Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a big iced tea drinker.... so about a month before my Optifast start, I started mixing Decaf tea with regular and each week incrased the decaf. Now I drink only that and it is fine.

Anyone going in May alone.. I don't want my family to know they will not approve and my husband staying with the kids:( So I was wondering if anybody was going alone

I am going alone. May 27 Dr. Garcia florence Hospital

May 17th with Dr Garcia

OK, I went to Tijana alone..had my surgery on Friday May 3 with Dr. Cabrera and Dr Valenzuela at Hospital MI Doctor. I can give you this advice...Don't be afraid to go alone, but.......find a buddy when you get there. I met a wonderful lady and her friend who had surgery the same day as me and those first 24 hours after surgery, its nice to have someone there to put gas-x strips in your mouth..to help you communicate that you need pain meds or even help you go to the restroom. Going in Mexico wasn't bad and the doctors are fantastic..but the facility and the nursing is NOT what you get in a normal hospital in the states. At least where I was...now it was adequate and I felt perfectly safe...but you don't have a nurse call button..and not all the nurses spoke english. THe daytime nurses seem to have better english but even then, its limited to medical terminology.."help me tie my gown so my ass isn't showing" isn't in their known english...so it is nice having someone there to help you with the little stuff..but let me tell you..once you ask for something and they do understand you, they are very accomodating...they are a little rough when putting medicines in the IV..so you will have to tell them if it hurts..I figured this out by screaming to the top of my lungs and they finally got the clue to slow down...They sent me back to the hotel with bandages..NO TAPE...so be sure to ASK for this...if you plan to shower you will have to change those dressings!! Those first 24 hours are pretty bad..I had the nausua...but didn't have the shoulder pains..the gas pains are bad but not constant..and like everyone says, each hour that passes leads to less pain. Today is day 4 post op and I just got home today (missed a connection and stayed overnight in Dallas)..I don't have any pain but am sore. I havent taken any pain meds since Monday morning but am faithful on the other medications they send you with. I was terrified initially of drinking because the first time they let you have something to drink, it hurts when going down. But this is normal..it doesn't hurt now unless the liquid is too cold or i drink too much at once. But prepare yourself because it will hurt...my throat is still a little sore from the tubing they put down. I am definately feeling weaker but aside from this, I am good. I can sit, walk, stand, sleep on my sides..etc without pain or discomfort. Things that do hurt, coughing, sneezing, hiccups, bending too far, turning body side to side, reaching above my head...I also started my period early today for you ladies...I emailed Dr Valenzuala who informed me that this is normal..the shock of the surgery can cause changes to your menstral cycle, some it stops for a while, some it stimulates suddenly..also your bowels pretty much stop for a while..still waiting on those to start up. All this is normal. Beware of Fluid building up in your chest. The nurses forgot to tell me to do the breathing exercises but the doctors did and brought me a spirometer to do this with. Do this so you don't have to cough because coughing as i mentioned sucks!! If I think of any other details or more 2 cents that may help, I will list it...

Height - 5'7 Age 35

Starting Weight - 280.4

Weight on surgery day 268

Weight on day I arrived home 264

smsgirl,

Very informative! Thanks. I haven't seen anyone else talk about breathing exercises or Fluid building up in your chest! Good to know. Is that a thing with this kind of surgery or all surgery? I have never had surgery before.

You and I are about the same size, I'm 5'8" and weighed 268.5 today which is up for me. Next week I start my pre-op diet.

Good Luck!

smsgirl,

Very informative! Thanks. I haven't seen anyone else talk about breathing exercises or Fluid building up in your chest! Good to know. Is that a thing with this kind of surgery or all surgery? I have never had surgery before.

You and I are about the same size, I'm 5'8" and weighed 268.5 today which is up for me. Next week I start my pre-op diet.

Good Luck!

I think this is for most surgerys that require full anesthesia..Plus you are lying in a bed alot for a few days..even though you need to be up walking..that is only a few rounds of the hospital floor each hour but honestly, with the pain meds you stay pretty sleepy..Good Luck..that preop diet was the toughest! and do not eat anything within 24 hours of the surgery except Clear liquids..so you don't get sick!

May 1st in TJ with Cabrera/Valenzuela!

ETA: Surgery has been rescheduled to May 8th!

how was your surgery experience i will be having surgery with the same doctor's on the 28th!

This is who my surgery was with..and the doctors are great. I have emailed them a few times since surgery with questions and they have been very quick to respond! You will be very happy with them.

May 31st, Dr. Alvarez

I'm having my surgery May 24th with Dr Ismael Garcia in TJ. It's really close now and I'm getting very nervous. Any advice?

May 21, 2013 with Dr. Lopez in Mexico :-)

how was your surgery experience i will be having surgery with the same doctor's on the 28th!

Me too!! See you there. Looking forward to meeting you. We can be sleeve buddies. :D