Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do people really do this s**t?

The important thing to remember when in these situations is that if you value those relationships AT ALL you need to realize that these people, as clueless as they are, mean well.

My second thing to say on this subject is that this is a SHINING example of why I do not share this information - everyone who has a chip on their shoulder about losing 4 pounds and keeping it off for a few months will give you their opinions, philosophies, and rules about all things dietary and fitness.

Just this past week' date=' I've encountered two rude people. My sister-in-law informed me I just should have dieted. I wish I had thought of that. Then a co-worker mentioned she considered weight loss surgery but felt it was only for weak, unmotivated people. Gee, thanks![/quote']

Wow... You're not weak nor unmotivated. These people don't quite understand what major surgery means I don't think. Nor that a gastric sleeve doesn't magically suck the fat out of you.... It requires all the right behavioral changes to work. And I just tell people the most jarring facts I've been told by my surgeon: "once you are as heavy as I am, the odds of losing and keeping off the weight non surgically are less than 1%. And even with surgery, 20% of patients regain all the weight back."

Those two facts both defend me from "you should just diet" or "easy way out" remarks, and put me in a position that tells them I am making important behavioral changes too and I know the risks, thank you very much.

I am SOOO tired of trying to explain the basics to people who try to offer advice and know nothing about this surgery/my needs post op... 2L of Water is great but maybe try drinking more (how about you try it when you have to stop drinking 1/2 hour before and after... you let me know if you can get anymore in),

but you know what comment makes me want to FREAK out!?

"you need to be eating more than 1000 calories, that's way too little"

FML

My favorite reply comes with a serious, interested facial expression.

"Thanks for the tip, Captain Obvious!"

Usually shuts them up. ;)

Whatever! When you use this amazing tool to reshape yourself and change your life they will find something else to say. People who haven't struggled with weight just don't get it. But here is the deal, you did it, you! Not the sleeve, your nut or your dr. Yes, they helped you but you did it!!'

I just love when people drop hints and "good spirited" jokes about me being fat. Ding ding ding ding!!!!!!! Thank you SO much for pointing out Tue extremely obvious!!!! I knew there was something wrong hut I just couldn't out my finger on it!!!! Thanks for being first on the scene and breaking the story!!!!!! Idiots.......

On a somewhat related note, I was downtown today and crossing the street talking to my (thin) friend and the driver of the at waiting for us to cross shouted "can you move any slower fatty??" I've never gotten a comment like that it been called names by a complete stranger so I have no idea what to do.

I'm down 30+ pounds in a month and was feeling really good about it until this incident.

Just tell people, "Fortunately, I AM losing the weight. Unfortunately for you, there's no surgery to cure stupidity."

On a somewhat related note, I was downtown today and crossing the street talking to my (thin) friend and the driver of the at waiting for us to cross shouted "can you move any slower fatty??" I've never gotten a comment like that it been called names by a complete stranger so I have no idea what to do.

I'm down 30+ pounds in a month and was feeling really good about it until this incident.

don't let that moron's rudeness affect your valid feelings of success...10 years ago I might have thought of some response like "can you be any more redneck?"...but with the psychos and sociopaths out there nowadays, I feel like it is just best to ignore them...no doubt there will be 100 people who compliment you and congratulate you on your success...with a world full of weirdos, you are bound to run into the occasional jerk

Like its any of her business. Some people are so clueless when it comes to boundaries. *Thoink*

My grandma gave me the whoooole spiel that I'm taking the Easy way out, Al roker got that surgery and lost all the weight but he gained back 30 pounds and now he has to eat EVEN healthier. What makes you think this diet will be any different than any other diet? Why don't you just eat what sUrgery patients eat and skip the sURgery. You've got to stop being so selfish and only thinking of yourself. Have you had your thyroid checked? Another THOINK

Sigh. Nunya