Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done any reasearch or spoken to their Dr. on why bariatric patients may be more likely to have alcohol issues? I have alcoholism in the family... And it kind if scares me to hear that. Is it it just the replacement of a food addiction with something else perhaps?

My doc told me that I would have to be careful with drinking alcohol because I would get drunk much faster now due to the VSG but that was it.

transfer addiction.....we have addictive personalities.....some transfer to shopping,sex,alcohol....even exercise....it's to know this we can all aware

Well, as a card carrying member of a 12 step program that address such concerns, I know that for me alchohol was what I used to medicate my underlying issues. Alchohol wasn't my problem, it was my solution. It worked ... until it didn't.

This can also be true of people who use food to comfort. Once it can no longer be abused the way it used to, people will search for something else and that sometimes is alchohol.

Definately a deeper discussion ... It isn't quite as simple as I laid it out and I can only speak from my own experience.

03/08/2013

Hi,

I haven't don't have any formal training on the subject or had surgery but just thinking about it food it is most likely alot of over weight peoples drug of choice.

Then when taken away, even voluntarily, if we are unaware we may turn to other drugs to take the place of food. Be it alcohol, cigarettes, or what have you.

Alot of us who are over weight are addicted to food.

It would be like we had a bad day so we had a bowl of ice cream and it made us feel better. So we do that every time we are stressed. Then anytime there is even a little stress we look for the food to make us feel better. So eventually that one little bowl of ice cream now is 10 big bowls of ice cream.

Even though we get fatter and fatter, doesn't make us feel better, or even taste good most of the time we still do it because we have become addicted. We have lost control.

Its probably not that simple but, after surgery and if we are unaware and become stressed we may try to replace that food addiction with another addiction because we can't have the food, (our drug of choice), any longer.

I am certain that is why we are told that WLS is one of many tools to help us finally lose the weight and keep it off.

Sincerily,

Searching

Alchohol wasn't my problem, it was my solution. It worked ... until it didn't.

WOW this hit home with me in a BIG way. In a revelation kind of way.

tumblr_m9dgvzs4521ql5yr7o1_400.gif

I come from an abusive, broken, dysfunctional family with generations of alcoholism and drug abuse. I am not a drinker nor a drug addict, and I've always elevated myself in a small way, giving myself a pat on the back for staying clean and not becoming an addict like the rest of my family.

But I did. food was my solution, and it worked for the last 10 years.

Thank you for the eye-opener.

Whatever I next "cope" with i hope it's something positive like exercise.

(sorry I know this is the man room ( though man-cave would have been a better name for this section!) but lets not kid ourselves, we all read the others' threads!)

WOW this hit home with me in a BIG way. In a revelation kind of way.

I come from an abusive' date=' broken, dysfunctional family with generations of alcoholism and drug abuse. I am not a drinker nor a drug addict, and I've always elevated myself in a small way, giving myself a pat on the back for staying clean and not becoming an addict like the rest of my family.

But I did. food was my solution, and it worked for the last 10 years.

Thank you for the eye-opener.

Whatever I next "cope" with i hope it's something positive like exercise.

(sorry I know this is the man room ( though man-cave would have been a better name for this section!) but lets not kid ourselves, we all read the others' threads!)[/quote']

Kudos to you for recognizing this about yourself. That is 80% of the battle. Once you get hooked on being active, there is no turning back!

AA works if we completely give ourselves to the program and follow directions.

I went to my first AA meeting yesterday afternoon. Didn't sleep good but I made it. I really want to quit drinking. Going back today for another meeting !!

Jason, I am so happy to hear this. IMO, the key at this point is to be willing. Willing to listen to the similarities instead of listening for differences. Being willing to try something different. I remember after my first meeting someone told me that my best thinking got me there that day, so maybe it was time to try some different thinking.

It has been working for me, one day at a time.

p.s. Don't know where you are at on the whole higher power thing, but if it is an issue for you, just substitute the "AA" anytime you hear or read the word "God". PM me if you need my thoughts on this.

I'm going again today! Thank you for your support. I will keep you posted. I'm really ready to do this and I was baptized again on 6dec10. I have a good idea that all my drinking stopped me from attending regularly

Again thank you

Yeah ... drinking and AA are a tough mix, for sure. AA basically ruins the whole drinking thing, gosh darn it! ;) Also, don't be afraid to get a temporary sponsor. It is difficult to understand now, but you are actually doing more for them than what they are doing for you. It is temporary or permanent, if you want it to be.

pdxman, you are my hero. Really. You've overcome so much. And while you enlisted the help of AA and a sleeve, and only you know what all else, YOU are the common denominator in all those positive changes and successes.

pdxman, you are my hero. Really. You've overcome so much. And while you enlisted the help of AA and a sleeve, and only you know what all else, YOU are the common denominator in all those positive changes and successes.

Well, thanks for the mention. For me, life is a wonderful journey. I had (have) so many obstacles keeping me from enjoying my life to its fullest. I have one go around on this experience we call life. I'm tired of not being a participant to its fullest. I'm happy to say the Quest never ends, but at the same time, it does not monopolize my life, either. My usage of alcohol as medication robbed so much of my life, and I want it back. I'm happy to say, I am getting it back ... one day at a time.