Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If a sleeve is a sleeve...why do diets from the dr's vary so much?

...I had my surgery on the 6th...besides not doing the shakes like I am supposed from my dr's/nut's orders...I've went strictly by the post-op diet sheet given to me by the dr/nut -it's been easy 'cause I am never hungry or even thirsty...but the more time I spend on here for info & support...the more dazed & confused I get...if it is the same surgery, why does the ok food and no-no food vary so????

...just now on another thread, a guy 10 or so days out was eating a sloppy joe? a girl 3 weeks out was having 100% whole wheat tortilla chips and salsa?...things like that are not even listed on my sheet!!! When I asked my nut about baked chips & salsa in the future...she literally said I would fail at this if I ever ate any type of chip again & besides 1 slice of low-cal, whole wheat toast about once a month, I'd fail....what gives? I know my hunger & thirst will return one day...so what gives?

...I had my surgery on the 6th...besides not doing the shakes like I am supposed from my dr's/nut's orders...I've went strictly by the post-op diet sheet given to me by the dr/nut -it's been easy 'cause I am never hungry or even thirsty...but the more time I spend on here for info & support...the more dazed & confused I get...if it is the same surgery' date=' why does the ok food and no-no food vary so????

...just now on another thread, a guy 10 or so days out was eating a sloppy joe? a girl 3 weeks out was having 100% whole wheat tortilla chips and salsa?...things like that are not even listed on my sheet!!! When I asked my nut about baked chips & salsa in the future...she literally said I would fail at this if I ever ate any type of chip again & besides 1 slice of low-cal, whole wheat toast about once a month, I'd fail....what gives? I know my hunger & thirst will return one day...so what gives?[/quote']

Ok I honestly don't believe you will fail if you eat chips but try your best to stick to your postop diet as long as you can.. You want to give your sleeve time to heal.. I had this surgery so I don't have to "diet" anymore! My sleeve helps me eat normal size portions and live a normal life. I am 8 months post op down 80 lbs and only 20 lbs from my goal! I pretty much eat whatever I want now except bread, Pasta or rice. If I do it is such a small amount. It just sticks in my sleeve and then I can't eat anything else.. I average about 1000 calories a day now.. Which I am very happy with. If I eat chips it's usually about 5 compared to the whole bag that I use to eat. You will see so many different opinions on here and you basically have to just try things and see how your body responds. What works for one person doesn't work for another.. Good luck on your journey!

I can't really elaborate on the post op diet as I was a self pay in MX. But what I do know is that diets don't work and if I look at this like a diet then I will fell. I make better choices about what goes into my mouth, I drink alot of Water and low cal drinks, and I don't eat junk food. Not because I am on a diet but because those things do not add any nutritional value to my diet. Now if I want some ice cream, I will have me a couple of tablespoons of the real thing and it satisfies my craving. If I am eating guacamole and want chips instead of my peppers, I will have about 5 chips or so. I dont overindulged anymore. Some foods are slidders, but I am not eating just to eat. Now some individuals will disagree. Some people plan on sticking yo dieting until they reach their goal weight, but IMO if I did that I would have not learned how to live a normal life with normal food if I am constantly dieting. To each its own though, and through trial and error we know what works for us in the end.

I agree, if my head thinks its dieting I will crave everything. I now eat whatever I fix for dinner for everyone else. Before surgery I ate a lot of potatoes, or Mac and cheese or whatever carb I fixed with my meat. Now I find that I eat my meat and a little of my vegetables, I just skip the potatoes or whatever because I know I need the Protein and I only have so much room in my sleeve and I don't want to fill it with those things. What really amazes me is I don't miss them! If I make spaghetti or something like that, I have a little. I want to cook just one meal for my family and eat with them, I want to feel normal not like I'm dieting. I think that's important for my long term success. I've never felt better and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing, no diet has ever let me feel like that!

Just put it into perspective.............When your not sure what to eat......picture robbing a bank. You go into the vault.......Do you fill your pockets with piles of coins or take the $100 bills.

Just put it into perspective.............When your not sure what to eat......picture robbing a bank. You go into the vault.......Do you fill your pockets with piles of coins or take the $100 bills.

Nice analogy.

Same here, my surgery was 3/6. I am supposed to eat Proteins. I don't have to count calories or watch fat and can only have 30 or less carbs a day, basically like Atkins. I went through BMI of Texas and they seem to have a high success rate, so I guess I will just stick to the plan. After I hit goal the nut said she will add more carbs weekly until I show a gain. I am good with it so far.

I'm about 4 months postop and I watch what I eat but not like others on here. I'm doing what's comfortable for me. I tried Pasta and it just didn't sit well at all so I don't eat it. I have a piece of wheat bread with tuna or chicken. My NUT said I'm not getting enough carbs. I'm averaging 55g and under a day. My NUT said I'm supposed to consume 93-120g a day...ugh I try but since Protein is my 1st priority and so is Water I can't manage everything! So I'm struggling right now with that...I have never been told that though lol. I haven't lost as much weight as others but I have lost 41# from sx and 53# from hw. To me it's not a diet..it's a fresh start:-) I love the Atkins meals and thank God for pb2!! I also started making Protein ice cream!

highest weight 224#<br />sx weight 212# (11/20/12)<br />current weight 171#(3/20)