Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really that impossible?

I have yet to be sleeved my surgeon says that due to my high bmi the sleeve might not be the best (that and my Gerd) but i read here many who lose tons of weight!! I currently weigh 320 and my goal would be 165 is that really impossible with the sleeve?

GERD might be a concern.

I started out at 308 and now am maintaining around 156 or so. I think your goal is possible, but will take work!

It's totally possible to lose you excess weight and hit goal of 165 lbs..... There are many on here that have lost more than that and are totally happy.......Talk with your surgeon and tell him what you want. Research the gastric bypass and the sleeve and come to a decision on your own because you have to live with your decision..... :)

Thank you all for you words of encouragement! I have researched and the sleeve is what i feel most comfortable with. As far as the Gerd Ive heard many who've had rny and have horrible reflux. Its just I'm scared my over eating will get the best of me.

I started my weight loss at 475lbs. On the day of surgery I was at 450lbs. As of this morning I was at 391. I was sleeved on jan 28 and the first couple of weeks were hard but everything is going great now! Your journey will be what you make of it no matter what surgery you pick. I am very glad of my decision on the sleeve because I think it works best for my life style. I hope everything works out for you, let us know what you decide!

I lost 177 pounds which is more than you have to lose so yes VSG can do the job just fine. Remember its your body so don't allow a doctor to make the decision for you. VSG has so many advantages over other procedures. - Good luck with your journey.

My doc also tried to persuade me to have RNY. I just didn't want that surgery (malabsorption, can't take NSAIDS, etc). He said statistically, I would lose more weight with RNY because of my high BMI. However, he did agree that as long as I worked at it, I could lose 100% of my excess weight with the sleeve. At first I agreed to the RNY, but just couldn't get comfortable with the idea, and a week before surgery, I changed my mind. I've been so grateful in the time since then that I did. I'm no where near goal and I don't know how this will turn out, but I don't think I'd be doing any better if I had the other surgery at this point. At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with your decision, because you are the one living with it.

I started at 337 yes you can have the sleeve, its made such a diff in my life

I feel the same way as most of you like an uneasy feeling towards the Rny. He is trying to use my bmi, reflux and over eating as reasons i should have the bypass but just as all those things can jeopardize the sleeve they can make me regain with the rny so i feel i need to make changes and work hard period. Mostly my nut is the one who is concerned.

I feel the same way as most of you like an uneasy feeling towards the Rny. He is trying to use my bmi, reflux and over eating as reasons i should have the bypass but just as all those things can jeopardize the sleeve they can make me regain with the rny so i feel i need to make changes and work hard period. Mostly my nut is the one who is concerned.

sounds to me like you need to find a diff Dr that will support what you want, think the RNY is more expensive surgery so poss he is looking into wanting more money, but many people have this surgery bigger then you and they do just fine

I think it's more a matter of the GERD. When we did the swallow test, partially it was to see if that would be an issue. I came up with a small hiatal hernia, but had never really had complications from that.

When I met with my surgeon we discussed why my choice had been the sleeve. The main reason for getting WLS for me is to try to reduce potential diabetes complications. He said that the best results with diabetes are normally seen with the bypass. Not so much to discourage me from going sleeve, but just to make me aware of one treatment being sucessful (or tracked as so). At the end of our discussion & comparisons we were both comfortable with the choice made.

My starting weight was very close to yours. I hope to get to 160 (well.. we'll see how things are looking when the time comes). I really think that this is a possible goal.

I have GERD. I had a moderate hiatal hernia repaired during my vsg surgery.

I'm 6 months out and I still take a PPI 1x daily. I do a lot better if I take one 2x daily. If I skip a day or two it is seriously NO FUN. Extreme burning.

I had Gerd and esophagus narrowing . Also previous surgery to open my lower esophageal muscle. I had the sleeve 5 1/2 months ago. Have lost 60 lbs. my Dr used a 56 bougie and I have no problems. I continue to take Protonix daily and have for years. Where there is a will there is a way!

I have GERD. I had a moderate hiatal hernia repaired during my vsg surgery.

I'm 6 months out and I still take a PPI 1x daily. I do a lot better if I take one 2x daily. If I skip a day or two it is seriously NO FUN. Extreme burning.

yeah I have gerd also and I take 1 prilosec a day, have tried getting off of it 2 times, 2nd time was much better then the first so I am hoping one of theses day I will beable to

My surgeon (and the other two at the Center) say that the sleeve is a better surgery if your BMI is higher than 50.