Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my foods, what's wrong...so frustrated..

Splenda IS aspertame...

that is incorrect

Splenda is the brand name for sucrolose

Equal is the brand name for aspertame

two different things.....although I don't think either one is healthy in large quantities.

To the OP: when you weigh yourself make sure you only use the same scale all the time. When you use your doctors, home then curves they can all be different and then discouraging. Just stick to your home scale.< /p>

Does Curves have any free weights? If so, put a 10 lb weight on the scale to see if it is accurate and if it is you can adjust your home weight up or down to match the Curves scale.

Splenda IS aspertame...

No - Splenda is Sucralose...still an artificial sweetener, but different chemical structure.

I've been using True Lemon, True Lime, and True Orange - flavorings with no sweetener at all.

So, like others have said, every dietician/surgeon has a different plan for eating post op. I want to share what has worked for me.

My ONLY restrictions are no more than 30 grams net carbs and at LEAST 90 grams of Protein. I have absolutely no fat or calorie restrictions. Let me tell you why.... Our bodies use two things for energy...carbs and fat. Carbs are the easiest to use and our bodies are lazy. Using fat for energy is a much harder harder process. So, if we don't give our bodies the carbs for energy, it has to use the fat. Now that fat comes from the food we eat and the stored fat in our bodies. If we don't give our bodies the easy fuel ( carbs ) it has no choice but to use the fat as fuel. That's why low carb works so well.

Most people, including myself, look at the above info and say, ok so if I reduce the amount of fat I eat then my body will have to use the stored fat, but for some reason, that doesn't work.

As far as net carbs, and please forgive me if you already knew this, that is the amount of carbs minus the Fiber. So if you ate something that has 10 carbs and 3 grams of Fiber, you subtract the fiber from the carbs and get 7 net carbs. It makes it a lot easier for you to find a nice balance between trying to swear off all carbs and being able to add more foods in for variety.

If you are interested in the very lengthy, but very informative study behind the low carb approach, my surgeon emailed it to me and I would be happy to email it to you.

So my advice, try only limiting your carbs. Don't worry about the fat and calories. I promise your scale will start making you happy!

I was literally told, DO NOT EAT LOW FAT! Low fat translates to "more carbs". Because they have to replace the fat they have taken out with something that will make it taste better. And that is always sugar. Take a look at the low fat labels next time you are at the grocery store next time, if it says low fat, compare it to the full fat version and see which has more sugar. salad dressing is an easy example. People have been brain washed to believe that fat is bad, it's only bad when combined with high carb.

Sorry this was so long, it just kills me to see people feeling restricted after this beautiful gift we have been given. Please feel free to message me on here or add me on my fitness pal. My user name there is sleeve2012.

One more thing, when I hit what I call a stall ( not a true stall though) I upped my calories and the weight started coming off again. I temporarily got side tracked with all I had read about low calorie, it screwed me up for about two weeks. That's when the dietician reminded me.... absolutely don't worry about calories.

I can certainly understand your fustration. Maybe you are taking in to much Protein. What kind of Protein Shakes are you using cause some of them are weight gainers. You are also exercising which by building muscle combined with all the protein intake might stall the scale. But you should be losing inches. Did you measure yourself, are your clothes looser? Hope things pick up for you. Going back to liquid for a week might not be a bad idea. how many protien drinks do you take a day? they suggest 60 grams of protein a day, I drink 2 6oz drinks a day each drink is 30 grams of whey protein. My son drinks protein shakes to gain weight and bulk up for football so again be careful in the one you pick up.

Soooooooo frustrated....I've checked out the "whatcha eating ..." forums...checked out sample menus' date=' etc...most post are over 2 years old..but I can say that I'm eating like ya'll.

My staple foods/grocery list includes:

eggbeaters, turkey bacon

deli meat, 2% cheese slices, weight watchers cheese strings

ground turkey, turkey patties, chicken patties, chicken fajita meat, chicken breasts

triskets crackers, beef Jerky

crystal light, Water Enhancer drops, low sodium V8

and of course Quest bars and Protien drink mixes (nectar and BA)..

today so far...Protien shake for Breakfast (8oz)

on my 4-5 glass of crystal light already

eggbeaters scrambled eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon for lunch

will probably get bored here in a bit, and snack on deli meat (roast beef), or string cheese, or Jerky

some sort of chicken for dinner

and a Quest bar for late dessert

I'm up 6lbs today...was down 3 yesterday...I'ts been doing this since end of January...haven't lost any since the significant loss after surgery.

I'm fairly picky eater, that's why you don't see veggies in the list, salads are boring, plus I get full with just eating protien.

I'm doing Protein, Protein, protein, Water water water!!

I go to Curves at least 3 x a week. I will go walk here in a sec, Curves is closed...Still not in shape to do major excersising...but I'm moving.

I'm so frustrated and depressed, I want a margarita (which I've cold turkey achohol...maybe a glass of Moscato at night before bed, but I've had that same bottle of wine since January)...

