Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How difficult is it to learn to not eat and drink at the same time?

Also, if you forget once and have the pain I did, you'll likely NEVER EVER do it again. And I'm still on liquids. "/ I had a tiny amt of cream of chicken Soup and turned around and drank something out of habit.

I got the heart attack feeling too. :( I'm actually still recovering, 2 days later.

Thanks to all for the replies and appreciate the suggestions. I'm definitely going to put more effort into practicing to get along with our drinking while eating' date=' and was relieved to see that there were others that had the exact same mental struggle with this as me.[/quote']

I honestly wouldn't worry about practicing before surgery, I mean you can if you want but I didn't and I haven't had any problems. I was also one that for example at Breakfast I literally would have coffee, juice and Water all while I ate. I couldn't even imagine not drinking while you eat. But once you have surgery and you are on liquids for a while, you feel almost desperate to start chewing again. When you do start eating food again you are so wrapped up in paying attention to your body and knowing when you are satisfied you don't really think about drinking. Also you learn to eat moist things. Like I wouldn't eat a chicken breast leftover from the night before....too dry and it would feel stuck and I would want to drink. You will be fine. It takes so e getting used to but it's not that hard :)

This was so incredibly helpful!! The whole idea of having a high Protein dip to help things along, makes so much sense - a great "ah-ha!" moment for me - thank you!

And from posts like Amy's, it sounds like my body will definitely let me know if I'm not doing it right. I have to say I'll probably learn pretty quickly from "negative reinforcement"....

Thanks folks -- this has relieved a real mental stress that I had about the procedure.

This was difficult for me to prepare for pre-op, but now I don't really even think about it. When we go out, I do order Water, just so I don't have to explain why I don't need a drink. I sometimes will take one or 2 SMALL sips to help wash a drier food down, but normally never touch it :)

It is a hard thing to remember. Especially when they just really want to give you Water at a restaurant. I tell them no drink and sometimes they bring it anyway so I send it back. Restaurants really freak out when you don't want a drink for some reason. I did it once and I burped and slimed for 2 hours and thought I was gonna die. One thing to remember is you only need just a few bites at a meal, so only at first does it get to you. Put your mind in the right place and it will happen.

It is a hard thing to remember. Especially when they just really want to give you Water at a restaurant. I tell them no drink and sometimes they bring it anyway so I send it back. Restaurants really freak out when you don't want a drink for some reason. I did it once and I burped and slimed for 2 hours and thought I was gonna die. One thing to remember is you only need just a few bites at a meal' date=' so only at first does it get to you. Put your mind in the right place and it will happen.[/quote']

Omg I've noticed that too! It's like when you say no drink you get weird looks and they don't know how to act! So funny! I've even had them bring water to the table after I've said no drink also......I think it makes them feel better or something.

Am I the only person that has not had an issue with eating and drinking at the same time? I mean, I'm barely taking in 8 ounces of Fluid with a meal, but, I find that the food doesn't hurt me so much going down when I drink as well.

Am I the only person that has not had an issue with eating and drinking at the same time? I mean' date=' I'm barely taking in 8 ounces of Fluid with a meal, but, I find that the food doesn't hurt me so much going down when I drink as well.[/quote']

Personally I don't have an issue eating and drinking but I need all the room I can spare for my Protein to get in 60-80 grams a day. And if you drink and eat it flushes out of your tummy quicker and you get hungrier quicker. It's funny I was just watching Dr Oz and he had some nutritionist ( not bariatric) saying to help with weight loss you shouldn't drink when you eat because of it pushing food thru your system quicker. I just don't do it. I can only fit 2 oz of chicken at a time (and i need the protein) so how would I fit even 8 oz of Water in there also? But I've heard other ppl,eat and drink that have been sleeved so to each his own :)

I started practicing pre-op since I was refill queen!!

I drink before my meals, so that I'm not thirsty during the meal. It does suck sometimes to drink about 15 oz of Water on a empty stomach but I'm able to stay full longer after eating. Also on the rare occasion when I do accidentally drink water during a meal, I feel as if I'm going to barf or get very sick to my stomach. I no longer slip up and if I'm out at a restaurant I drink the glass of water before eating.