp a day per inflammation and per very active with running and cross fit. Thanks again!

I hate that you got the chocolate. I have heard the chocolate and the vanilla taste the worst but I guess whatever flavor you get it is still going to be oily. The good thing about SFH fish oil is that you don't get the nasty fishy burps. I take mine in the morning in a medicine cup. I put a sip of Water in my mouth and hold it there while I put the fish oil in and drink them together followed by another sip of Water. It seems to take away the oilyness of it so that it doesn't coat your mouth. The other thing that I used to do is mix it in your Protein shake if you have one. I have always gotten the mint fish oil and mixed it with my chocolate Protein drink. Was very good. My crossfit gym didn't have the mint in stock when I needed it last week so I got the new tangerine flavor and it is good as well. How much are you taking? You should be taking at least 1tsp (5ml) or up to 2tsp (10ml) per day. I might try the 2tsp until your inflammatin gets under control. Give it time though. I swear it works. Good luck! ;)

The first time I read "I hate..." Above in your response I was thinking where is this anger coming from? By the time I finished reading though, I could tell you were emphasizing in a light humor. Goes to show some linguistic semantics are lost in written form if not careful on both the writer and reader. I think you are telling me I should have gone with Mint instead of chocolate. Will do next time when I order.

Question for you. The FDA says the safe injection of Omega 3 is 3 grams a day or 1 tsp of this super Omega 3 tonic. If I take 2-3 grams or 2-3 tsp a day to deal with inflammation (oh, the soreness Crossfit unleashes on me early in the morning the next day), will I be in the unsafe zone and be exposed to the Omega 3 toxity? I do not mind most of the side effects like fishy breath, fishy mouth or even diarrhea , but increased weakened immune system, bleeding, depression and bipolar onset concerns me.

See side effects here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html

What do you think?

Wow, fish oil treats a lot of conditions.

The first time I read "I hate..." Above in your response I was thinking where is this anger coming from? By the time I finished reading though, I could tell you were emphasizing in a light humor. Goes to show some linguistic semantics are lost in written form if not careful on both the writer and reader. I think you are telling me I should have gone with Mint instead of chocolate. Will do next time when I order.

Question for you. The FDA says the safe injection of Omega 3 is 3 grams a day or 1 tsp of this super Omega 3 tonic. If I take 2-3 grams or 2-3 tsp a day to deal with inflammation (oh, the soreness Crossfit unleashes on me early in the morning the next day), will I be in the unsafe zone and be exposed to the omega 3 toxity? I do not mind most of the side effects like fishy breath, fishy mouth or even diarrhea , but increased weakened immune system, bleeding, depression and bipolar onset concerns me.

See side effects here:

http://www.nlm.nih.g...atural/993.html

What do you think?

Wow, fish oil treats a lot of conditions.

Sorry about the use of "hate" in my last response. haha Wish I would have conveyed at some point before your purchase that I had heard that the chocolate and vanilla were the least desirable flavors.

So, by no means am I a doctor or a medical professional (unless you concider me qualified to speak as such being that I am a dental assistant! hahah). The wesite that you posted has great information about the positive effects of fish oil on the body. The one thing I don't really understand about this article is that it contradicts itself with regards to depression/bipolar. In the beginning of the article is says that "Taking fish oil with the usual treatments for bipolar disorder seems to improve symptoms of depression and increase the length of time between episodes of depression". But at the end of the article is says "Taking fish oil might increase some of the symptoms of this condition (bipolar/depression)". You have to pay special attention to the adverbs they use like "might". It might increase symptoms. In most of the discussion about fish oil that I have read or heard it has always boasted that fish oil improves depression. I have never heard that it makes it worse or "causes" it.

As for your other concerns, I have never heard anything about it supressing immune systems. IMO I have never been healthier since taking fish oil but in the same sense, I have never been healthier period! I Crossfit, run, bike, hike, walk, eat healthier, etc. I think if you have the expectation that you can sit of your butt, take fish oil and its going to be a cure all, you'de be sadly mistaken. If you were someone like that (which I know you're not), and/or if you had immune issues like the article talks about "High doses of fish oil might also reduce the immune system’s activity, reducing the body’s ability to fight infection. This is a special concern for people taking medications to reduce their immune system’s activity (organ transplant patients, for example) and the elderly" there might be more of an issue to consider.

And last, as for the bleeding, "Taking more than 3 grams per day might keep blood from clotting and can increase the chance of bleeding". Again, they use the word "might". From what I know, fish oil does keep the blood from clotting to a point which is why I had to stop taking it before my surgery. But it does not keep it from clotting to the point that if you get cut or something you are going to bleed out. Even in this article it talks about the benefit of taking it during certain surgeries "Reducing the risk of blood vessel re-blockage after heart bypass surgery or “balloon” catheterization (balloon angioplasty). Fish oil appears to decrease the rate of re-blockage up to 26% when given for one month before the procedure and continued for one month thereafter. Apparently, taking fish oil before surgery is important. When taken for less than one month before angioplasty, fish oil doesn’t help protect the blood vessel against closing down." Just one example.

