Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is a story of a girl...

My name is Kristen...and I am totally a food addict. It took me forever to figure that out. I eat because I love, love, love food. I am not an emotional eater. I am not eating to hide myself. I just love food so much, and I experience "high's" from food consumption, just as a drug addict would. I also work in software development. I work from home for a company on the east coast as a SQA engineer...and I also have a photography business.

I am 39 years old, and as long as I could remember I have struggled with my weight. For me there wasn't a moment where I became fat, like having a baby or something...no, I have just always struggled with my weight. I have yo-yo'd with diets and weight gain all of my adult life. So last May, my mom had a heart attack. She has always been successful managing her weight, and it happened to her. So I knew it was time to change.

I started my VSG journey in October of 2012. I was sleeved on 1/28. For the most part, I have had very little complications. Immediately after surgery, my hearts started having a lot of PVC's (irregular heart beats), so I got the whole cardio package in the hospital. I have always had PVC's, but I guess they didn't occur in the surgery, and started pretty crazy in recovery. I am still working at getting released from the cardiologist, but I am thankful that they are taking it so seriously. I was sleeved in Topeka, KS! Recovery has been pretty good since then. I am down 42 lbs at 4 weeks out. However, that includes my pre-op diet.

I am married with two children. My kids are 18 & 20. Daughter is 20 and getting married in the fall. She is a junior in college and studying to become a HS English teacher. Son is 18, and a freshman in college, not sure what he wants to do. My husband is the best person I have ever met in my life. We have been married over 21 years, so if you do the math - we got married at 18. Ran off and eloped 3 days before he left for basic in USAF! Pre-op, I truly had a lot of self confidence. At one of my dr's visits, my Dr. was talking about my daughter;s wedding and she said something like "You are going to look so much better then!". My reply was "I look pretty dang good now!" :) I am not really that conceited, but I do hate the idea that people think they were hideous when they were overweight. But then again, my husband tells m everyday how beautiful I am...so he would never allow me to feel ugly. He has been so supportive of me getting the sleeve, too...frequently telling me how proud of me he is. :) My husband and I coach a competitive fastpitch 18U team in NE KS. We love our players and their families. This is our 5th year. Both of us have a tremendous heart for children/teens. We have invested much of our life into the youth ministry.

My personality, I am always upbeat and happy. It is a choice I make everyday. I used to be pretty negative. Then I realized I was the one with the problem, not the rest of the world. So now I choose happiness. I choose laughter and often times silliness. Life is way too short to be miserable. I have already offended a couple on here with my sense of humor, I suspect that I probably will offend someone else. So I apologize in advance and will try to be on my best behavior. I stress "try".

The last few weeks of my life have been really hard, so my theories on happiness have been challenged hardcore. One of our softball players was in a car accident and broke her neck. Because of her circumstances, my husband and I think of this young lady as our own. She frequently stays with us, and we pick up a large portion of her softball expenses. When it was time for college recruiting, we took her on all of her college visits....so watching her go through what she did...I truly felt like it was my own kid. While she was in the hospital, my son received some devestating news. His football career is over. He was recruited by over 100 schools his junior and senior years in HS. Several D1's were in that mix. He took an illegal hit to his right knee in a game in his senior year...3 surgeries later it is somewhat fixed. Test results on his left knee shows a 4th surgery is in the future, so as a family we made the decision that football was finished. Knees are something you need a lot longer that a college football career. My daughter pitched in college and made the decision to retire after her sophmore season, because of health issues...that was hard...but she at least got to play in college and experience that. My son signed for a college, but never stepped on the field. :(

Then after all of this...we are dealing with the impending/looming sequestration. If congress doesn't agree on something by Friday, my husband will soon lose his job. He has been an air traffic controller for 21 years, and he will lose his livlihood. There will not be any other ATC jobs if this happens. The tower he works at is scheduled to close as part of the Dept. of Transp. cuts.

In all of this, we will make it. :) We are blessed...am hoping for things to chill out a bit, though. This is who I am...I look forward to getting to know some good support friends on here.

God bless,

Kristen

You are so beautiful everything will turn out okay. Just believe in his name.

I know sometimes in life there is just darkness. And those are the times it is the hardest to find the positive. You are on a path to being the healthiest you that you have ever been. You have a wonderful husband you loves you beyond reason, and two children, who even though their passions were cut short, were spared serious injury. And your player, who has had a devastating injury, is fighting, alive and has not only the support of her family, but apparently the best softball coaches I've ever heard of! There is a lot of positive in there!!

Not too far into my relationship with my husband we had a rough week, to put it lightly... in the span of 8 days, we got a letter that our house was foreclosing (this of course was not a surprise, but we had hoped we could delay the inevitable a little longer while we looked for other housing options), he was in a horrible car accident that left him with a couple of broken ribs and a whole lot of pain and a totaled car, he was laid off from his job of 15 years due to budget cuts and the kicker, we found out I was pregnant (a huge surprise since I was on the pill). It was a BAD week. To date, the worst we have ever had. In the middle of it, we didn't see a way out and even though I am the queen of "things will work out, they always do"... I just didn't see it and I was melting down, and fast.