I've held in my bad, negative attitude about my non weight loss long enough...Because I don't like feeling this way. I'm a happy, no worries kind of person!! But this is a worry! Oh and the Dr. bill I just received!! But that's a whole nother post!! (I could buy a car for that bill, when insurance said I met "out of pocket expense"...liver biopsy as much as the surgery and not covered...What up??!!) So that stress, and no weight loss....not a good combination...[/quote']

Well, it sounds like not enough fiber, too much fats (meats) too much protein (meats) and way to much preservatives. I think you need to cut out the preservative food and incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies. I know the surgery is a lifestyle change, and that includes a commitment to eating health. I've gone to curves in the past, not a very effective workout for me (I did it for a year) I saw women there who had been going for years and only gained weight. Also, alcohol contains sugar and yeast. I would try the Mediterranean diet plan. It's not a diet for "weight loss" but rather maintaining healthy weight and eating habits. Also remember that a plateau is normal and I'm thinking maybe try using some ketosticks? I'm not even a week post up and already down 13 lbs. I tried a ketostick today just for the fun if it and it is as dark purple as my black cherry jello! I'm anxious to get off the processed foods and back to real food.

Maybe try some measurements and inches? They sometimes go down when lbs are not.

I'd always been very small my whole life and then I got a tubal ligation, developed psoc and II diabetes. Idk what my heaviest weight was but it was more then the scale could tell me. My lowest was 98lbs. I gained an avg of 23lbs a month in 2006/2007. Finally in dec 2007 I decided to hardcore diet on Atkins induction and curves (curves was the only gym in the town) from dec 07 to dec 08 I went from 300+ to 189. Then it stopped. I started eating unhealthy again, stopped walking and went right up to 240 where I've been for a couple years now (between 240 and 220) I've been able to maintain my weight however, so that's how I gauge my success already with the surgery, though I'm extremely uncomfortable. I'm taking my life back and it will be better for me my husband and my children. My husband has not seen me in a dress since our wedding day . Our anniversary is March 25th. I intend in surprising him 10months from now when I'm a nice size 5/6!

Don't give up hope, try a support group, keep accurate food journal and discipline yourself! You can do it!

Hi Everyone!! Thank you for all the info!! I've been really concentrating on doing everything right, I still mess up though...The scale finally started moving and kept moving steadily, officially 55lbs down, 6 months post op, still seems slow, but I'll take it. I do journal with MyFitnessPal, and was regularly going to Curves until I broke a toe 2 weeks ago, and then reinjured it a couple of days ago. My day consists of a Protein drink for breakfast....half a dry sandwich on jewish rye with usually roast beef or turkey (no mayo, no mustard, sometimes cheese), snack on babybell cheese, and a piece of fish, or shrimp, or a chicken patty, or small steak at night....that's about it...I added a glass of wine here and there and a margarita also, and it hasn't thrown me off. I have my 6 month follow up soon, and I really felt like I was going to go in there with 20lbs lost...thankfully that won't be the case. I've never measured, but Curves has, which I started about 3 months post op. So I am anxious to get back in there and have them measure me...

Thanks again everyone!!

oh...and still not a Water drinker...eek... I do get all my fluids in, but it is in the form of Crystal Light or Vitamin 0 water....I drink and pee all day!! lol

oh...and still not a Water drinker...eek... I do get all my fluids in' date=' but it is in the form of Crystal Light or Vitamin 0 water....I drink and pee all day!! lol[/quote']

Crystal light is not Water. The preservatives and chemicals in it changes the molecular makeup of the water into something else. You need to find a way to get actual water in. Plus, aspartamene and all those fake sugars are carcinogens and cause weight gain!!!!. Remember you had this surgery to take your life back. I'm sorry to be direct but cold cuts are far from healthy. If you want meat on your sandwich cook It, roast a turkey or chicken, make a chuck roast. I'm a strait forward person and very direct so I'm not trying to be mean here, just telling what I see. Sodium (which your diet appears to be loaded with) also causes massive Fluid retention. Buy bottled water or get a filter. If you have children set an example for them. Gotta ditch the alcohol, I've seen way to many people fail because they couldn't ditch the alcohol. Get some ketosticks, the Walmart brand is only $10. If you are in ketosis then you're okay. If your not in ketosis, that explains your lack of weight loss. The food news is you can get into ketosis within 24 hours. Your preserved chicken patties and lunch meats are more sugar and preservatives and worse for you then mayo is. Try cooking some thin sliced chicken breast instead. Toast you rye, throw a slice of Tomato and low sodium low fat cheese (1 slice) it's called a chicken supreme sandwich. And I'm sorry but you need way more veggies. The bulk of your meals should be 3/4 veggies, 1/8 meats and 1/8 carbs. Did you attend the educational class prior to surgery? If so I'm guessing they would have told you all this. Are you following up with a nutritionist? They will tell you the same. We had one gal in my educational class who decided she couldn't give up diet Pepsi, so she got rejected from having surgery. Another couldn't give up alcohol, she she was rejected also. Remember this surgery is a commitment. You made a promise to yourself. We had to sign contracts to commit to eat healthier.