So, as for your question about taking more than the 1tsp, I wouldn't be concerned for a certain duration to treat your inflammation (or to see if it at least helps). Would I take high does long term? If only the high doeses (2tsp) help with your inflammation and the 1tsp didn't, I would talk to your Dr. about the long term pros and cons of using it for treatment.

I know that was a long winded response for that short opinion at the end but I hope it helps to support my reasoning and thought process. :)

Sorry about the use of "hate" in my last response. haha Wish I would have conveyed at some point before your purchase that I had heard that the chocolate and vanilla were the least desirable flavors.

So' date=' by no means am I a doctor or a medical professional (unless you concider me qualified to speak as such being that I am a dental assistant! hahah). The wesite that you posted has great information about the positive effects of fish oil on the body. The one thing I don't really understand about this article is that it contradicts itself with regards to depression/bipolar. In the beginning of the article is says that "Taking fish oil with the usual treatments for bipolar disorder seems to improve symptoms of depression and increase the length of time between episodes of depression". But at the end of the article is says "Taking fish oil might increase some of the symptoms of this condition (bipolar/depression)". You have to pay special attention to the adverbs they use like "might". It might increase symptoms. In most of the discussion about fish oil that I have read or heard it has always boasted that fish oil improves depression. I have never heard that it makes it worse or "causes" it.

As for your other concerns, I have never heard anything about it supressing immune systems. IMO I have never been healthier since taking fish oil but in the same sense, I have never been healthier period! I Crossfit, run, bike, hike, walk, eat healthier, etc. I think if you have the expectation that you can sit of your butt, take fish oil and its going to be a cure all, you'de be sadly mistaken. If you were someone like that (which I know you're not), and/or if you had immune issues like the article talks about "High doses of fish oil might also reduce the immune system’s activity, reducing the body’s ability to fight infection. This is a special concern for people taking medications to reduce their immune system’s activity (organ transplant patients, for example) and the elderly" there might be more of an issue to consider.

And last, as for the bleeding, "Taking more than 3 grams per day might keep blood from clotting and can increase the chance of bleeding". Again, they use the word "might". From what I know, fish oil does keep the blood from clotting to a point which is why I had to stop taking it before my surgery. But it does not keep it from clotting to the point that if you get cut or something you are going to bleed out. Even in this article it talks about the benefit of taking it during certain surgeries "Reducing the risk of blood vessel re-blockage after heart bypass surgery or “balloon” catheterization (balloon angioplasty). Fish oil appears to decrease the rate of re-blockage up to 26% when given for one month before the procedure and continued for one month thereafter. Apparently, taking fish oil before surgery is important. When taken for less than one month before angioplasty, fish oil doesn’t help protect the blood vessel against closing down." Just one example.

So, as for your question about taking more than the 1tsp, I wouldn't be concerned for a certain duration to treat your inflammation (or to see if it at least helps). Would I take high does long term? If only the high doeses (2tsp) help with your inflammation and the 1tsp didn't, I would talk to your Dr. about the long term pros and cons of using it for treatment.

I know that was a long winded response for that short opinion at the end but I hope it helps to support my reasoning and thought process. :)[/quote']

Indeed. You have given a very thoughtful response. Thank you!

I just read today from another post that the fat around the belly contains a lot of inflammation and that such inflammation causes the brain to release more cortisol to combat it. As most are aware, cortisol leads to an unpleasant desire to eat more and triggers other hormones that may lead to weight gain.

That is certainly what I struggled with pre op. I had a huge belly. But wait. There is more. The same fish oils that you suggest can be used to combat inflammation in the back can also be used to combat the inflammation around the midsection.

Reducing inflammation from the midsection will suppress the appetite so we do not eat from stress and also normalize the flow of hormones that lead to weight gain.

Yay for fish oil!

My surgeon is in the "no NSAIDs EVER post-surgery" camp. My understanding was that in addition to the concern over possible stomach ulcers, that ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil), naproxen sodium (Aleve) and other NSAIDs can overtax the liver.

It's interesting to see the wide range of recommendations coming from different doctors--I'm going to make sure to ask for more information from mine, since Tylenol has never really worked for me when I have muscle pain or a headache.

Had my 4 week follow up today and asked when I could start taking Advil again. I wasn't a chronic user' date=' more like once or twice a month and I was told never again. I had no idea. Guess Tylenol will have to do it from now on.[/quote']

Jeffnnj, I understand. Advil was my drug of choice so I was at a lost. Advil has always worked better for me but I'm going to have to adapt.