Within a year, that surprise pregnancy was of course our first of two beautiful baby girls, our foreclosed home was a long forgotten memory and we ended up buying a new home with the help of family that we got at bottom of the market. We now have a bigger home for a third of the mortgage. His totaled car, while not covered by the uninsured driver that hit him, was miraculously covered buy some insurance on his car loan he didn't even remember purchasing, and he ended up getting a job at a company he never would have quit his old job for. But you know, this new company, after 4 years has been the best thing that has ever happened to him. He is now making more than he was before, with a better schedule and better benefits with happier people.

I have always been like you, the positive, good outlook, things will work out, kind of person. Then it was really tested. And honestly, I didn't think it would happen and I started to spiral out a little bit. But I have seen it first hand from the bottom of the pile, that seriously, in the weirdest ways, life can turn around. I pray that things work out and your husband can keep his job! I don't wish a job search on anyone right now!! And I pray for health for your player and new direction and dreams for you kids. I pray for continued success for you.

But you are right. You have a wonderful outlook on life. You are BEAUTIFUL. And the down swings are just that, swings, and the upswing is coming your way!!!

All my love and prayers!!!!!!! :)

I absolutely love your story. You seem like a truly amazing person. You have a kind heart & a positive attitude even during your struggles. We should all aspire to this. God Bless you & your family!

I know sometimes in life there is just darkness. And those are the times it is the hardest to find the positive. You are on a path to being the healthiest you that you have ever been. You have a wonderful husband you loves you beyond reason' date=' and two children, who even though their passions were cut short, were spared serious injury. And your player, who has had a devastating injury, is fighting, alive and has not only the support of her family, but apparently the best softball coaches I've ever heard of! There is a lot of positive in there!!

Not too far into my relationship with my husband we had a rough week, to put it lightly... in the span of 8 days, we got a letter that our house was foreclosing (this of course was not a surprise, but we had hoped we could delay the inevitable a little longer while we looked for other housing options), he was in a horrible car accident that left him with a couple of broken ribs and a whole lot of pain and a totaled car, he was laid off from his job of 15 years due to budget cuts and the kicker, we found out I was pregnant (a huge surprise since I was on the pill). It was a BAD week. To date, the worst we have ever had. In the middle of it, we didn't see a way out and even though I am the queen of "things will work out, they always do"... I just didn't see it and I was melting down, and fast.

Within a year, that surprise pregnancy was of course our first of two beautiful baby girls, our foreclosed home was a long forgotten memory and we ended up buying a new home with the help of family that we got at bottom of the market. We now have a bigger home for a third of the mortgage. His totaled car, while not covered by the uninsured driver that hit him, was miraculously covered buy some insurance on his car loan he didn't even remember purchasing, and he ended up getting a job at a company he never would have quit his old job for. But you know, this new company, after 4 years has been the best thing that has ever happened to him. He is now making more than he was before, with a better schedule and better benefits with happier people.

I have always been like you, the positive, good outlook, things will work out, kind of person. Then it was really tested. And honestly, I didn't think it would happen and I started to spiral out a little bit. But I have seen it first hand from the bottom of the pile, that seriously, in the weirdest ways, life can turn around. I pray that things work out and your husband can keep his job! I don't wish a job search on anyone right now!! And I pray for health for your player and new direction and dreams for you kids. I pray for continued success for you.

But you are right. You have a wonderful outlook on life. You are BEAUTIFUL. And the down swings are just that, swings, and the upswing is coming your way!!!

All my love and prayers!!!!!!! :)[/quote']

Thanks love! It is good to know that someone else understands! :) :)

I'm just a couple of hours away in Wichita. I was sleeved feb 18, and yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE food too! I am 42, married with 2 kids (son 13 & daughter 11). You are a beautiful person and I truly enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing :)

Loved reading your story. You are an inspiration. I live few hours away as well in Great Bend. I was sleeved in Lenexa at the KC Bariatric Center on Dec. 6, 2012. I haven't had any complications either. I love food too and know I am an addict. My sleeve is my accountability partner! :)

Thanks for sharing your story. You sound like an amazing person with a great outlook on life. So sorry to hear about your softball player :( My girls both play competitive softball so the sport is near and dear to my heart. Can't wait to get to know ya :)

Thanks for sharing your story. You and your family sound amazing, and very resiliant. I hope you continue to do well with your new sleeve!!

Thanks everyone! I so very much appreciate all the warm words and encouragement. I am hoping to awake in the morning and find that the budget crisis has been resolved! (I know wishful thinking!)

I just read this!

First off, in case you didn't know..

I really like you :)

And I really hope that those idiots on capital hill quit bickering and work it out!

I just read this!

First off' date=' in case you didn't know..

I really like you :)

And I really hope that those idiots on capital hill quit bickering and work it out!

[/quote']

Me too! And the feeling is mutual. :)

Hey K - I only just saw this post. I can't believe I missed it.

You sound like you have an amazing family filled with love. It's a great thing. I know you'll overcome any adversity that gets thrown your way. And obviously we're here to vent when you need to.

I have a habit of finding wonderful friends. I knew we hit it off for a reason :)