Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No More Advil.....EVER!

I am hoping that someone can help with my need for NSAID to address back inflammation. My upper back gets so inflamed for some reason. Do not know why. It seems to have amped up a bit after dropping excess weight, perhaps from the body failing to balance correctly after dropping 180 lb in 6 months.

A few days ago, my PCP put me on 800 mg of Ibuprofen up to 3 x a day with up to 1500 mg Tylenol at same time to calm it. Yes, you read that correctly: 800 mg a pill up to 3x daily. I usually only take once a day, sometimes 2x daily. I did explain again to my PCP the dangers of taking such high doses. He said to stop if I start to feel any irritation. So far none...

My surgeon doctor basically said OK with NSAID at 6 months, but did not encourage use and I am really concerned at the amount my PCP is having me take daily, especially when it is not really helping; still have the achy, burning, spasming of the muscles in upper back, around the shoulder blades.

I am thinking about calling my surgeon on Monday to explain that I really do not want to take this much Ibuprofen on a daily basis for fear of damage. Basically beg for some alternative that will make a quality of life difference. I am hoping he will be sympathetic to my needs even though I am so far post op.

I would just like a safe alternative. Maybe like constantly wear a heat pad on my upper back? Heat seems to help the inflammation. I don't really want to be cranked up on hydrocodone, but what are the alternatives?

This back inflammation probably stems from my many years as a software developer often spending 15-18 a day hunched over my keyboard. Not so bad anymore, but the physical toll is catching up quickly. I now work at home so will need to do a better job at getting the ergonomics right and taking lots of stretching breaks.

My surgeon prescribed ibuprofen for me. The debate is in the medical field in general; still, in VSG it's another example of RNY protocols applied to sleeves. NSAIDs are just plain hard on all stomach. Stomachs that aren't healed can be extra sensitive.

I use acupuncture treatments and/or massage for muscular-skeletal issues. Enormous relief for me. Unless I get a big ole flare-up. Then it's ibuprofen and muscle relaxers (no good way to live, or to go get your life, though, IMHO). Thankfully has only occurred once since I've been sleeved!

A lot of people on this forum actually still take nsaids. there's some debate whether its ok after surgery. The reason is that dr's are worried about ulcers because of the way those drugs effect the stomach lining. My nurse did say that after a year occasional use is fine. There are a few people who take them on a daily basis w/o issues.

But if you Google it, it says it a pro about this surgery... You can take nsaids afterwards... Now my surgeon says no more, rheumatologist pissed, says that's why he oked this surgery and not the RNY... I will see who wins!

Per my comments above should I go see an internist, rheumatologist or a physical therapist? Any natural remedies that I can try instead of NSAID like Ibuprofen?

I am also getting into Yoga with a hope the stretches are going to help "fix" my back issues by building stronger core and taking tension off the upper back.

I have also read a stronger trapezoid muscle will help with my specific back inflammation issues. Would you think this will help instead of taking NSAID?

Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread if you view it this way.

Per my comments above should I go see an internist, rheumatologist or a physical therapist? Any natural remedies that I can try instead of NSAID like Ibuprofen?

I am also getting into Yoga with a hope the stretches are going to help "fix" my back issues by building stronger core and taking tension off the upper back.

I have also read a stronger trapezoid muscle will help with my specific back inflammation issues. Would you think this will help instead of taking NSAID?

Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread if you view it this way.

Just to share my opinion, a physiotherapist will help you to strengthen the muscles in that area to hopefully alleviate the pain. Accupunture has always worked wonders for me so you might want to give that a try too. I am very leary about taking any Nsaids now, I don't want to risk getting an ulcer in my tiny tummy. I just tell my PCP that I can't take Nsaids and he prescribes me some thing else; easy.

I am hoping that someone can help with my need for NSAID to address back inflammation. My upper back gets so inflamed for some reason. Do not know why. It seems to have amped up a bit after dropping excess weight, perhaps from the body failing to balance correctly after dropping 180 lb in 6 months.

A few days ago, my PCP put me on 800 mg of Ibuprofen up to 3 x a day with up to 1500 mg Tylenol at same time to calm it. Yes, you read that correctly: 800 mg a pill up to 3x daily. I usually only take once a day, sometimes 2x daily. I did explain again to my PCP the dangers of taking such high doses. He said to stop if I start to feel any irritation. So far none...

