Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It seems that everyone gets different instructions on what diet you follow once you can eat. BMI of Texas instructs that you do not count calories, only carbs. No more than 30 grams of carbs a day until you reach goal weight, then they will slowly add in more carbs to see how many your body can tolerate without a gain. Basically you can eat all the Protein you want (which of course is not much) and non starch veggies. I am totally okay with this though. Anyone get anything different?

My doc wanted me on low carb high Protein. I pretty much try to stick with proteins....but I don't count anything. I eat meat and cheeses first...then whatever else I want and have room for. If I want something bad...I have it. Just a lot less then I used to. I make sure to exercise a lot...and most of the time eat the stuff I should...but I didn't do this to be stuck on a diet for the rest of my life. I am more then a year and a half out...and less then 20 pounds till goal. I can honestly say that I am not constantly thinking about what I am going to eat...how much...and what is for the next meal. I was so seriously obsessed with food before, and now I eat to live...not live to eat...haha vsg is great...and life is beautiful! Good luck!

I don't know. I was told all clears for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of purees then semi soft for 2 weeks. Emphasis on high Protein, low carbs but with the few calories I am taking in, not sure carbs would negatively affect me. I have a friend who used a different surgeon and was sleeved Tuesday with a BMW more than 10 points higher than me and he is drinking smoothies and going to the gym already. Doesn't sound right to me at all.

My carb intake varies depending on what I'm doing in the gym. I'm 3.5 weeks out and was cleared for light weights and moderate cardio. I shoot for under 30 on cardio/non lifting days and on lifting days I up them to 50-60g carbs, with about 10 before and 10 after workout. I am able to drop crazy weight on low carb diets and loved it, I'll be switching back to carb "cycling" soon, doing low carb for a week with one day of high carb. Well, not "soon" but for my normal every day diet at least.

I'm 14 months out, and still have alot of restriction (YEAH!!!) so this is what I've been eating since starting regular food.

EAS AdvanEdge shake for Breakfast (otherwise I'm not a Breakfast person)

FF Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hot chocolate with made with 1 1/2 cups of skim plus, egg beaters, lean meat, etc.... I eat as much as I can, about 1/2 cup 3 times a day.

Lots of calorie free liquid.

Nut assures me that it's ok that I have no room in my tummy to add in vegetables, yet. need to be able to get 60-100gms protein/day. Boy do I miss veggies, tho!!! She says that we should all be taking a Multivitamin morning and night and that makes up for the no produce.

I must add that I feel AWESOME!!! Energy THROUGH THE ROOF!!!! Sitting still is like a form of torture! LOVIN the gym!! (who said that???, me???, really??? YEPPERS!!!, LOL) Have lost all my excess weight, surpassed dr.'s goal and reached my personal goal :D 5'2", 117 lbs, size 2 or 3. This summer, hopefully panni and whatever else ins. will pay for.

so I was told eat protien first and at first to have about 600 calories it took a few months to get at that point, now being 7 months out the doc says to eat around 1000 calories , lo carb high protien

Thanks everyone:)

It seems that everyone gets different instructions on what diet you follow once you can eat. BMI of Texas instructs that you do not count calories, only carbs. No more than 30 grams of carbs a day until you reach goal weight, then they will slowly add in more carbs to see how many your body can tolerate without a gain. Basically you can eat all the Protein you want (which of course is not much) and non starch veggies. I am totally okay with this though. Anyone get anything different?

You are so right, all are different. Dr. Davidson watches calories and Protein. Carbs don't come into it unless a patient if not losing like he/she should. Thank goodness, prior to surgery I started reading all about carbs, I really needed a college course!!! In the six months I was losing, I ate between 350 (the first couple of weeks) and never ate more than 825 calories, and that was an effort! I never 'cheated' during that time, not one morsel of anything sweet.....not a french fry, nothing!! Now that I'm in maintenence, 1200 is what I need to not lose and not gain. I can go a little over, 1250, or a little under, 1150 and I'm fine. Last week I decided to see if I could still lose if I wanted to, so I kept my calories the same, but upped my protein to 75 - 90 grams a day. I can still do it, I lost two lbs!! It's such a fine line, it's fun to experiment and see what works.

I watch Protein (have to hit 60g daily during weight loss and 50 in maintenance) but not much else. No carb restrictions, though they suggest I stay away from highly processed foods (no white bread and cotton candy). I still can't really eat bread and likely never will be able to due to complications and sugar does not sit well with me either, which is fine. I do eat a french fry on occasion, and love a good onion ring :) I eat corn chips with bean dip because it's a good fat bomb but given I can eat so very little, I never go over any calorie or other (carb/fat/salt or sugar) goal that MFP sets for me. I've been asked to up my fats actually so now instead of no fat milk I've been drinking whole milk, adding butter, etc.

When you eat a couple of cups of food in total a day it's hard to screw it up, carbs or otherwise :) As my doc says, carbs aren't all bad...in fact they are part of a balanced diet and we didn't do this to live on a diet for the rest of our life did we????