Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you went to Mexico...

Which physician did you choose? How and why did you choose them?

I'm not sure if this is an option for me...I worry because my insurance has an exclusion that specifically outlines they will not cover complications or after care from any non-emergent surgery performed outside the US. But I want to do plenty of research into my other options.

My insurance is a self-funded "aetna" plan that is run by a third party administrator. That TPA was intentionally misleading about my requirements. And my worry is if I now jump through this set of hoops they are setting out, what happens when there is another set of hoops. And another. And another. Etc etc etc.

So please give me the skinny on how you came to your decision...I am sure I'm not the only one out there whose insurance has this type of exclusion. I just know that I need to do something ASAP. There are so many programs and physicians to choose from, I just don't know where to start.

Research and personally speaking with a vast amount of people who had surgery there. You must be confident in your choice on all levels. Dr, care, staff, facility, Cordinator, hotel, driver, area, communication etc. dig deep into it all.

Good luck!

Research and personally speaking with a vast amount of people who had surgery there. You must be confident in your choice on all levels. Dr' date=' care, staff, facility, Cordinator, hotel, driver, area, communication etc. dig deep into it all.

Good luck![/quote']

Same here. Research research research!! I spent more time on the doctor than the company. Once I picked the 2 doctors I was comfortable with, I let the company, hospitals, coordinators, and price help me decide from there!

The most valuable research for me was first hand accounts from patients, and this board is a gold mine for that!

For the record, I decided on Dr. Garcia at Mi Doctor Hospital through Ready 4 a Change with Alma as my coordinator. :)

I chose Dr. Fernando Garcia at Mi Doctor Hospital in Tijuana. One factor for me chosing him was my neice used him 4 months prior and she had a great outcome. I read many blogs on the facility and his staff and they were all very true! I had great care. The facility was very clean. Our driver Samuel was very nice and spoke great english! All of the doctors spoke english! There was a little bit of a language barrier with some of the nurses. But not enough to make me worry! It all worked out great!!

I also went through Ready 4 a Change and Alma was my coordinator

I researched since Sept. I am scheduled with Dr Garcia on 4/2! Alma rocks it ! She is 5 billion times better then the US coordinator I had!!!!!

I used dr verboonen in tj. I chose him after a year of research and a coworkers daughter used him and i watched her results.

I used dr verboonen in tj. I chose him after a year of research and a coworkers daughter used him and i watched her results.

I used dr. verboonen in Cancun. He operates in both places.

U use ready4chage just got home today

Here is my short list of criteria on selecting a doctor in Mexico:

1. A surgeon who has performed a lot of weight loss surgery.

2. Member of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery (i.e. need to be able to verify their credentials)

3. The doc should have a lot of positive internet “buzz”, or testimonials on weight loss surgery forums so I could contact those people and get some independent feedback.

4. Would like to go to a part of Mexico WITH NO TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS from the US State Department (Tijuana doesn't have a travel warning)

5. The icing on the cake would be if they were at an International Center of Excellence as designated by the Surgical Review Corporation – same independent body that designates US bariatric Centers of Excellence as measured by outcomes

6. Oh, and I wanted to contact the surgeon DIRECTLY, not through a surgery coordinating company

All the stuff HoosierGirl said plus watching You Tube videos and finally (and most trivially), Dr. Garcia has a great Facebook page. I took about 6 months to decide to go to MX and choose a dr.

I didn't like the "in network" providers (went to two informational seminars) and I'm under 40 BMI with no co-morbidities so insurance coverage was a non-starter for me. Self pay here (Des Moines, IA) would have come to almost $30K. I like MX, I used to live in SoCal so it feels comfortable to me.

Hope to see you around!

All the stuff HoosierGirl said plus watching You Tube videos and finally (and most trivially)' date=' Dr. Garcia has a great Facebook page. I took about 6 months to decide to go to MX and choose a dr.

I didn't like the "in network" providers (went to two informational seminars) and I'm under 40 BMI with no co-morbidities so insurance coverage was a non-starter for me. Self pay here (Des Moines, IA) would have come to almost 30K. I like MX, I used to live in SoCal so it feels comfortable to me.

Hope to see you around![/quote']

I think you made a great decision I'm 1 week post op today I had a great experience with doctor Fernando Garcia prior to going to Mexico he answered all my questions we talked on the phone the coordinator was great onsite nurses are great the hotel stay was great I'm back home and I'm doing wonderful if you have any questions are you want to talk you can always send me a message I am available in for you to answer any questions