Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really that impossible?

NJ, a dear fiend of mine went into the hospital a few days ago. She was put into a coma purposefully two days ago and today they are taking her off all life support so that she can die in peace. She had bypass surgery two years ago. She will die thin, but was one of the unlucky people for whom kidney failure was a result of her surgery. She was always a beautiful woman.

I'm not a huge fan of the sleeve either as I am suffering life long problems due to having another rare (seems like rare is getting more common) complication. But the sleeve is much safer than the bypass. Worst case, if you stay healthy after having the sleeve and can't meet your goals, than have it moved forward to the bypass, but start at the easier procedure and see how it goes. There are so many people here who have lost so much more than you have to lose, so the sleeve could be your best option, but don't take the very last resort first. You have a lifetime to make a second decision. I wish my dear friend still had that option.

I have yet to be sleeved my surgeon says that due to my high bmi the sleeve might not be the best (that and my Gerd) but i read here many who lose tons of weight!! I currently weigh 320 and my goal would be 165 is that really impossible with the sleeve?

I think many doctors push the RNY because its an older procedure and more long term data is available. From my research ( which is extensive by the way) people with very very high BMI's like those people who have to break down a wall to get out of their houses...well they use the sleeve as step 1 of 2 surgeries. Step 2 being the RNY. From what I understand, they do the sleeve first so they can get to a safer weight in order for the RNY to be performed. Does your surgeon have more experience with RNY's than Sleeves? Maybe this is why he is pushing you in that direction...

NJ' date=' a dear fiend of mine went into the hospital a few days ago. She was put into a coma purposefully two days ago and today they are taking her off all life support so that she can die in peace. She had bypass surgery two years ago. She died thin, but was one of the unlucky people for whom kidney failure was a result of her surgery. She was always a beautiful woman.

I'm not a huge fan of the sleeve either as I am suffering life long problems due to having another rare (seems like rare is getting more common) complication. But the sleeve is much safer than the bypass. Worst case, if you stay healthy after having the sleeve and can't meet your goals, than have it moved forward to the bypass, but start at the easier procedure and see how it goes. There are so many people here who have lost so much more than you have to lose, so the sleeve could be your best option, but don't take the very last resort first. You have a lifetime to make a second decision. I wish my dear friend still had that option.[/quote']

:-/ Sorry to hear about your lost.

Did she have kidney problems prior to having the bypass?

Iggy so sorry for your loss of a dear beloved friend.....it makes me thankful that I decided on the sleeve instead of the RnY. I am also encouraged to eat healthy and continue on my path and to be thankful for everything I have in my life right now. I am so blessed to have a support group like VST. :)

:-/ Sorry to hear about your lost.

Did she have kidney problems prior to having the bypass?

TY for your kind thoughts. No she didn't. She was probably 350 plus when she had the surgery. A beautiful woman with a beautiful heart that was strained due to her weight, so she did need to do something, but RNY probably wasn't the best choice, yet typically in alaska its the only choice they discuss (old school). It is a complication with RNY that is an issue to consider. One of the reasons I went with the sleeve was because of this complication.

She is still hanging on, but it's only a matter of time. Heart breaking really. Even if you have to take the most conservative action possible....it's worth it to still have options. Once you go RNY you can't go backwards :( THe sleeve isn't everything, but it's also not an end of the road treatment as RNY is.

Iggy so sorry for your loss of a dear beloved friend.....it makes me thankful that I decided on the sleeve instead of the RnY. I am also encouraged to eat healthy and continue on my path and to be thankful for everything I have in my life right now. I am so blessed to have a support group like VST. :)

She was somewhat isolated MS. and I think a group like this would have helped. That said, she couldn't do anything aside from a transplant, so her path has been determined for about a year. These complications....they're all so vague and far away until they hit home.

I started out at 320. My doctor said that I could expect to lose 120 to 150 pounds. I think I can do more. He recommended the sleeve. We never even talked about any other type. You can do it.

I have yet to be sleeved my surgeon says that due to my high bmi the sleeve might not be the best (that and my Gerd) but i read here many who lose tons of weight!! I currently weigh 320 and my goal would be 165 is that really impossible with the sleeve?

Not sure if this was shared or not, please check out this person's blog. She shows you that yes, it is possible.

http://www.300poundsdown.com/

I was 329lbs at 5'3" tall when I was sleeved and had terrible GERD. Dr. repaired a hiatal hernia during surgery and haven't had any GERD since. It's only been 4 weeks and I'm down 30lbs. I think it's possible. You may want a second opinion.