My surgeon doctor basically said OK with NSAID at 6 months, but did not encourage use and I am really concerned at the amount my PCP is having me take daily, especially when it is not really helping; still have the achy, burning, spasming of the muscles in upper back, around the shoulder blades.

I am thinking about calling my surgeon on Monday to explain that I really do not want to take this much Ibuprofen on a daily basis for fear of damage. Basically beg for some alternative that will make a quality of life difference. I am hoping he will be sympathetic to my needs even though I am so far post op.

I would just like a safe alternative. Maybe like constantly wear a heat pad on my upper back? Heat seems to help the inflammation. I don't really want to be cranked up on hydrocodone, but what are the alternatives?

This back inflammation probably stems from my many years as a software developer often spending 15-18 a day hunched over my keyboard. Not so bad anymore, but the physical toll is catching up quickly. I now work at home so will need to do a better job at getting the ergonomics right and taking lots of stretching breaks.

Fiddleman, I am not an expert by any means but I wanted to offer a possible option that you could research. A good fish oil goes a long way at reducing inflammation. I am big into weight lifting and running which can cause inflammation. I use a product that is only available online or possibly at certain independant businesses that choose to carry it. It is called Stronger Faster Healthier (that's the brand) and it's Super Omega 3 fish oil. It is a liquid that comes in several flavors. I use the mint and mix it with Stronger Faster Healthier chocolate Protein power. The other thing thing that I would look at is your diet. There is a lot of food out there that can cause inflammation, especially grains. Do your research on the foods. Let me know if there is anything I can do. :)

One thing for sure, it seems we do have less aches and pains with less weight! However, pain is still inevitable - even if it's a sports injury because we are all so healthy and active :)

I am one who takes NSAIDS every day, though I try to limit it to 400-600 mg once daily. I also have bone on bone in one knee, and walking aggravates it. My surgeon gave me the green llight at about 6 weeks. It's true, NSAIDS are hard on stomachs, regardless of the size. My particular surgeon says never take NSAIDS with RNY, which is one of the main reasons I chose this surgery. I agree with above poster who said it seems to be another area that's carried over from best practice from RNY....but I'm not sure it's accurate.

Another alternative is Ultram (tramedol). It's stronger than ibuprophen, but less than Tyleonl #3, and is not supposed to be addictive (though I'm not sure I beleive that, IMO). It's only available with rx, but it is effective.

My surgeon was really firm that I am not to take NSAIDs after this surgery period. I was told it was because our stomachs are so small, when we take medication the pill tends to land in the same spot every time, and so we are much more prone to ulceration as a result. I miss NSAIDs, believe me!

Fiddleman' date=' I am not an expert by any means but I wanted to offer a possible option that you could research. A good fish oil goes a long way at reducing inflammation. I am big into weight lifting and running which can cause inflammation. I use a product that is only available online or possibly at certain independant businesses that choose to carry it. It is called Stronger Faster Healthier (that's the brand) and it's Super Omega 3 fish oil. It is a liquid that comes in several flavors. I use the mint and mix it with Stronger Faster Healthier chocolate Protein power. The other thing thing that I would look at is your diet. There is a lot of food out there that can cause inflammation, especially grains. Do your research on the foods. Let me know if there is anything I can do. :)[/quote']

Thanks for the direction of what to research. It is helpful. Today, I do take krill and chia seeds daily, both pretty high in Omega 3. Maybe not high enough. Like you, I am a active runner and also just starting out cross fit and yoga.

My surgeon was really firm that I am not to take NSAIDs after this surgery period. I was told it was because our stomachs are so small' date=' when we take medication the pill tends to land in the same spot every time, and so we are much more prone to ulceration as a result. I miss NSAIDs, believe me![/quote']

Well, I think your surgeon has a point. However, I have been taking really strong doses of NSAID for 2 months now and am not having any trouble yet. Knock on wood. I also am or have taken Etolodolac (extended) and Diclofenac ( quicker acting), but neither seem to be addressing the inflammation in my back. Besides Diclofenac is really hard on the stomach.

