Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was ready but now terrified!

Well I was SO ready for this, pumped and everything!!! Now I woke up today SCARED S#*TLESS!! WTF is this about??? I have been approved by ins and now just waiting for a date. Is this normal or should I hold off for a while??? Help!!!!!!

You are going to go through a rollercoaster of emotion right up until they put the mask over your nose. It is totally normal. This is a major, life altering decision. would seriously question someone who didn't go through this. Just keep researching if you are unsure. I started exercising a month pre-op. I found it helped center me. Having a higher endurance helped my recover, too.

You can do this! Just keep reminding yourself of what your life will be like in the long run. If you put it off now and wait who is to say your not going to keep putting it off, or even not have it done at all. You were accepted now is your time to start your journey and new life. Constantly reminder yourself of every positive outcome!

It seems like this is a common reaction that most of us go through. I sat myself down and went through all the reasons I was scared. Articulated or wrote each one down. Then addressed them bullet by bullet.

The biggest question was if I was absolutely ready to make the change. If the answer was yes, then I scheduled. If it were simply fears of change I didn't let that hold me back. Not changing wasn't getting me where I knew I wanted to go.

Fear though is common. You're about to dramatically change your life.

Thanks and I do keep reminding myself of the benefits. Just last night I told my wife that I can't wait till food no longer holds an appeal to me (as I've heard many say post sleeve) and I get smaller. Don't know where this mind job has come from. I know I NEED this, for me, my wife, and ESP my kids!! I may die of a meteor strike hi I do NOT want to die from food!!!

I did this for 2 years... I went back and forth, I want this, no I want to do it on my own, I'm a single mom what if something happens I can't be selfish, What ifs, I finally said stop, I NEED to change my life, not only for myself but because my daughter is relying on me. This is not only going to benefit you, but it will benefit your wife and children so all can be fully healthy! You can do it... :)

And yes I think its the fear of "change" that has me all balled up. I've researched this surgery about as much as I can. I've called people who I've heard has had it and picked their brain and questioned them extensively. I know all the possible pitfalls bit I also see the benefits. Also a little worried about how I'll feel after I lose all the weight and look so different. Just dumb, useless worries I guess......

Never dumb or senseless. It's normal. Like everyone just said, keep your goal up front and center. I have 2 friends who had the surgery 5 months ago. One lost 85 freakin pounds already! The other is close behind. They both love it and are so happy! Surround yourself with positive people and positive friends. That's what I'm doing and it helps! Yeah we all are aware of "what can happen" and it's good to be aware. But the last thoughts I want to have before surgery are happy positive ones. Stick with us. There are a lot of positive happy people here to help :)

Before I had WLS, I was terrified. I don't think I was actually any less terrified when I checked into the hospital or when I was rolled into the OR. But, I did it anyway and I honestly don't know why I didn't run, but I'm glad I didn't, even considering how screwy my journey has been (you can find my story on my profile if you're interested!). I was a food addict and I knew what I was signing on to give up! Imagine if you were an alcoholic and you were signing on to never be able to get drunk again. You wouldn't be doubting your fears, you'd be running for the hills!!

We are not just changing our body or our eating habits, we are changing the way we live. For me at least, a lot of my day revolves around getting to my next meal. Eating is social and therapeutic and not least of all necessary process to thrive. We can't quit cold turkey like most addicts. We have to find a way to drink without getting drunk, and I think it's ok to be terrified by that idea.

But, I promise you, that this will be easier than you think. And I promise you, that you will love the new you. I promise you that will not miss food like you think you will. And most of all, I promise you will love feeling healthy!!!! :)