I too have a very high BMI, embarassing but it is what it is. When I met with my surgeon the first time after all the pre-testing and transfer of my pervious medical records, he told me that he would normally not recommend the sleeve to someone with as much weight loss as I wanted. However, due to my resting metabolism rate, my medical history (I have no co-mordities) and my activity level he believes I can be successuful with the sleeve. He is concerned with a possible stall at 6 mos, which he said he will watch closely and believes we can overcome it based on my history. I know this is not the cure and that it will take lots of hard work and the road is long, but I am in it to find that fit woman who is covered by all this protective padding. You and your surgeon have to agree with the plan, and ulitimately the decision is yours but make sure you make the decision for you and only you not your surgeon. I know if my surgeon had told me no to the sleeve, I would have stopped the process. I would have walked out and never looked back, maybe he saw that in my eyes too. Who knows what he saw, all I know is this surgery is for me, just make sure you are making the decision for you. Good luck.

I think many doctors push the RNY because its an older procedure and more long term data is available. From my research ( which is extensive by the way) people with very very high BMI's like those people who have to break down a wall to get out of their houses...well they use the sleeve as step 1 of 2 surgeries. Step 2 being the RNY. From what I understand' date=' they do the sleeve first so they can get to a safer weight in order for the RNY to be performed. Does your surgeon have more experience with RNY's than Sleeves? Maybe this is why he is pushing you in that direction...[/quote']

I agree with this. I think the sleeve, being newer and less "proven", tends to be more comfortable for the surgeon, and I suppose you can't blame them for wanting to go the more familiar route. As far a "statistical" success, my surgeon told me average was 70% rny, 60% sleeve for excess weight lost - but "average" means some lose 100%, some may lose none! It all depends on your commitment and how you work it. For me, the lower complication rate and fewer problems in general post-surgery, choosing sleeve over rny was a no-brainer. The other argument was rny 'curing' diabetes. I have been off all of my diabetes meds since surgery and sugar levels are great!

Many studies are showing that the sleeve gastrectomy is quite effective with treating diabetes, although it's true that in comparison, the RNY tends to be more effective, especially in the short term.

One of the more telling studies regarding diabetes and sleeve gastrectomy was published a year ago. Medscape summarizes it quite nicely at http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762107

The key paragraph is this:

Of the 30 patients in the surgical group, 24 (80%) had their diabetes resolved by 18 months after surgery and reduced their mean body mass index (BMI) from 41.3 kg/m2 before surgery to 28.3 kg/m2 18 months later (P ≤ 001). Conversely, mean BMI in the traditional treatment group increased from 39 kg/m2 at study entry to 39.8 kg/m2 18 months later (P ≥ .05), and all patients in the group remained diabetic.

So, compared to the traditionally treated group of 30, all of which were still being treated for diabetes at the end of the study, 80%, or 24 of the 30 members of the sleeve gastrectomy group no longer had diabetes symptoms and signs. I'd say that suggests a pretty good success rate is likely for resolving my diabetes, and I get to trade a slightly lower success rate for less likelihood of complications and no rerouting of my insides, just removing a piece. I'm up for that :)

How much weight a patient loses is largely up to the patient. There is an average, meaning, what is typical but you can certainly go above that, or not even reach that average. It just depends how you do.

NJ' date=' a dear fiend of mine went into the hospital a few days ago. She was put into a coma purposefully two days ago and today they are taking her off all life support so that she can die in peace. She had bypass surgery two years ago. She will die thin, but was one of the unlucky people for whom kidney failure was a result of her surgery. She was always a beautiful woman.

I'm not a huge fan of the sleeve either as I am suffering life long problems due to having another rare (seems like rare is getting more common) complication. But the sleeve is much safer than the bypass. Worst case, if you stay healthy after having the sleeve and can't meet your goals, than have it moved forward to the bypass, but start at the easier procedure and see how it goes. There are so many people here who have lost so much more than you have to lose, so the sleeve could be your best option, but don't take the very last resort first. You have a lifetime to make a second decision. I wish my dear friend still had that option.[/quote']

I am so sorry for your loss

If I take 1 bite to many, I lose it all. Over eating is very hard....at least for me!

Revision 1/31/13 by Dr Cabrera and Venezuela in MX