Just to share my opinion' date=' a physiotherapist will help you to strengthen the muscles in that area to hopefully alleviate the pain. Accupunture has always worked wonders for me so you might want to give that a try too. I am very leary about taking any Nsaids now, I don't want to risk getting an ulcer in my tiny tummy. I just tell my PCP that I can't take Nsaids and he prescribes me some thing else; easy.[/quote']

Thanks. I have not looked into acupuncture yet. Good suggestion. I think my insurance may even cover it.

One thing for sure' date=' it seems we do have less aches and pains with less weight! However, pain is still inevitable - even if it's a sports injury because we are all so healthy and active :)

I am one who takes NSAIDS every day, though I try to limit it to 400-600 mg once daily. I also have bone on bone in one knee, and walking aggravates it. My surgeon gave me the green llight at about 6 weeks. It's true, NSAIDS are hard on stomachs, regardless of the size. My particular surgeon says never take NSAIDS with RNY, which is one of the main reasons I chose this surgery. I agree with above poster who said it seems to be another area that's carried over from best practice from RNY....but I'm not sure it's accurate.

Another alternative is Ultram (tramedol). It's stronger than ibuprophen, but less than Tyleonl #3, and is not supposed to be addictive (though I'm not sure I beleive that, IMO). It's only available with rx, but it is effective.[/quote']

Thanks for your opinion on tramedol. I did ask my doctor about this also last week and he was telling me it was addictive as it is a synthetic morphine. Triggers the same dopa receptors as other opioid based meds.

Thanks for the direction of what to research. It is helpful. Today, I do take krill and chia seeds daily, both pretty high in Omega 3. Maybe not high enough. Like you, I am a active runner and also just starting out cross fit and yoga.

With you being a runner and crossfitter, I would STRONGLY recommend trying the Stronger Faster Healthier fish oil. When taking a fish oil the biggest thing to consider is the ammount of EPA and DHA. SFH fish oil has 3100mg per teaspoon. They recommend athletes take 1-2 tsp and people with inflammation to take 2-3 tsp a day. That would be 6200 to 9300mg of EPA and DHA. So you could put that into perspective as to what you are currently taking. It is an AMAZING product along with the Protein powders. I HIGHLY recommend them too. I use the chocolate Recovery formula after workouts and have recently started using the chocolate Fortified to get in extra protein since surgery. I have to admit even though they taste pretty simmilar, I don't like the Fortified as much as it has something in it (maybe the cherry powder) that doesn't mix in. It's kind of grainy or something and settles at the bottom of my shaker jar. Anyway, hope this is helpful. Our crossfit coaches are a big supporter of their products for good reason. Here is a link to the SFH website. http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/products/omega_3-oil/10_oz_so3_super_concentrate_om

With you being a runner and crossfitter' date=' I would STRONGLY recommend trying the Stronger Faster Healthier fish oil. When taking a fish oil the biggest thing to consider is the ammount of EPA and DHA. SFH fish oil has 3100mg per teaspoon. They recommend athletes take 1-2 tsp and people with inflammation to take 2-3 tsp a day. That would be 6200 to 9300mg of EPA and DHA. So you could put that into perspective as to what you are currently taking. It is an AMAZING product along with the Protein powders. I HIGHLY recommend them too. I use the chocolate Recovery formula after workouts and have recently started using the chocolate Fortified to get in extra Protein since surgery. I have to admit even though they taste pretty simmilar, I don't like the Fortified as much as it has something in it (maybe the cherry powder) that doesn't mix in. It's kind of grainy or something and settles at the bottom of my shaker jar. Anyway, hope this is helpful. Our crossfit coaches are a big supporter of their products for good reason. Here is a link to the SFH website. http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/products/omega_3-oil/10_oz_so3_super_concentrate_om

Thanks for the recommendation. I have ordered chocolate flavor and hope this will eliminate the need to take any NSAID.

Fiddleman, have you been to a chiropractor? I took trial and error for me to find a good one but mine was a life-saver. One of the reasons I had VSG was that all of my excess weight exacerbates that fact that my hips are slightly uneven. This plus sitting too much during the day at a desk made my low back constantly inflamed. Beside his manipulation to help adjust my hip, my Chiro is into icing the back to reduce the inflation and a homeopathic ointment call Trameel for body aches. Any or all may be worth a try. Good luck.