Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rapid weight loss question

I am looking forward to my new weight loss journey but am just curious how to deal with questions from others. I am revealing details about my surgery with those who are close to me but don't feel comfortable sharing with acquainstances I see often. Was wondering how others on here have dealt with questions explaining your very sudden drop in weight.

I told my co-workers I needed hernia surgery (true) and it was no big deal I was on a diet before surgery, I am going back to work 23 pounds lighter than when I left 2 weeks ago,,,,I just plan on telling people I am doing low cal high Protein diet (true)the rest is just none of their business...

I'm almost 4 months out abd haven't really had anyone ask what my secret is. They just tell me I look good. I've lost 52 pounds so I don't think its suspiciously fast. It might be different when I've lost more but as of now I haven't had to explain myself.

really its your choice to share your info or not. people need to respect that. Ive been questioned and just said Im on a diet/exersice plan, watching what I eat. then I quickly but casually change the subject and ask them how there doing. Im open with some people when I feel comfortable, but really its my business. surgery for weight loss seems to be a misunderstood topic with most people who still believe in the "natural" way and they dont understand that maybe some peoples bodies are different. dont feel like your obligated to tell your story at all. :)

It's my private business and I just tell them I'm not eating as much and low carbs.

You may be hearing from some around here who believe we should share our private issues with the world ..as in the "why lie" post. To each his own and mine is mine

Watch out ;-)

I honestly dont think the weightloss is as rapid with VSG then with RNY...my friend/co-worker was at goal in 9 months when she had RNY 6 years ago and she lost 160 pounds....I'll be 9 months in March and 2 pounds away from 100 and I have 70 more pounds to lose...

I am looking forward to my new weight loss journey but am just curious how to deal with questions from others. I am revealing details about my surgery with those who are close to me but don't feel comfortable sharing with acquainstances I see often. Was wondering how others on here have dealt with questions explaining your very sudden drop in weight.

I told by few people pre-op. However, the people I see often and eat lunch with in the break room I did tell post - op. They ask questions in a nice way because they want to understand the process. I explain the best way I can.... Most have turned in to my biggest cheer leaders. In my line of work we wear uniforms... The other day one of them said Tina it is time you get fitted for some smaller uniforms.... Those clothes are falling off you.... She smiled and said good for you we are proud of you.

Now there are others I work with that all I tell them when they ask is: It's calories in vs calories out. Eat right and exercise. Most of these people do not ask a second time. I do not share any magic bullet with them that they are looking for. Sorry if I rambled on lol. Best wishes Tina

I agree i have shared only with my husband daughter and boss... Everyone else that ask i tell them im on a high Protein low carb diet and i am working with a nutritonist... I dont care to share anything else and if they are suspicious of my answer which i believe some maybe but dont have the guts to say it to my face its their problem not mine(lol) #Loving my new outlook on life!!!

TD41

I'm telling everyone who asks about it, so far everyone has been supportive of my decision. A female I work with who had the sleeve said people tend to take it better from guys having the surgery vs women for some reason.

I only told a select few at first because I didn't want to hear people's opinions and negativity even though it wouldn't have changed my mind anyway. I just said "I would be out for about four weeks" and sometimes adding that I am having surgery but not saying what it is. While I was out from the surgery, I gave my coworker who knew permission to tell others we work with. And my Mom told a few people. I was so surprised at how supportive people were and I heard of more people who had had it done or had looked into it or knew people who had and had stayed supportive. I am more comfortable now with people knowing (and now nobody can try to talk me out of it.) I also found out about a month later that my supervisor from my night job (he's a Psychologist) had an interest in weight loss surgery was starting to conduct pre-surgery psych evals and was looking for people who wanted to do some pre-op and post-op counseling (I am a social worker.) Before, he knew I was out for surgery but didn't know with what. That was my sign to tell him and he was very interested.

Thanks for all the great answers. With me being so private this has really helped me plan on what I will say when asked questions

I told some people but others I told them I had a hiatal hernia repaired which I did so I'm not lying. As they see me lose weight, I'm just gonna say the doctor made me change my diet bc of he hernia.

I'm very happy with my decision to have surgery, and I tell anyone who asks how I'm doing it. After all everyone could see how big I was and obviously couldn't stick to anything long term to lose it. I would be more embarrassed to have someone find out later that I had not told the truth about it. No shame in the truth.